New Plushenko Interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New Plushenko Interview

Yeah, I think Ali deserves credit for starting all that. He was a man of his times. The 1960s, up the establishment, in your face -- the good old days.

Vash01

Medalist
brad640 said:
Thanks Ptichka and Vitacus for posting/translating this great article. This illustrates that Plushenko is the strongest skater competing right now because he is great at sizing up his competition.

Yes - Plushenko is smart to recognize that Lambiel, not Joubert, is his biggest competition. Plushenko is great, but his spins are not especially compared to Lambiel. Hopefully when Plushenko retires from competition he will become a judge!!

The days of Plushenko/Yagudin competitions were the best. At one point Plushenko was attempting a 4t/3t/3r and a 4t sequence into a 3s and a 3a/3f. Sadly, those days are gone and his programs are watered down because no one is pushing him right now.

I am afraid those watered down programs are because of his injuries. At one point he was working on a quad lutz. Now he is not even consistent with the quad toe!

I love this interview though. I like his honesty.

Vash

As much as I prefer Lambiel to Plushenko, I do believe that Plush is a better competitor. I don't think Lambiel has yet learned how to be a competitor.
I do appreciate Evgeni's comments.

For me, there is no other contest in today's Mens Figure Skating than Plushenko, Lambiel, and Klimkin. Unfortunately, we don't have Klimkin this year.

Among the others, I would have to see more of Buttle and Weir to come to any real conclusion for my way of thinking. They both need more than quads. What can I say about Sandhu?

I am thinking that Joubert is still as wooden as ever but if he comes to life then maybe he will be in my camp. The quads are competititve. Lindemann is a jumpin jack with a boyish style. He's ok, but not what I like in figure skating.

I'll be looking at Worlds for some others who may prove interesting: Min of China with great flow over the ice, Honda for a comeback, Li who is progressing quite well, Tim if he has more than one quad, VdP, Lysacek, and Griazev but not with all that much interest for the podium.

I, basically go along with Evgeni's views in his interview. He's a shoo in unless he melts and Lamiel skates clean.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
One comment to those gushing over Russian interviews. Can you imagine an American interviewer asking so many questions about the athlete's earnings? We would consider it rude, and rightly so. In Russia they still value privacy far less than we do.

gracefulswan

On the Ice
oh, about the double standard on female skaters being just as forthcoming.. i think it has something to do with the fact that male FS are a lot more competitive than the females..LOL.. and studies show that males are much more aggressive and blunt when speaking about their competition. i think this is why we have a "lopsidedness" concerning the comments male/female skaters make. however, i find that sasha is a bit more forthcoming than most other female skaters... and that's fine..cause that just means she's a bit more competitive..nothing wrong with that. i don't listen to the "double standard" backlash going on sometimes. if the skater can back up his/her words, then more power to them.. :agree:

Ptichka said:
One comment to those gushing over Russian interviews. Can you imagine an American interviewer asking so many questions about the athlete's earnings? We would consider it rude, and rightly so. In Russia they still value privacy far less than we do.
Rude, may be. But inquiring minds still want to know, LOL. I would love to know more about the financial structure of the sport. How much does Marshalls pay Michelle Kwan in appearance money. How much does Sasha make selling Citizen's watches? The article mentions that Plushenko earnes only a fraction of what a popular footballer makes. Is Michelle Kwan ("a unique case," in Plushenko's words) in the top ten of female athletes in the U.S.? How much does Jenny Kirk get for modeling Caprizio clothes?

Oh well, I guess my curiosity will go unquenched.

About the difference in tone between Irina's interviews in Russian and in English, I think that's natural. When she is interviewed by the American press she is a guest in someone else's house. Back home she can kick back and be herself.

Mathman

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks so much for the translation of this extremely interesting Plushenko interview!!! Could not agree more with his words about Lambiel and the judges. As I was watching Europeans live from Eurosport Lambiel did skate after Joubert, and the huge difference in their skating, expressiveness and musical interpretation was very clearly to be seen.