Irina's interview .... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Irina's interview ....

soogar said:
As for the two face comments: I notice that in all of these Russian interviews the athletes tend to slam America (ie Yagudin saying how he will never train in the US) yet it seems that they are quite happy touring in the US. I wonder if it's just the thing to do in interviews.
I'm sure it is. Tell 'em what they want to hear, especially Piseev.

Crizzy said:
Question: Is Sokolova the "Best Friend" Irina mentioned in one of her interviews? I can't recall.
In a recent on-line question and answer session Irina said she is friends with Michelle Kwan, good friends and shop-till-you-drop buddies with Elena Sokolova, but that her best friend on the COI tour is Irina Grigorian (hula hoop girl).

MM

apache88

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:
I too have friends and even FAMILY that I love dearly, but would never want to share a hotel room with.

I also interpreted Irina's comments along the lines of God making things right just to be reflective of the notion that sometimes things in life don't seem fair at the moment, but things have a way of working out in the end. Another poster said this more eloquently than I am.

I admire Irina's success as an athlete, and I applaud her for fighting back from an illness. I say give the woman a break.

DG

You express my sentiment exactly. I too say give Irina a break. I don't see anything bad about her from the article and I do believe the translation can cause misinterpretation.

I have grown to respect her a lot because of her comeback-to-victory-from-adversity story. That's what a great champion is made of. That said, I still don't enjoy her skating, just not my type.

lavender

Record Breaker
So you say she's two faced, but then believe her when she says that Michelle is not? If you're going to discredit her, then don't use her word to back one of your beliefs

Oh please. I don't know what to exactly believe of Irina. Really it's not a big deal but just a discussion. I'm just mentioning what she said. :rolleye: If I wanted to believe or not and use her words then I can.

Last edited:

Petlover

On the Ice
Irina, like all other skaters, is strong, determined, and HUMAN. She has feelings and emotions, and whether you agree with her or not, she has the right to her beliefs and opinions. I, personally, believe that Sarah Hughes rightfully won the free skate and OGM in 2002 and that Irina barely beat Michelle - but that is only my opinion. I very much respect Irina's right to disagree. Without her strength and passion, she would not only not be the marvelous skater she is today, but might not have survived her illnesses. I respect her for that.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina is still very much fixated on past losses that she construes as herself being 'robbed', mostly the SLC Olympics and Worlds 2001. She has mentioned both of these competitions over and over again in interviews.

In effect, what she was saying was, 'OK, I won this and I was not so good, but there were other times I was the best and I didn't win, so it all evens out in the end'.

I think if by some chance Irina doesn't win Worlds in Moscow, she will believe she was robbed once again. Irina has never had an objective view of her own performances. She really believes she is the best in the world and is always deserving of a gold medal.

Linny

Final Flight
The Skating Gods

There really are Skating Gods. All the skaters can do their programs, over and over again, flawlessly. On the day of the competition, some have big flaws, some minor. Why? The whims of the skating gods.

So, perhaps Irina was thinking "on this day, the skating gods were with me, on this other day, they were not".

Linny

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Yagudin said he'll never leave Russia many years ago. Imagine being called on anything you've said when you were 18 for the rest of your life!

As to being happy to tour here but not to live - that's natural as well. I am always happy going to Mexico, I appreciate the people and he culture there, but I would not want to raise a family there. No contradiction there.

Finally, one more thought about the supposed duplicity. An American skater who could talk about the Russian federation buying up all the judges may not mention it to a Russian interviewer. It's not duplicity, it's good manners. Once again, no problem there. So, when male skaters from Yagudin to Kostomarov state that they would absolutely not date Americans, it's perfectly normal that they would not say that to American media.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
People in the public eye can't win for losing...

When people in the public eye are interviewed and blurt out what they REALLY think, they tend to be criticized for being unsportsmanlike, or unladylike, or spoiled brats, or whatever.

When they give politically correct answers, they are either praised as Great Sports and Role Models by their fans, or criticized as liars by their detractors. (those are the two extremes in reaction, of course.)

If I were an elite athlete, I'm not sure I'd ever want to grant an interview. That process can be more slippery than the ice it seems.

DG

Jimena

Rinkside
lavender said:
Oh please. I don't know what to exactly believe of Irina. Really it's not a big but just a discussion. I'm just mentioning what she said. :rolleye: If I wanted to believe or not and use her words then I can.

Of course you can. I was just pointing out what seemed like a contradiction to me. :)

chuckm said:
I think if by some chance Irina doesn't win Worlds in Moscow, she will believe she was robbed once again. Irina has never had an objective view of her own performances.

She might, she might not. We really don't know.

chuckm said:
I think if by some chance Irina doesn't win Worlds in Moscow, she will believe she was robbed once again. Irina has never had an objective view of her own performances. She really believes she is the best in the world and is always deserving of a gold medal.
Irina is the undisputed contestant in the Ladies Division to win the gold medal at the Moscow Worlds (just as she was in SLC). She has placed first place in three GP events and just won the Euros. No other skater can claim that this season. I can believe she will be disappointed if she does not win the Moscow event but I don't think she will be disappointed.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Irina is the undisputed contestant in the Ladies Division to win the gold medal at the Moscow Worlds (just as she was in SLC). She has placed first place in three GP events and just won the Euros. No other skater can claim that this season. I can believe she will be disappointed if she does not win the Moscow event but I don't think she will be disappointed.

Joe

I guess on the virtue of what she has WON this year, Irina is a favorite. However her performances have been steadily declining throughout the GP and the European performance was a disaster. Quite frankly, she'll be lucky to get a bronze at Worlds (if a medal at all). Everyone is going to step up their game at worlds and I think that Irina is depleted. I'm predicting Miki or Shizuka for the win with Sasha or Michelle behind.

Johar

Medalist
Doggygirl said:
When people in the public eye are interviewed and blurt out what they REALLY think, they tend to be criticized for being unsportsmanlike, or unladylike, or spoiled brats, or whatever.

When they give politically correct answers, they are either praised as Great Sports and Role Models by their fans, or criticized as liars by their detractors. (those are the two extremes in reaction, of course.)

If I were an elite athlete, I'm not sure I'd ever want to grant an interview. That process can be more slippery than the ice it seems.

DG

Exactly. They're often in a darn if you do, darn if you don't situation.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Johar said:
Exactly. They're often in a darn if you do, darn if you don't situation.

Well, I think the issue here is Irina saying one thing to the North American Press, and the total opposite to the Russian Press. But, like someone pointed out it might very well be the questions that are asked. It could also be cultural...maybe she's more comfortable saying what she thinks over in Russia but knows that if she does the same here she'll turn off many people...I don't know...

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Real Answers vs. Spin

Hey there! This is my first post, although I lurk a lot... But as an American pr professional, I'd like to add this thought...

In America, a figure skater who gives a straighforward answer would be considered a spoiled diva, particularly if they honestly felt that a medal should've been theirs but was denied for whatever reason... Americans don't want truth, we want humble & polite. We don't want a skater's honest opinion of their placement, we want to be comfortable... If you don't believe me, think about Michelle Kwan & her consistant messages to the media "I need to train harder and skate my best" "I can only do my best & see what the judges decide." Its only when she's totally p***ed, does she stray from those messages ala Worlds 04 after the short. But I'm sure she's felt cheated at some point.

Another example is Sasha Cohen... Her bad girl rep came from her not knowing how to package her message "I'll only be happy when I'm #1" Unfortuantly for her, she hasn't been able to deliver...her new message is "I had fun & wore a pretty dress" too bad its too little too late, her rep is cemented if you read posts from this site & others...

The Russian media is different. Their skaters are allowed to be open & honest. Irinia has lost competitions & placed 4th when she probably shouldn't have... And her statements have more to do with her thoughts on karma than flat out arrogance or being "two-faced."

When you've been around as long as Michelle & Irina, you learn to play the game. These are tough competitors who hit the ice everyday in search of gold. Its not about the performance (that's what exibitions & COI are for) or even the fans, its about winning. Period. Its naive to think otherwise.

Until female athletes are given the same consideration and respect that male athletes receive (Tom Brady, MJ, and others too numerous to name who boast because they are the best...) we will continue to see interviews in the American press that make it appear all sweetness & light. Even when its not.

Kwanford Wife

"just ignore the man behind the curtain" the wizard of oz

Kuchana

On the Ice
Doggygirl said:

DG

Well actually I'd have to disagree to a certain extent. I think a person in the public eye has the responsibility to have some respect and attitude towards others (not saying that Irina doesn't) but it'd be ideal to have a balance between speaking your mind (without being catty or disrespectful) and giving politically correct answers. The struggle of course is getting to that point and I'm not saying it's a piece of cake in the process.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
soogar said:
I guess on the virtue of what she has WON this year, Irina is a favorite. However her performances have been steadily declining throughout the GP and the European performance was a disaster. Quite frankly, she'll be lucky to get a bronze at Worlds (if a medal at all). Everyone is going to step up their game at worlds and I think that Irina is depleted. I'm predicting Miki or Shizuka for the win with Sasha or Michelle behind.

Irina has a chronic disease, vasculitis, for which she takes the powerful drug prednisone. This drug relieves the symptoms of her disease, but at the same time has unpleasant side effects such as bloating, weight gain and fatigue, and when taken on a long term basis, affects the body's ability to fight off infection, and can actually cause osteoporosis (brittle bones).

This past fall, her doctors were gradually reducing the dosage of her medication, and that helped to improve her skating dramatically (over what it had been at 2004 Worlds) at the GP events and the Marshall's competition. But her GPF performance wasn't quite as good as the earlier three. At the end of December, Irina told her doctors that she wasn't feeling well, and they immediately restored the higher doses of the medication. As a result, Irina's skating began to deteriorate. She could still do a good SP, but she had stamina problems in her long program at Russian Nationals and Europeans.

So Irina's prospects for Worlds are really very dependent on her health.

I don't think Shizuka is the same skater she was last year. She seems to have lost focus, and may be burnt out. She's been skating in Japan this year and being coached over the phone by Tarasova, while retaining a Japanese coach at home. So I'm not sure she has either the drive or the heart to push herself to the top of the podium this year. Ando is a pleasant skater, but she needs to improve her non-jump elements, and she doesn't get respect from the judges in the PCS marks, and that is enough to keep her off the top of the podium.

I think all three skaters have the potential to make the podium, but I don't see any of those three as more likely to win than Kwan or Cohen.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Well I can see why you wouldn't want to share a room with a friend/family member, but do you really have to go out and name names? If she just said, look the trip has been difficult, we did not have a chance to rest before the practice, I am sure it would've been enough. I doubt she would be pressed for more specifics.

Somebody sited the friendship Irina has with Michelle. I don't think you could compare a friendship you have with somebody you see at the competitions a couple of times a year and then during the touring.she and Sokolova go way back, they are from the same city. And Sokolova sited Irina's support and friendship when she was left off the team. My point is, I feel it wasn't very friendly-like to mention Sokolova's name in this incident, even if I completely understand where Irina is coming from.

Irina is my favorite female skater, and has been for many years..I am not trying to bash her. I respect her for her drive, dedication and talent. No matter what she says, I enjoy watching her skate and only wish her the best. I also agree with her about certain occasions that she was unfairly placed on the podium, or left off altogether. I only hear about it Russian media.

I understand why she appears SO SUPER NICE to North American Media. Heck, most skaters do. However, having read some of the interviews she had given in Russian (and this is my native language, so "lost in translation" is not something I have to be concerned with), I believe she is not so "SO SUPER NICE" (and it's perfectly ok with me. I am an adult and I don't look up to her as my "role model"). I do no think she is arrogant. But I do think she is two faced, b/c she has given completely different answers depending which language she was speaking.

Marya Butyrskaya was one of those rare people that were sending the same message to all media outlets..I guess why she was not as popular as Irina. Plushenko doesn't contradict himself either.

That's just how I see it...

Yana

Welcome to Golden Skate, KWANFORD WIFE!

You've laid out all your thoughts which is very generous of you. I don't agree with all your points but I do respect them. I'm just wondering if you have any views on the situation of the Men in figure skating.

Joe

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Great post, Kwanford Wife. I think you are absolutely right in saying that Americans wants their female athletes to be "good girls" who are humble, respectful, and well-behaved. We want our female atheletes to be sucessful, yet on the other hand, they must never appear overly ambitious, arrogant, or boastful. And of course, they must never complain, lest they be consider whiners. (Americans hate whiners in any area of life, I think.)

If anyone doubts the harsh standards that female athletes are held to in this country, then take a few minutes to reflect on how the American public turned against Nancy Kerrigan after she made just a few catty comments about Mickey Mouse and Oksana Baiul crying.

Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, and Kristi Yamaguchi have always projected exactly the desired image of an American female athlete, and that has certainly been no small factor in their popularity, I think. Tara Lipinski, on the other hand, was never able to really disguise her less "ladylike" qualities--mainly, her incredible ambition, her ferocious competitiveness, and her rather frank desire to cash in on her success. As a result, when the American public had the choice of adopting her or Michelle as their current skating princess in 1998, it was no contest. Michelle won the hearts of the public not just on the basis of her skating, but also because of her personality and image.

I think Americans have especially high behavioral expectations of female skaters, yet the trend applies to female athletes in other sports as well. For example, look at the Williams sisters in tennis. Their success, especially Serena's, is absolutely phenomenal. Serena is certainly one of the best female tennis players of all time. Yet she is not, as far as I can tell, beloved by the American public. There is certainly interest in her, yet I don't get the sense that people love and admire her in the same way that they do Michelle Kwan. Why? There are no doubt many factors, but I think part of the issue is that Serena, again, does not really project the desired image. She is quite openly boastful about her achievements; she is quite honest in saying that basically, she feels she's the best out there. While her attitude may be justified, it is still not what the public wants to hear. And as a result, she is appreciated but not loved.

And when I say "the public", I have to freely admit that I am part of them. Although I recognize that female athletes are held to an unrealistic and probably unfair standard in terms of their public behavior and comments, nonetheless I find it difficult to get past these cultural expectations myself in terms of which female athletes I admire and appreciate.

Four insightful and well-written essays on my favorite subject. That's why I come to Golden Skate the first thing every morning. Thanks, Eyria, Chuckm, Yana and Kwanford Wife!:agree:

Mathman