Technical Question re: video feed | Golden Skate

Technical Question re: video feed

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi there. I am a technical IDIOT with computer stuff. I tried to install the ESPN 360. It seemed the install went fine. I was able to pull up the site, and the "welcome" thing started playing. I got sound, but no picture where the video should have been - just a blank screen.

I've had this happen before where some videos will play, and others just give me a blank screen with sound.

As a test, I went to Red Dog's site and played the video of Elena L's short program from Europeans. That video came up fine with picture and sound.

I'm trying to figure out what's missing where some video's won't play.

Any ideas from the more computer literate crowd?? I know Mr. Doggygirl will be able to fix it, but he's not here right now, and I sure want to try to see whatever video of Europeans is on this "free weekend" before it's over.

Thanks!!

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
Hey DG, I have that problem as well (with my Mac- the PC plays them just fine). I think those are the .avi movies w/that divx compressor that don't play on certain computers.

Try downloading the latest version of DivX and see if the file will work.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Red Dog...

Thanks so much for your help. I just googled DivX and came up with a couple different web site names that all appear rather official. I want to make sure I don't download any $hit onto my computer. What is the official DivX site?

Thanks for all your help!! And by the way, I'm LOVING your video site - seeing skates I would never in my life get to see on TV in the US. Don't know why I waited so long!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Update...

Based on a "help" thing on the ESPN360 site, I decreased something called "Acceleration" in Windows Media Player. That worked as far as getting video on ESPN 360, but there were still moments of buffer problems. So I'm wondering if DivX is a solution to that? Don't want to bore everyone to death here....maybe I'm the only one having these types of problems. I can take this off line if appropriate.

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
All DivX is is a video encoder/decoder. The buffering issue has to do with your broadband connection. Is there a way for you to get a lower bitrate broadcast?

I'm glad you're enjoying the vids forum. I hope to get more videos from the European championships online, so stick around!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi again Red Dog...

If I download (I assume that means "buy") DivX, will that sort of be a work around to speed / buffer problems? My general impression from reading info about that software is that it might overcome some of that. But maybe it's wishful thinking on my part.

I will definately be on the lookout for more Euro videos on your site. I suspect we will see only a very few skates on the US TV coverage. In your opinion, will ESPN360, or this DivX thing allow me to get more coverage via the internet than I can get today on US TV? (delayed coverage aside) Somehow, someday I'm going to figure out how to get more live and delayed coverage using all this frickin' modern technology!

Thanks for tolerating my TI. (Techno Idiotness) :)

DG

R.D.

Record Breaker
DIvX is a software program and shouldn't affect your internet speed. Once again, it's your connection. DIvX might allow you to play those .avi files on the internet so in that sense you can say you will get more coverage.

I don't have ESPN 360 because it doesn't support Mac or AOL, so I can't answer that question. It might allow you to see some inside footage or extra fluff but I don't know about more skaters. It's possible though.