Thinking about purchasing Klingbeils | Golden Skate

Thinking about purchasing Klingbeils

danamartens

Spectator
Hi I need some advice on Klingbeils! I am an older (26) skater doing doubles , skating 2 times per week and am pretty hard on my skates. I have generally skated in SP teri delux and have purchased a pair of SP teri advantage skates a couple years ago in the exact same size as my old delux skates. I have found the the Advantage fits much differently than the deluxe. It seems to be much larger in the fore foot area and my heal slips very easily. So I unfortunately can't stand wearing them and am out quite a bit of money. I was at a shop here that recomended the custom Klingbeils, but wasn't able to try them on. I have heard that they are one of the only manufacturers to make the boot to your feet, is this true? I am also curious about durability and whether anyone with heal slipping problems have bought Klingbeils. I don't want to order theese skates and have the same problem I am having now woth the sp teris.
Thanks

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
No, any boot maker that offers a custom fitting service makes boots to your feet - Klingbeil's are the best known, but there are plenty of others - Harlick & Schindler spring instantly to mind.

But if I were you I'd go to a really good fitter - ask your coach where they would suggest, or (the parents of) a younger skater at a similar level to you - and discuss the problem with them. It may be that you don't need custom fitting boots, but just another brand. See if you can try on several different brands and find out what feels most comfortable for your particular-shaped feet. There's no "one size fits all" in skating....

I take it De Luxe is no longer quite enough boot for you? Otherwise, I'd say stay with what you know!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
DANAMARTENS,

I have been through the whole SPTeri versus Klingbeil saga. I spent over a year breaking in "custom" SPTeri's. They were the most uncomfortable boot that I had ever worn, and it was a year before I could skate in them for an entire freestyle session. When I could, my feet would be numb. And we did it ALL with the fitting for the Teri's. The casted foot mold, the foam pad, the measurements, the whole works. I was really starting to have problems.

Then in November I went to NYC to celebrate my 35th birthday and go visit Klingbeil with my SPTeri boots in tow. Don Klingbeil took one look at the inside of my boots and the way that they were wearing and said that Tim Goebel was having the exact same problem with his Teri's.

I cannot express to you the warmth and customer service of this establishment. Mr. Klingeil, Don's dad, does all of the fittings. There is this special chair that has been graced with Olympic behinds where he does the measurements. He has been in the business for a very long time. I got a tour of the place, and being a fellow seamstress sewer person, Don let me sew on some leather at the machine that puts the boots together. He showed me the leather that they use and that process used to assemble the boots. I even got to touch Sasha's and Tim's boots.

The first day that I got my boots I skated in them for 2 hours straight. That was unheard of in my Teri's. I got the boots in December, and I a totally used to the new boot and have found my center of gravity. I was in my boots for 6 solid hours last Friday. I have compared the quality of the leather and the stitching to the Teri's and you can tell a difference. Email them, and go to their site and check it out. See for yourself. If you are near Jamaica, NY stop in. It is well worth the trip. I flew there from Arkansas to specifically see them, and I am glad that I did. Oh, and whenthe boots are done, you can send the blades and they will mount them for you.

Petlover

On the Ice
I am 51 years old, doing some single jumps (no axel, lutz, or flip yet), skate 6 hours per week, and wear custom Klingbeils that are 5 and 1/2 years old. They took about a week to break in, but were very comfortable from the start. I got the medium support, and the boots are still in wonderful shape with lots of support and no slipping (I am on my second pair of blades). The coach at my rink who fitted me spent about an hour taking seemingly hundreds of measurements of my foot, along with a foot imprint - she did a remarkable job. Based on my experience, I highly recommend Klingbeils.
Marcia

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I'm on my second pair of Klingbeils. My first pair were S-2's, and they lasted me for 2 years. I did have heal slippage at the end, but that was because they had pretty much broken down on the inside. I understand that Klingbeil would have rebuilt the inside for me, and I may have gotten a few more months out of them, but I decided to get new ones.

I now have a pair of the Super-Lites, in strentgh S-3 (I was able to bend the S-2's too much). I've been in them for two weeks, am back to doing all my doubles (well, all two of them :laugh: ). They feel just fine - in fact, I was doing axels the first day with just a bit of pain in the ankles. The pain cleared up after the first few days.

They specialize in customs, of course, but my boots are actually stock boots.

soogar

Record Breaker
Glacierskater said:
DANAMARTENS,

Then in November I went to NYC to celebrate my 35th birthday and go visit Klingbeil with my SPTeri boots in tow. Don Klingbeil took one look at the inside of my boots and the way that they were wearing and said that Tim Goebel was having the exact same problem with his Teri's.

What exactly was the problem you were having with the wearing (or how were the boots wearing)? I'm in SP Teri's right now and the toes are kind of tight and they're 13 years old (I didn't wear them for a while and started wearing them again last year). I think I might need a new pair of skates as mine are wearing out but I'm not sure what brand to get.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
soogar said:
What exactly was the problem you were having with the wearing (or how were the boots wearing)? I'm in SP Teri's right now and the toes are kind of tight and they're 13 years old (I didn't wear them for a while and started wearing them again last year). I think I might need a new pair of skates as mine are wearing out but I'm not sure what brand to get.

There were black vertical lines inside my boots where the boots were wearing on my legs and basically cutting into my leg bone and causing pain. Mind you, these were customs, so I should not have been having these types of problems. Also, the toe box was creating bunion type bumps. And after skating I would get horrid cramps in my toes and through my arches.

There is a huge difference in my skating now, and I can actually get ankle flex with this.

Thin-Ice

Spectator
There are a lot of reasons you can be having problems with your boots. It isn't ALWAYS the manufacturer. It can be how the boots were fit: have you put on/lost weight? were your feet cramped the day the fitting was done? what kind of socks/tights/(if any) were you wearing when the measurements were taken? did you just do a drawing of your foot? did you let the plaster cast set up completely? had you just been skating or were you wearing some other kind of shoe prior to the fitting? And remember whatever at any manufacturer tells you about another bootmaker... they ARE competitors! So they do have a conflict of interest. :biggrin:

As for Tim Goebel and his "boot problems" -- George Spiteri made more than a dozen trips to wherever Tim was to fix whatever problems Tim was having with his boots.. and publicly Tim just kept saying he was having boot problems.. turned out he was having BODY problems... he had an injury (don't remember if it was leg or back) that made him favor one side, which changed his posture, which changed how he landed jumps, which he then blamed on the boots. George made SEVERAL new pairs of boots for Tim during that time.. and all Tim did was complain about his boots. When Tim changed coaches, the first thing he had to do was get a complete check-up.. and VOILA.. a physical therapist discovered the problem with his back/leg/body.. and started working on that.. and now his boots are just fine... along with his body.

Remember, Michelle Kwan has done rather well in her SP-Teris. The only year she had serious problems was the year she was in Reidell boots because of an endorsement deal. She's been back in SP-Teris and has won how many National titles? How many World titles? How many Olympic medals?

I admit I may be biased. I've worn only SP-Teri boots since my second pair (my first pair were Reidells) and I've only had one problem in 15 years. The tongue of one boot started slipping to the outside.. so I had a hook installed on the tongue and now my boots are fine again.

When buying new skates explain any problems you've had in the past. If you have a problem after you buy boots, take them back and explain thoroughly what the problem is.Different boots fit differently... even custom boots may not fit immediately... since they are usually built on the last of the company's stock skates. Some stock skates are built for narrow feet, some for wide feet, some for wide balls and narrow heels. .find what fits YOU best!

I'm pretty sure ALL the bootmakers are trying to do what's best for their customers... they all want us to keep coming back to them.. so they ARE trying to keep the skaters happy.

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I started having boot problems when I lost weight (over 30 pounds). This has allowed my foot to slosh around inside and has created all kinds of bumps on my foot. The boots became loose in the heel and too big everywhere. I've had to put an extra insole in and lace them extra tight (which has also compressed the nerve on the front of my left ankle and created numbness:sheesh: ), and put in a 'stick-on' heel gripper (the kind made for dress shoes.

I have thought about getting new skates, but haven't spent too much time about it since I'm pretty new and don't have any single jumps yet (only waltz, toe loop and toe wally) and am just getting my spins. My rink will also be closing the middle of April for the summer.

As for what kind I will get when we start up in September, I am not sure.......Open to suggestions, though.

My current boot is Jackson Elite, 8 1/2 D (I have a big wide foot for a lady, this has not changed too much) with Mirage blades.

Terry--sloshing along....

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Skate@Delaware said:
I started having boot problems when I lost weight (over 30 pounds). This has allowed my foot to slosh around inside and has created all kinds of bumps on my foot. The boots became loose in the heel and too big everywhere. I've had to put an extra insole in and lace them extra tight (which has also compressed the nerve on the front of my left ankle and created numbness:sheesh: ), and put in a 'stick-on' heel gripper (the kind made for dress shoes. .
Sheesh - I've lost over 40 lbs, and there's not a lot wrong with my boots that a thermal insole hasn't cured. I will get some more soon, as I'm pretty sure mine are broken down inside, but they're still comfortable. Although I do wish I hadn't had them punched out when I was at my very fattest, 18 months ago!

Perry

Rinkside
Even if you get the Klingbeil's and don't like them (which probably won't happen, as I've yet to meet anyone who tried them and didn't love them), their customer service is so insanely good, they'll probably offer you a complete refund. I know someone who got a complete refund because she was on growth hormone and had outgrown them by the time they got there...

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
Mrs Redboots said:
Sheesh - I've lost over 40 lbs, and there's not a lot wrong with my boots that a thermal insole hasn't cured. I will get some more soon, as I'm pretty sure mine are broken down inside, but they're still comfortable. Although I do wish I hadn't had them punched out when I was at my very fattest, 18 months ago!

I think I will try a thermal insole-they seem to be a bit thicker. I took a dance class and we had to do all these releve's, so I now have an awesome arch on my foot, and the instructor said my foot muscles are 'toned' which makes them smaller. I didn't realize my feet had been fat.....
Plus my toes get really cold now.
Any particular brand/style you use? Just thermal or a hunting thermal insole?

jp1andonly

Rinkside
When I lost weight my shoe size went from a nine to a 7 or 6.5. I bought brand new grafs when I thought my feet had stopped shrinking but alas they shrunk more. My grafs went from a 7.5 down to a 4.5. It was an expensive thing to face for losing weight..hehe

Skate@Delaware said:
I think I will try a thermal insole-they seem to be a bit thicker. I took a dance class and we had to do all these releve's, so I now have an awesome arch on my foot, and the instructor said my foot muscles are 'toned' which makes them smaller. I didn't realize my feet had been fat.....
Plus my toes get really cold now.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
Skate@Delaware said:
There was a little tub of them at the cash desk in a local discount shoe-shop, so I just got that!

I know what you mean about losing weight being expensive - I'm going to have to get new skates soon, and as for clothes.... I've only coats and jerseys left from last year, and I'm swimming in them!

Petlover

On the Ice
Losing weight may be expensive in skates and clothes, but it is an enormous accomplishment and I want to congratulate all of you who have successfully lost weight!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Thin-Ice said:
There are a lot of reasons you can be having problems with your boots. It isn't ALWAYS the manufacturer. It can be how the boots were fit: have you put on/lost weight? were your feet cramped the day the fitting was done? what kind of socks/tights/(if any) were you wearing when the measurements were taken? did you just do a drawing of your foot? did you let the plaster cast set up completely? had you just been skating or were you wearing some other kind of shoe prior to the fitting? And remember whatever at any manufacturer tells you about another bootmaker... they ARE competitors! So they do have a conflict of interest. :biggrin:

As for Tim Goebel and his "boot problems" -- George Spiteri made more than a dozen trips to wherever Tim was to fix whatever problems Tim was having with his boots.. and publicly Tim just kept saying he was having boot problems.. turned out he was having BODY problems... he had an injury (don't remember if it was leg or back) that made him favor one side, which changed his posture, which changed how he landed jumps, which he then blamed on the boots. George made SEVERAL new pairs of boots for Tim during that time.. and all Tim did was complain about his boots. When Tim changed coaches, the first thing he had to do was get a complete check-up.. and VOILA.. a physical therapist discovered the problem with his back/leg/body.. and started working on that.. and now his boots are just fine... along with his body.

Remember, Michelle Kwan has done rather well in her SP-Teris. The only year she had serious problems was the year she was in Reidell boots because of an endorsement deal. She's been back in SP-Teris and has won how many National titles? How many World titles? How many Olympic medals?

I admit I may be biased. I've worn only SP-Teri boots since my second pair (my first pair were Reidells) and I've only had one problem in 15 years. The tongue of one boot started slipping to the outside.. so I had a hook installed on the tongue and now my boots are fine again.

When buying new skates explain any problems you've had in the past. If you have a problem after you buy boots, take them back and explain thoroughly what the problem is.Different boots fit differently... even custom boots may not fit immediately... since they are usually built on the last of the company's stock skates. Some stock skates are built for narrow feet, some for wide feet, some for wide balls and narrow heels. .find what fits YOU best!

I'm pretty sure ALL the bootmakers are trying to do what's best for their customers... they all want us to keep coming back to them.. so they ARE trying to keep the skaters happy.

I appreciate what you are saying...in my case it was the manufacturer, not the skater. Different bodies, different boots. I have skated in Reidells, SPTeri's and Klings so my research has tested both in question. Klings are hands down the best boot for me. And just for the record and the sake of some good 'ole skating debates, I much prefer Sasha's skating to Michelle's so I don't place Michelle's success on her boots...although I get your rmeaning. Sasha, BTW is in Klings. :biggrin:

Thin-Ice

Spectator
Glacierskater.. I SOOOOO agree with you. We all need to check out ALL the options we can and pick what is best for each of us, individually. I think it's good to get ideas and information from other skaters on things like boots or how to do elements or costumes.. but NOTHING substitutes for our personal experiences... since all our feet/abilities/boots/preferences are different! And thank goodness for that, otherwise skating would be pretty boring.

Personally, I appreciate both Michelle and Sasha's skating... and think in both cases, their styles of skating also have to do with how hard they both work and what they each emphasize! More individual differences that make skating so fascinating to watch and do!

Happy skating!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
<snippit>
Personally, I appreciate both Michelle and Sasha's skating... and think in both cases, their styles of skating also have to do with how hard they both work and what they each emphasize! More individual differences that make skating so fascinating to watch and do!

You know, that is a very good point. I would be bored if every skater skated like Sasha and every skater skated like Michelle. Variety is a good thing!

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
It has amazed me over the years how skating has changed and evolved.

If you look at tapes of competitions from 30+ years ago, or even further back, and then look at the skaters today-it is just so awesome how athletic the sport has become. Of course, there are still some skaters that will never be topped for their special skating styles (remember Mr. Frick anyone?)...

Terry

PS-I am getting new skates for my smaller feet...But I am sticking to the same kind I had before since I am still a beginner...:)