Worlds and ESPN | Golden Skate

Worlds and ESPN

I just had a look at Heather's schedule and Worlds are listed on:

March 17: Men's Qualis; Short and Long; Pairs Short)

March 18: Ladies Qualis; Original Dance, Pairs Long)

March 19: Ladies Short and Long; Free Dance)

It's interesting that we will be getting the Qualifying Rounds (or some part of it). That's new for TV. I believe the seeding of the groups will be from the results of the last Worlds. Am I correct? I suppose newcomers will just draw for grouping.

Sad this wasn't shown last year. Sasha Cohen had such an incredible quali round. Even her most vociferous detractors would have applauded that skate.

Joe

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
It's interesting to know that a week after the competitions and exhibitions that ESPN is having a Worlds (All Access Show)........I wonder what they will be like....

Hikaru

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
It's interesting that we will be getting the Qualifying Rounds (or some part of it).

we're getting the Qualifying Rounds???? sounds too good to be true!! Well, at least I'll hope to get to see them, since my ESPN could very well chop the whole thing (with my luck :sheesh: ), but it is very interesting if they'll broadcast it.

A little OT, I was wondering for Qualis, the score they get there will it be counted for the lump sum of the short and free skate?

Jhar55

Medalist
That's surprising and would be great if they really show it. What with worlds being about the same time as college basketball tournaments. Should we send thank you emails to espn :rofl: :rofl:

Jhar55 said:
That's surprising and would be great if they really show it. What with worlds being about the same time as college basketball tournaments. Should we send thank you emails to espn :rofl: :rofl:
Don't laugh. It may do some good to butter them up and ask them if we can have the unedited versions of the competitions between 1 and 5 am so as not to interfere with their regular schedules.

Joe

brad640

On the Ice
I would love to see the qualifying rounds, but if I had a choice I would rather see more of the skaters' SP and LP. It seems like this schedule will show 3 performances by the top 3-5 skaters, but anyone below that will be left out completely.

Matt

On the Ice
Getting to see the QRs will be nice; its something I know FS fans have been wanting for a while. It may also be nice b/c we may get to see some skaters that coverage of the SPs and FPs don't show (though I don't hold much hope, considering how piece-meal ESPN's Nats coverage was

Hikaru

Final Flight
I wonder if Dick and Peggy will do the comments? Very likely they will (this is like THEIR event lol!), but since during the whole GP series they weren't commenting (except maybe Peggy at SA), I was wondering how they'll do with the CoP, since IMO they usually don't focus too much on the technical aspect (except when it comes to the jumps). What I mean to say is that Sussie and Paul, when they did the comments in the GP series, they talked a lot about how the programs reflected with the CoP, like explaining why a move was a certain level and such.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Qualifications, etc.

As a long time follower, student and fan of figure skating and its skaters, I have seen coverage change and change and change---all in ways to follow trends, but not very often seeing coverage here in the US that can truly satisfy a fan of figure skating itself, instead of being geared towards fans of particular skaters. I have also seen small portions of events televised in depth (compulsories and ice dance compulsories), even though they are 10 - 30% of the score.

Qualifications are 20% of the competition. The best coverage, probably available in other parts of the globe, would be to show ALL the competitors in ALL the events in the order they competed in---not a chopped up version.

Seeing the highlights of the Qualifications is a start.

brad640

On the Ice
Hikaru said:
I wonder if Dick and Peggy will do the comments? Very likely they will (this is like THEIR event lol!), but since during the whole GP series they weren't commenting (except maybe Peggy at SA), I was wondering how they'll do with the CoP, since IMO they usually don't focus too much on the technical aspect (except when it comes to the jumps).

That is a good point that Dick and Peggy don't seem too familiar with the CoP. Dick makes general comments like "That is the type of move that will earn points under the new system" but he never discusses specific grade of execution etc. I hope they are there anyway because I love Dick's descriptive comments, like from nationals:

Jenny Kirk = Hitchcock Blonde

Johnny Weir = greyhound/gazelle

Kimmie Meisner = humming bird

Brad - I'm still waiting for the Button's Greatest Comments Coffee Table book
If they seed the qualis so that the top tier skaters skate last in two different groups, Uncle Dick, Aunt Peggy and First Born Peter will be there to watch the LPs before the LPs and have their comments ready. :agree:

Unless they watch the practice (with music timing) I doubt they'll comment on the Qualis but hey, I'm not sure.

Joe

LarasB

Rinkside
I would love it if I could see the compulsory dances for at least the top 4 ice dance teams. Personally for me, I would prefer it since qualifying will just show the same program that the ladies and men will skate in the long program. Since I've never seen a qualifying round, is that what they skate to?

LarasB said:
I would love it if I could see the compulsory dances for at least the top 4 ice dance teams. Personally for me, I would prefer it since qualifying will just show the same program that the ladies and men will skate in the long program. Since I've never seen a qualifying round, is that what they skate to?
Not just JUST. Most skaters are not at their peak for the Qualis and no matter if it counts only .25, every point in the CoP is important. You'll enjoy watching the skaters at their first thing in the morning. Not easy. It is the same program as the LP.

Tereza: Don't hold your breath unless he skates top 4 in the Qualis.

Joe