Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Denis Petukhov Citizenship Update

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Congratulations to Denis Petukhov! This bodes well for Turin and I'm sure USFSA is breathing a collective sigh of relief and the fact that the US has at least one team with two legal members to send to the Olympics

As everyone is sharing our US citizenship stories, I might as well share mine: My father came to this country in 1979 from England and had to wait the 14 years of residency before he could obtain his US citizenship, which he did in 1994. I also have dual citizenship to both the US and the UK, something I am vehemently proud of, as I have strong feelings for both countries (and a good deal of family still in England)

Rinkside
    Congrats to Melissa and Denis!! Nice to know that at least one of our upper ranking dance teams will be able to represent the US in Torino. Now if only we could get Tanith's citizenship.........

Great American Ballpark Watching the Reds
    Don't thank me Toni, thank Paula! I found that link on the Goldenskate homepage!!! LOL

Custom Title

another citizenship story

My grandmother was an illegal immigrant. She obtained citizenship during an amnesty period around WWII. Had 3 sons who have grown into productive, taxpaying citizens with children and grandchildren. From such modest beginnings...
    Linny

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka

I also know sad cases. A friend of my mother's made a small spelling error (not significant enough to fail the test). The examinator started mocking the fact that the friend was a doctor, saying things like, "How on earth could you honestly pass your medical exams here in the US when you don't know how to spell".
    The examinator shouldn't have made fun of that person; they should have made fun of America in general. I remember back in the day (like the mid-90's! LOL) when spelling MISSPELL meant it only had one S. Nowadays, the two S's are fine, since so many people make that error.

Custom Title
    "Misspell" is and always has been the correct spelling of that word.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly
    "Misspell" is and always has been the correct spelling of that word.
    really? i was taught mispell was the correct spelling.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thisthingcalledlove
    really? i was taught mispell was the correct spelling.
    Nope. Check the dictionary.

mis = prefix; spell = root, thus both s's are necessary

Same with misstate, for example.

Of course, it's funnier to misspell the word "misspell," so the wrong spelling is often used as a joke.

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar

News Denis Petukhov Becomes A United States Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Congratulations to Denis Petukhov! This bodes well for Turin and I'm sure USFSA is breathing a collective sigh of relief and the fact that the US has at least one team with two legal members to send to the Olympics

As everyone is sharing our US citizenship stories, I might as well share mine: My father came to this country in 1979 from England and had to wait the 14 years of residency before he could obtain his US citizenship, which he did in 1994. I also have dual citizenship to both the US and the UK, something I am vehemently proud of, as I have strong feelings for both countries (and a good deal of family still in England)
    I'm happy for Gregory and Putukhov who most likely will be top 6 at Worlds. If B&A get top 4, then the US gets 3 teams for the Olys. I'm hoping for Manon and O'Mearer.

Joe

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I'm happy for Gregory and Putukhov who most likely will be top 6 at Worlds.
    This year? Don't count on it. Maybe next year after a few post-Olympic retirements?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz
    I'm happy for Gregory and Putukhov who most likely will be top 6 at Worlds. If B&A get top 4, then the US gets 3 teams for the Olys. I'm hoping for Manon and O'Mearer.

Joe
    Joe, are you dreaming?

How can they possibly beat the following: (no particular order, ranking based on performances and standing in the past year):

Say the top 3 are N&K, D&S (assuming they get thier stuff together), G&G
    Then we have B&A, the Israelies, the French, and the top Canadians.

That's already top 7. Then add the Italians, the Kerrs, and possibly the 2nd Canadian team.

Don't forget the other 2 Russian teams.

I would say that it would be very tough for Melissa and Denis to crack the top 10, though I wish them all the best and would be pleasantly surprised if they do.

Yana

I think G&P will be in top 10 though not in top 6.

This is how I see it (each group is in no particular order)
    1-4 N&K, De&St, B&A, G&G
    5-7 De&Sc, D&L, C&S
    8-10 Faella&Scali, Domnina&Shabalin, G&P

I wouldn't worry about Kulikova & Novikov; besides G&P had no problem beating them at NHK. Nor, based on the Europeans, would I worry much about the Kerrs. Wing & Lowe could be a problem, but I doubt it.

At Bompard G&P beat F&S. Domnina & Shabalin haven't really been "on" this season, coming behind F&S in both Cup of Russia and Europeans. Or course, we don't know how the Russians will be judged in Ice Dancing in Moscow.

So, for the 3 Olympic spots either B&A have to medal and G&P get into top 10, or B&A be 4th and G&P 9th.

Quote Originally Posted by Ptichka
    I think G&P will be in top 10 though not in top 6.

So, for the 3 Olympic spots either B&A have to medal and G&P get into top 10, or B&A be 4th and G&P 9th.
    To all who reminded me of my day dreaming, I apologize for jumping on to the American chances for a total of 13. However, Ptichka's reply does give me hope, but it isn't likely.

N&K, D&S, D&S, B&A, C&K, F&S, G&G, K&K, D&L, ?????? Even with that B&A would have to podium and that isn't all that likely.

Joe

Custom Title
    I would guess Belbin/Agosto will end up somewhere between 2nd and 5th, and Gregory/Petukhov somewhere between 8th and 12th. So a total of 13 or less is within the realm of possibility, but far from guaranteed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast