Omaha Nebraska SOI Review | Golden Skate

Omaha Nebraska SOI Review

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Due to time constraints, this is the best I could do for a review.

I was very happy to see that about 2/3 of the auditorium was filled, no one in the nose bleed section. The weather was quite nice in the mid 40’s so I think that helped a lot. Last year the temperature was about 7 degrees below zero and 14 inches of snow. The audience was rather subdued for the first half of the show but got into the skating in the second half. As always the audience gets into the yelling contest of what side can do it the loudest, which I think the skaters really like. There were no standing ovations for any one skater but there was at the end of the show.

These are my impressions of the highlights of the show.

Yuka Sato: I really did not like the Naughty Girl program for Yuka. She is so beautiful as a person and skater that this was not a program that does her justice. I think the audience felt the same way because there were more cheers for her when she skated to Amazing Grace, elegance and beauty.

Elena & Anton: Their If I Could program was so romantic and elegant. Anton looks thinner and has a really nice haircut. Their moves have such style and grace. When they did their Dance Mix number I thought I wouldn’t like it based on what I said above about Yuka’s more upbeat number but it was very well received and I really enjoyed it.

Sarah: She still has her style and grace. After reading some of the reviews about her, I really didn’t know what to expect. Sarah is a very lovely young woman and she is not skating like she did in the Olympics and I didn’t expect her to. This was a show, not a competition where she had to do triple jumps. Sarah is not the little girl that we are all used to seeing. She skated very well and her layback is so elegant. The Omaha audience appreciated her very much and so did I. :agree:

After the show a friend commented that he thought Alexei was the best in the show. I asked why and he said he just gives it his all, 100 percent all of the time. Of course I already knew that but to hear someone else say it warmed my heart. :love:

Alexei: His passion program is quite dangerous. While suspended in the air either by an arm or leg shows how very strong he is. I was kind of nervous :yes: while he was doing this routine but he did a nice job. At one point he throws himself backward and thank God is caught by the material wrapped around his legs. The audience lets out a gasp!!! His Shout program is more fun and the audience really got into it, especially the two ladies he is making advances to. :) He has fast movements and lots of fast footwork and is throwing a few triple jumps in to boot.

The costumes are really great and what I liked this year were the transitions. At one point a few of the skaters come out and skate around the ice to funeral dirge; :cry: they were all crying and wailing. It was quite funny. :laugh: It even rains but it made the arena quite cold and at the end it snows.

Here are some pictures

2005 Stars On Ice

Dee

Thanks for the review and sharing your pictures, Dee!
I am getting so excited as the Philly show draws nearer!

euterpe

Medalist
Todd could never lift Sarah in her current shape. He weighs only around 140 lbs and I am sure she outweighs him by at least 10 lbs.

nicole_l

Final Flight
Todd could never lift Sarah in her current shape. He weighs only around 140 lbs and I am sure she outweighs him by at least 10 lbs.

Todd could probably never lift Sarah, but there's no way that she's 150 lbs! She's 5'4'' and looks normal, just not in competitive shape. She's probably more like 115 or 120 lbs. She looks heavier because we're comparing her to herself as a 16 year old (and what 19 or 20 year old really wants to do that? You gain weight at college.) and to Kyoko and Jamie and Yuka, who are all about 85 lbs and like 5 feet tall.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
euterpe said:
I don't think she does at all. She is not heavy by any means. The difference is that she looks like a grownup woman now. I guess in your thinking maybe they should have a switch gender role pair team. Sarah could lift Todd!! Silly yes, but so are all the comments about Sarah's weight.

Dee

Linny

Final Flight
Single skaters doing pairs routines

Really, the skills that a pair develops for the lifts and throws are not something that a single skaters should undertake lightly. Yuka and Jason worked quite diligently, and it shows. And, of course, Jason was already an experienced pairs partner. Kristie was a former pairs skater so she could brush up on pairs skills she already had before performing pairs moves... and these were also with experienced pairs partners.

Perhaps Todd and Sarah should perform a "duet". That would show case their single skills and also the fact that they spin the same way.

I remember getting quite a kick out of duets performed by Brian Boitano and Katt Witt years ago. They played off each other very nicely.

Linny

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sarah is 5'6", not 5'4". If she weighed 140 lbs, she'd look a lot slimmer than she does. She has a huge bust and carries extra weight on her arms and thighs. I agree that she probably does outweigh Todd.

soogar

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Sarah is 5'6", not 5'4". If she weighed 140 lbs, she'd look a lot slimmer than she does. She has a huge bust and carries extra weight on her arms and thighs. I agree that she probably does outweigh Todd.

Actually 5'6 , 140 pounds would be about right for Sarah. Who knows, she might be 130 pounds but b/c she's somewhat flabby, she looks a lot heavier than she is. Most skaters are ridiculously skinny. I'm 5'5 135 pounds and I look like a giant next to the male single skaters at my rink.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At 5'6", if Sarah weighed 140 lbs and was all muscle, I think she would look pretty terrific---muscle weighs more than fat/flab but takes up a lot less space. At that height and level of physical fitness, she should be able to do at least a few triple jumps.

But Sarah seems to be carrying quite a lot of flab and not much muscle, and if she is having problems getting any height on double jumps and keeping up with the other skaters, she is not physically fit. I think she probably does weigh upwards of 150 lbs.

Last edited:

Linny

Final Flight
5'6"

Hey *I* am 5'6" and have gotta say that when I see 140 pounds again, it will be a very happy day.
Linny

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Dee for the review and the pictures.

Oh you're welcome Dee

The intention of this thread was to give you a little insight into the show and was not intended to rehash Sarah's flab or fatness, which is not what I saw.

I thought you would enjoy the pictures and the review but I guess not!!!!!!!! Next time I won't waste my time on you!!!!!

Dee :mad:

millie

Medalist
Dee4707 said:
Thank you Dee for the review and the pictures.

Oh you're welcome Dee

The intention of this thread was to give you a little insight into the show and was not intended to rehash Sarah's flab or fatness, which is not what I saw.

I thought you would enjoy the pictures and the review but I guess not!!!!!!!! Next time I won't waste my time on you!!!!!

Dee :mad:

Thankyou dee for taking the time to post the pictures of Sarah and the other skaters. If I were you, I would ignore those ignorant people who have nothing better to do than to degrade other people and make negative comments about other people. Keep on posting your pictures.

icenine

Rinkside
Hi Dee....
Don't let the remarks about Sarah get you down. It was fairly predictable. It never ceases to amaze me how women in the public eye get ragged on for looking even remotely healthy. It's these kinds of remarks that spur on eating disorders and other negative behaviors. Hopefully, Sarah is more sensible than that. End of sermon.
For my part, I'm not so much worried about Alexei. He seems to be fairly circumspect about putting himself in danger... I've seen his resumé, and I'm satisfied with it. I don't, however, have the resumé of the guy holding the other end of the rope, so if someone could fax that over to me, that would be great. :)
THANK YOU for your review and pictures. We are so looking forward to SOI coming to Nashville and plan on screaming and yelling like a pack of rabid banshees. Little enough to ask of an audience.

(Wheeeeee! This is my first post anywhere. I'm a total lop when it comes to technology, so I have used all default settings. Pardon my non-smiley ,non-enhanced non-icon, generic font text.)

Linny

Final Flight
Working on it

I'm working on it. What a coincidence that 140 is my goal. Perhaps Sarah will get in more athletic shape at the same time. We'll have to post side by side before and after pictures!
Linny

I lost 12 pounds!

(But I still can't do a triple Axel. :cry: )

Dee :love: , I'm late! So sorry. I was distracted by fighting with Hockeyfan about the CoP, over on the Ladies Euros thread. Thanks so much for the review and pictures. This one's my favorite:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dee2095/detail?.dir=e343&.dnm=d2b3.jpg&.src=ph

(number 91, Yuka Sato, in case that direct link doesn't work)

I join Purple Cat, NJSk8fan, Dlkk, PetLover, Idelracer, Millie and especially Icenine :) in saying, you :rock:

Icenine, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. I see you did get a smiley in there after all! I'm a little bit :sheesh: about Alexei caught up in the sheet, too.

Dee, but you know I :love: :love: your guy Alexei!

Mathman :)