Skater Signature pieces that should not be reused | Golden Skate

Skater Signature pieces that should not be reused

K

kwansong999

Skater Signature pieces that should not be reused

Which music has become a signature piece for a particular skater and should <strong>not</strong> be used by another skater? Im curious as to what examples everyone can come up with.

S

sk8cynic

Re: Skater Signature pieces that should not be reused

Haven't we seen this before?

Bolero - Torville & Dean
Winter - Alexei Yagudin
Love Story - Sale & Pelletier
Adagio for the 21th Century - Bourne & Kraatz
Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto #2 - Sasha Cohen
Black Swan - Oksana Baiul
Prelude de l'Apres...... - Janet Lynn

I left Michelle Kwan's programs out of my list since I know the Kwaniacs will likely list her anthology. ;)

E

Excidra2001

Re: Skater Signature pieces that should not be reused

Here is my list:

Winter-Yagudin
Turndot-Shen and Zhoa
Culture-Irina Slutskaya
Song of the black swan-Baiul
East of Eden-Kwan
Salome-Kwan
Tosca-Slutskaya
River dance-Bourn and Kraatz
Shine on you crazy diamond-ina and Zimmerman

M

MSI83

Signature pieces

Torvill and Dean- Bolero
Michelle Kwan- The Red Violen
Lu Chen- Rach
Baiul- Swan Lake
Candeloro- Godfather

So many skaters have used Carmen, but personally I felt the best Carmen was Krylova and Ovsiannokov.

C

Chaignee

Hi

Last year in the Olympics, when I saw Alexandr Abt skating his long program, I thought of Michelle Kwan's Rach short cos it was the same music. This year, when watching Michelle's short and the free dance of Navka and Kostamarov, I think of Pasha and Platov.

M

mpal2

Re: Hi

I have to agree that no one should skate to Red Violin. This year at Nationals we got to see several lower level skaters try it. Bad idea. Bad, bad, bad idea. It's a complicated piece of music that MK did so well.

E

eltamina

This is somewhat off topic, but Sasha Cohen ruined Rach #2 for me, I am hoping Sasha Abt will skate to Rach #2 and redeem this piece as skating music for me.

L

Lucy25

I agree with many of the already listed pieces, but I would add the version of "Romeo and Juliet" that A&P used at the Olympics. I am not a dance fan at all, but I loved that program and whenever I hear that music I think of it.

I think nowadays it is hard for a skter to have a signature piece because the music gets recycled so much. I didn't want anyone to skate to Bolero ever again. They should have retired that music after Torvil and Dean used it. It would be cool if skating music could be retired, like they do athletes' numbers.

G

GoldenLady1

Rach 2

Eltamina, I agree totally about Sasha Cohen and Rachmaninoff's second piano concerto. I LOVE that work, but Sasha's program just doesn't do anything for me... When I watch it now, I put the TV on mute. I thought Lu Chen's version, however, was exquisite.

J

Joesitz

Re: Rach 2

My dear - All thos Rachs, Carmens, Malaguenas, Don Q's, etc., banned!

Joe

L

Lucy25

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>My dear - All thos Rachs, Carmens, Malaguenas, Don Q's, etc., banned![/quote]
Yes! Retire them all!

N

nysk8r

I would actually like to see someone skate to Carmen, but in a comical manner- not goofy, but a more lighthearted approach.

Whenever I think of Rach, I think of MK's short program and the original LP that Sarah did before the Olympics. Her spiral there is very well-placed with the music. Unfortunately, Sasha LP has the same part of Sarah's LP, but tacked on in the middle of her program- just wrong:( .

Butterfly Lovers belongs to Lulu :) .

Daphis et Chloe belongs to Sarah :) .

East of Eden belongs to Michelle :) .

And TFB belongs to Oksana Baiul :) .

Carmen, Malaguena, Swan Lake, and Aranjuez are all public domain. :p

K

KwanFan1212

Hmmmm, first off, I agree about the Carmens, Rachs, etc. with them being banned! Augh!! :eek: Next, here are the only ones that I really cannot see being skated to by other skaters.

Love Story-Jamie & David :cool:
East of Eden and Fields of Gold-Michelle Kwan :cool:
Bolero-Torvill & Dean
Riverdance-Shae & Vic
Butterfly Lovers-Lu Lu
Moonlight Sonata-Sergei & Katia
Nessum Dorma-Brian Boitano
First Knight-Todd Eldredge

G

gardana

skating pieces

I have a split view on this topic. On the one hand, it is interesting to see how everyone interprets the music. For example, in 1964(?) the Protopopovs skated to Liebestraume, and in 1992 Mishkutenok and Dmitriev skated to the same music. Both interpreted the music in their own ways. So, if skaters stopped using other skaters signature pieces, then we may not be able to see <strong>new</strong> signature pieces.
Another example is Rach 2nd, some associate it with M/D some with Lulu and some with Sasha.

On the other hand, I cringe every time I see someone skating to a "signature" piece, and not be able to carry it off. Not to mention, when people hear Moonlight Sonata, Bolero, Fields of Gold, Love Story, Rachmanioff 2nd(personally I associate the music with M/D rather than Sasha), they automatically are going to think of those signature programs.
So basically, I don't really think there are any sacred cows, but if your going to skate to music that is another skater's signature piece-make sure you can carry it off.

E

Emilieanne

Re: skating pieces

I would add Kurt Browning's "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca to the list.

D

Dee4707

I would like to add Alexei's 'Man in the Iron Mask.'

Dee

N

Nadya Lyubova

The music Plushenko used in the beginning of OUATIA. I forgot the name of it....whenever I hear it, I feel like Plushenko is going to come on ice...

Nutcracker... it's too "Yagudin" ;)

Victorious City. Too "Abt" ;)

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr> would add Kurt Browning's "As Time Goes By" from Casablanca to the list. [/quote]

ITA!

Alexei's Gladiator...

Kurt's Nyah(though it could make a good pairs or ice dance program)
Scott's With One More Look
Kurt's Bring Him Home
Anything Charlie Chaplain is strictly B/S anymore :)
Jamie and David's Love Story, Jalousie, and Poor Una Cabeza
Moonlight Sonata, Katia and Sergei
Sleeping Beauty, and Just For You definately belong to Angela Nikodinov

J

Jules Asner

I don't think any skater should 'own' the piece of music. I thought it was great and kinda spunky when Naomi Nari Nam used Michelle's Signature RACH SP the very next year (for her LP) and it was a great program.

But a certain skaters certainly have programs they will be remembered by.

When I see MK doing "the feeling begins" I spend the entire program picturing Oksana skating in a purple turban in the dark and wishing the arena would dim the lights so MK could really get her groove on.

E

emiC

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>But a certain skaters certainly have programs they will be remembered by. When I see MK doing "the feeling begins" I spend the entire program picturing Oksana skating in a purple turban in the dark and wishing the arena would dim the lights so MK could really get her groove on.[/quote]

So you remember Baiul by the skating or non skating merits of her program. I remember MK's rachmaninov #3 by the skating merits. Sure NNN had a cute interpretation, but it was cute then and don't remember much by now.