Thread: Pompeii: The Last Day

A. Y. & E. P.: Tzars Of The Ice, Lords Of The Rink anya_angie's Avatar

Pompeii: The Last Day

Did anyone see this? What did you think?

I did not see it but I heard it was good. I think Pompeii is fascinating.

when are they going to show it again? I went out to dinner that night and missed it :(

Custom Title
    I saw it and was transfixed by the tv for the duration. I had always been somewhat fascinated with the story of what had happened to that beautiful city, but never knew it's complete story.

All the while I was watching, the tsunami kept creeping into my mind and the fact that the power of mother nature makes the human element seem rather insignificant.

Custom Title
    I liked it, but be warned: They say it's a 2 hour show, but it's really a one hour show with an hour of commercials. Almost, but not quite worse than skating competitions. But fascinating nevertheless.

#1 Boricua Baby
    I am not sure if I saw this particular one. I've seen many many many documentaries about Pompeii - which channel was it? I still remember seeing this 1980's movie called Last Days of Pompeii. I remember her screaming "Lydon!!!" lmao.. I was like 12 when this movie came on I still remember to this day - it was cheesy but it was interesting seeing how they showed what Pompeii could have been like and the last days of it when the Volcano exploded awake.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenette
    I am not sure if I saw this particular one. I've seen many many many documentaries about Pompeii - which channel was it? I still remember seeing this 1980's movie called Last Days of Pompeii. I remember her screaming "Lydon!!!" lmao.. I was like 12 when this movie came on I still remember to this day - it was cheesy but it was interesting seeing how they showed what Pompeii could have been like and the last days of it when the Volcano exploded awake.
    I remember this old mini-series, too. The part that stands out in my mind is that a Roman couple is having a romantic picnic on the side of Vesuvius when a pre-eruption earthquake happens and rocks start falling toward them. This came out just a few years after Mount St. Helens erupted so there was a lot of public interest in Pompeii.

Here is the most famous Russian painting on the subject.

Custom Title

Thanks for the link, Ptichka

Unfortunately the link does not the the proper justice to this magnificent painting. It is huge..you have to see it live! If I recall correctly, it took Brulove many years to finish this painting and he has used some of his friends as models (himself included).

Yana

The painting must be amazing in reality. The color and lighting seem so vivid on screen.

Sal-Kowabunga!
    One thing about this show -- have you ever seen such gorgeous vulcanologists? One "older" lady and another a bit younger. The younger one reminded me of Law and Order SVU's Mariska Hargitay.

The "story" was okay, but I really liked the science segments. Even when the hostess was buried in sand by some munchkins. Guess I am getting blase about special effects because the pyroclastic surge didn't scare the bejesus out of me like it would have a few years ago. Maybe it's because of all the tsunami programs over the past month.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_Blues_fan
    If I recall correctly, it took Brulove many years to finish this painting and he has used some of his friends as models (himself included).
    Correct! The woman he loved is in the left bottom corner kneeling with her two daughters. Except both daughters are also modeled after her! If you click "next" on the page, you'll see a full painting of her.

He himself is on the right toward the back with a smile in his eyes and a box of paints and prushes on this head (almost in a tradition of Velaskez).
    Last edited by Ptichka; 02-07-2005 at 04:56 PM.