Denis Petukhov Citizenship Update | Golden Skate

Denis Petukhov Citizenship Update

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Just got an email informing me that... *big fanfare exciting music*

Denis took the test this morning and passed 100%. He got nothing wrong. He will be sworn in on the 22nd. YEA!!!!!!

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Turino here we come! :agree:

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Congrats to Denis! And 100%, that's impressive! :rock: I bet I would miss something! LOL! :laugh:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
That is fantastic news for Melissa aand Denis, and for the USFSA. Not so good for the pewter medal hopefuls though :)

Not to take anything away from Denis, but you really have to be ..hmm..how should I say it PC..(slow?) in order to score anything less than 100% on this test. They ask you 10 questions out of possible 45 or so which are available ahead of time. And they are easy!

Yana

Linny

Final Flight
The Citizenship tests

Yana, did you take the citizenship test? If so, I'm pleased for you that you found it so easy.

I don't think I could pass the citizenship test for a country other than my own without studying. People from other countries aren't born knowing that the first president of the USA was George Washington. Plus, I read that they asked the same questions of high school students and the results were dismal.

And you have to take the test in English, don't you? So along with learning the material for citizenship, you might be learning a second language. I know, Yana, that you are bi-lingual 'cause you've done some totally cool translations for us at GS.

Anyway, I think passing the citizenship test is something to be proud of.

Linny

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Linny said:
Yana, did you take the citizenship test? If so, I'm pleased for you that you found it so easy.

I don't think I could pass the citizenship test for a country other than my own without studying. People from other countries aren't born knowing that the first president of the USA was George Washington. Plus, I read that they asked the same questions of high school students and the results were dismal.

And you have to take the test in English, don't you? So along with learning the material for citizenship, you might be learning a second language. I know, Yana, that you are bi-lingual 'cause you've done some totally cool translations for us at GS.

Anyway, I think passing the citizenship test is something to be proud of.

Linny

Hi Linny,

I maybe opening a can of worms here, but..

Don't you think that knowing English should be a requirement in order to become a citizen of USA? Obviously not everybody speaks English when they first arrive here (I didn't) but it takes at least 5 years before you become eligible to apply for the citizenship (in most cases) so there is no reason why somebody shouldn't be able to speak enough English to pass the test.

Furthermore, the list of possible questions is provided to you before the test so you could study, and there are only a handful of them (I think 45-50). So really, all you need to know is 45 facts about the country you are about to swear allegiance too. That's why I think that somebody like Denis, who is married to an English speaking Melissa, shouldn’t score anything less than 100%.

I don't think anybody who is fairly new to this country would be able to pass the test w/o studying first. It is very sad that some HS students can’t answer some fundamental history questions, but that speaks volumes about the state of education in some school districts.

I didn't mean to offend anybody! Sorry..

Yana

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
One of the questions on his test was "what is the 49th state" :rock: yeay for Alaska bein' on the test :rock:

There's a written part of the test, and that's what he was most concerned about, but as I've always said, he didn't have anything to worry about. From what I understand on the test all you need to do is study and you can pass.... that it's not going to ask you really trival pursuit type out of the park questions :laugh:

and don't knock the education system right away... anymore teachers assign reading that none of the students do. DON'T be quick to judge the teachers, judge the parents and their students first.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Not only did I get all questions right when I took the test, even my grandparents (70+) did.

World renowned mathematician and logician Kurt Godel fled the Nazi regime, came to the United States, and in due course applied for citizenship. One of his sponsors was Albert Einstein. Since Godel was so eccentric, the judge who presided over the citizenship hearing allowed Einstein to attend the procedings in support of his friend.

Unfortunately, the night before, Godel, in studying the U.S. Constitution, discovered a logical inconsistency which, to Godel's mind, would allow the collapse of the U.S. government and the establishment of a dictatorship. So the next day he proponded his theory to the judge with great animation, shouting, "a dictator could take over this country and I can prove it!"

Einstein managed to calm him down, and he passed anyway.

MM

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
MM, :rofl:

When my husband's uncle was taking his test, one of the questions involved the National Anthem. Being a proffesional singer, he got up, put his right hand over his heart, and started singing! The examinator had nothing left to do but to also get to his feet, put his hand on his heart, and listen respectfully.

My father ended up discussing with his examinator how they were both afraid of the draft in their respective countries (Russia and the US) when they were young.

I also know sad cases. A friend of my mother's made a small spelling error (not significant enough to fail the test). The examinator started mocking the fact that the friend was a doctor, saying things like, "How on earth could you honestly pass your medical exams here in the US when you don't know how to spell".

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
I also know sad cases. A friend of my mother's made a small spelling error (not significant enough to fail the test). The examinator started mocking the fact that the friend was a doctor, saying things like, "How on earth could you honestly pass your medical exams here in the US when you don't know how to spell".

duh, doctor's handwriting is normally so bad spelling errors are masked anyway :laugh: sorry bad try at humor...

seriously though, it's that type of person that makes all American look extremely stupid and mean... :mad:

LarasB

Rinkside
Congratulations to Denis and Melissa. They must be very excited with the Olympics being 1 year away

Matt

On the Ice
Congratulations to Denis Petukhov! This bodes well for Turin and I'm sure USFSA is breathing a collective sigh of relief and the fact that the US has at least one team with two legal members to send to the Olympics :p

As everyone is sharing our US citizenship stories, I might as well share mine: My father came to this country in 1979 from England and had to wait the 14 years of residency before he could obtain his US citizenship, which he did in 1994. I also have dual citizenship to both the US and the UK, something I am vehemently proud of, as I have strong feelings for both countries (and a good deal of family still in England) :rock:

njtoddfan

Rinkside
:party: Congrats to Melissa and Denis!! Nice to know that at least one of our upper ranking dance teams will be able to represent the US in Torino. Now if only we could get Tanith's citizenship.........

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Don't thank me Toni, thank Paula! I found that link on the Goldenskate homepage!!! LOL :rock:

Linny

Final Flight
another citizenship story

My grandmother was an illegal immigrant. She obtained citizenship during an amnesty period around WWII. Had 3 sons who have grown into productive, taxpaying citizens with children and grandchildren. From such modest beginnings...
Linny

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Ptichka said:

The examinator shouldn't have made fun of that person; they should have made fun of America in general. I remember back in the day (like the mid-90's! LOL) when spelling MISSPELL meant it only had one S. Nowadays, the two S's are fine, since so many people make that error.