Pairs match up... | Golden Skate

Pairs match up...

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I intended yesterday to do a Base score comparison between S&Z's last skate so far this season, and T&M's from European's. LOL, I printed the score sheets yesterday but just didn't get around to it. Mean time, a poster (Melba) on FSU did the work. Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=436250#post436250

Bottom line is that the SP base scores are very close, and the LP base scores are EXACTLY the same. I'm sure both teams are busy tweaking like everyone else, but this will be an exciting showdown especially if both teams skate well.

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
Very interesting indeed!
I think both pairs are definitely going to be working on how to get an edge on their elements. I know Zhao said that they need to improve their lifts, like to get them to a higher level, and I agree that the spins are not their strongest suit. I think the changed a spiral step sequence at the GPF compared of what they were doing at the beginning of the season. This is going to be one of the most interesting competitions at worlds!!!

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Hikaru..

And for me anyway, this particular match up is REALLY exciting because I really didn't care for T&M over the last couple years. I think their programs really didn't suit their style IMO, and I just went "bleh, bring on S&Z!" I love their Ave Maria SP, and also just saw their LP on Red Dog's site yesterday. WOW! I have definitely changed my tune in terms of my own enjoyment watching them.

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
yeah, I know what you mean. Actually I didn't like the programs T/M had in 2003, but I loved their choice of music in 2004 for both the SP and FS. I have only seen the Ave Maria, and of course one part of the FS at skate america, so I'm really looking forward to see them, because they move so well on the ice. However I cannot deny I have a soft spot for S/Z, I just love how they skate, it gives me goosebumps and... well, I don't know how to describe it, but they are amazing. These are the pairs that make you go like "I really want to see that competition!".

emma

Record Breaker
question

So I read this thread awhile ago, was very interested in and hopeful for two great and hard to judge performances (well four if you consider two SP's and two LP's), and am now desparate for news on Shen and Zhao, specifically the latter since he/they withdrew from 4C's. Anyone have any updates?

Hikaru

Final Flight
emma said:
So I read this thread awhile ago, was very interested in and hopeful for two great and hard to judge performances (well four if you consider two SP's and two LP's), and am now desparate for news on Shen and Zhao, specifically the latter since he/they withdrew from 4C's. Anyone have any updates?

AT the timne of 4CC aHongbo got his foot injured, and that's why they withdrew from that competition. On the news, they only mention that, not what kind fo injury he got. Nothing else has been reported in the news, so I imagine the injury wasn't too serious to take them out of performing at worlds, so maybe as they say "no news is good news". Whatever it was I hope he recovers well!

Thanks for the link, Doggygirl - From what I see, both teams are equal in the technical. I believe the winner will be selected by the ROAR OF THE CROWD

Joe

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
I think you're right Joe...

So are we predicting Russian victory? That's what I think!

T&M
S&Z
P&T unless they bomb. (Pet & Tik)

DG

Linny

Final Flight
P&T and P&T

Don't like Pang and Tong's programs this season... I'll root for Petrova and Tekenov.
Linny

Hikaru

Final Flight
Doggygirl said:

T&M
S&Z
P&T unless they bomb. (Pet & Tik)

DG
I don't know, I'm going for Shen/Zhao for the gold! as for the bronze medal, I like Pang/Tong's program, but their season hasn't been so on as teh other chinese pairs. I love the Zhangs but the music they are using for the FS I don't like, but they have been having better results this season. Petrova/Tihkonov have teh same FS as last year, so they must feel comfortable with it. Obertas/Slavnov have to work on those lifts, poor Julia is having the scares of her life! One would think of course that this year we might see more russian pairs in the podium because the championships are in russia, but I won't count out the chineses, especially Shen/Zhao, no matter where they skate, but that's just my opinion :)

A little OT here, but speaking of the Zhangs and Obertas/Slavnov and the quad twist, do you think the Zhangs will revive it? have they ever done it in the senior level? and for those who saw them doing at the junior level, was it good?

Doggygirl said:

T&M
S&Z
P&T unless they bomb. (Pet & Tik)DG

You got it. I predict a Russian sweep in all disciplines,. but Pairs does give a little more thought than the others.

Joe

hongligl

Final Flight
emma said:

According to their website, Zhao had torn his left ankle during the practice, it was really bad (very painful) at the time. He went back to Beijing and had some injections and needed daily treatment afterwards. He returned to the ice yesterday for some training. However he said they will be in Moscow no matter if he is recovered or not.

I'm not going to predict the results as I don't want to ruin it. I did last time, so I just shut myself up this time. :love:

mzheng

Record Breaker
hongligl said:
I'm not going to predict the results as I don't want to ruin it. I did last time, so I just shut myself up this time. :love:
I'm with you here.

I read from china-ice a few days ago that BinYao changed their LP to add more difficult and transitions, and before his injury Zhao already said the trainning time was very tight with all new added ins. If he was back to ice only yesterday, I'm not sure how they have enough time.

emma

Record Breaker
Well, this news makes me sad. While they won a great victory in 2003 with Shen's injury, not having the practice time before the event strikes me as a BIG problem, especially if they wanted to up the ante (technically and presentation wise) with new transitions...urgh. I like this program a lot...but did think it was somehow just a little, hmmm, flat? I do hope they skate well and don't sustain any more injury, but now I'm going to stop fantasizing and just wait for Worlds. It would be great too if T/M have a fabulous skate (especially given the year they have had), I do like them alot, and I have a tendancy to root for the home team (in just about any sport, I'm wierd that way); it's just that I've been a die hard S/Z fan for years and years now (they impressed me in 98, and 99 worlds was wow imho), and feel that the momentum now is key for next year....anyway, if anyone hears more news...do TELL please!

brad640

On the Ice
I would not be surprised if Zhao's "injury" was just a way to get the Chinese federation to let them skip 4CC. I wish they had withdrawn sooner so Ding and Ren could have competed.

mzheng

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
I would not be surprised if Zhao's "injury" was just a way to get the Chinese federation to let them skip 4CC. I wish they had withdrawn sooner so Ding and Ren could have competed.
Then how come it was reported that they just get back to ice the day before yesterday? The same report I read at china-ice said that they were planning to skate the enhanced version of LP at 4CC to see how it get judged under the CoP, since that was the last one before the worlds.

hongligl

Final Flight
mzheng said:
Then how come it was reported that they just get back to ice the day before yesterday? The same report I read at china-ice said that they were planning to skate the enhanced version of LP at 4CC to see how it get judged under the CoP, since that was the last one before the worlds.

I read that too. So it was not a false alarm, he did have himself injured. When the journalist interviewed him he still got ice bag on his foot. He does not want other competitors to know about it, so I won't comment any more on if it was serious or not.

Hikaru

Final Flight
hongligl said:
Latest news: Hongbo Zhao is fully recovered from his injury! :clap: :clap: :clap: :love: :love: :love:

YAY :clap: :clap: :clap: Good for Hongbo! I wish Shen/Zhao good luck at Moscow! They are great :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: