The New USA Baby Ballerinas | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The New USA Baby Ballerinas

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Sylvia said:
Archambault (13th in her 2nd senior nationals), from what I heard, was skating injured at Nationals. She's 16 (will be 17 in September) and has grown *really* tall in the 2 years since she won the junior national title in 2003.

Thanks Sylvia for the info. In that case, Erica did a fabulous job and is someone to keep an eye on. I did notice that she seemed taller than other girls and assumed she was older. I loved her program even with the mistakes.

I didn't list Bugaeva, Williams and Rosenthal because they were not shown on TV but those in Portland got to see them. All three have the talent and all three are quite different. Williams is the ballerina and I hope the judges don't mind the colour. She deserved more than what she got from them. Bugava does jump. and Rosnethal takes risks.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
shine said:
Am I the only one who just completely doesn't get the appeal of Katy Taylor? The so called artistry of her skating just escapes me. I think she does remind people of Tara Lipinski, except with even less expression and polish. She's probably a good enough skater since she is the reigning jr. world bronze medalist, but in terms of basic skating quality, she' can't even come close to Meissner, nor are her stretch/extension and posture. And I don't find her particularly musical or lyrical. She is a very mediocre skater to me. I'll take Liang, Meissner and Hughes over her ANYDAY.

Shine, you are not the only one. I don't understand the excitement over Katy either. She does remind me of Tara Lipinski but she does not have Tara's consistency on jumps. She is nowhere close to Kimmie in skating skills or jumps (I am sorry, I did not mean to criticize her so much), and I am surprised that the two of them are often mentioned in one breath.

Vash

mzheng

Record Breaker
Well, guess you have to be in person to see Katy's jump, I guess. I diddn't see any of them in person, just based on what show on TV at National. But according to someone profesionals had seen all of them in person (at National) Katy is the ONE to watch in next a few years. And her jumps already have more power to Kimmie's.

2ndmark

Rinkside
Shine and Vash: I'm with you and agree that Katy reminds me of Tara. That's not a good thing.

My vote's Bebe.

brenlynn

On the Ice
2ndmark said:
Shine and Vash: I'm with you and agree that Katy reminds me of Tara. That's not a good thing.

My vote's Bebe.
how is katy reminding you of tara a bad thing? tara was an amazing skater, and accomplished a lot in her short carreer. she is after all an olympic champion - nothing bad about that i'd say.

out of all of those girls... i most enjoy watching katy taylor. powerful skating, with wonderful artistry. i would put bebe a close 2nd as to those i enjoy. but, katy is the one i am pullling for!

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
Which ones do you like and who will lead the pack:

Beatriza Liang - been around but this is her breakthrough year.

Kimmie Meissner - Novice gold and Jr. silver and triple Axel.

Katy Taylor - Runner up to Kimmie. Very talented.

Emilie Hughs - Gutsy and better than we thought.

I think it will be a battle between Kimmie and Bebe for the next 4 years.

Joe

I think Kimmie Meissner has the "look" of a champion. She has the triple axel, strong, clean triples, beautiful carriage, and she skates with a calmness and confidence. I fully expect her to win the US title starting in 2007 (after Michelle wins her record-breaking 10th title), and I think she will be the leading American woman skater through the 2010 Olympics.

I also like Emilie Hughes. She has powerful jumps, a joyful personality on the ice, and she has good carriage and flow. I think she will be a US silver and/or bronze medalist starting in 2007, through the 2010 Olympics.

Bebe is a delightful skater to watch, and I hope she makes future World and Olympic teams, but I do not expect to see her win titles.

From what I saw of Katy Taylor at Nationals, she has a long way to go to challenge the above-mentioned skaters. She rushes her jumps and makes a lot of errors. Of course, it was her first appearance at senior Nationals, and she might have felt a lot of pressure.

jesslily

Final Flight
Basically Kimmie and Bebe are A students and Emily and Katy are B or maybe C students if you evaluate them in a school marking system. Katy has a lot of things to work on, jumps, spins, and flexibility.

Crizzy

Rinkside
Kimmie is a notorious jumper. Her consistency will take her quite far but her other areas need some fine tuning especially if she's going to compete against the Japanese ladies particularly Mao Asada. She has a nice flow to her skating but slow at times. She needs stamina because she has too many rest stops in her skating and she needs to focus on her spins. She also has the looks to boot for the US audience. She's a risk taker for now, but I wonder about next season and the next after that.

Katy Taylor needs major improvement in her jump techniques like really fast. Her flip looks iffy. Her toe jumps are her nemesis. What she has in her arsenal are her amazing speed in her spins. She can attain many variations in her spins and her layback is the traditional kind too! Agree she rushes her jumps but I disagree that she has bad posture and carriage. She always have her head up when skating and never looks down on the ice. But she's not marketable and lack audience appeal unlike Kimmie whose being prep by the USFSA already.

Bebe has the overall package. Amazing jumper, attain good speed in her spins although not as flexible in her back. She's an athletic figure skater. Sometimes her fast speed can seem erratic and doesn't have the same smoothness as Kimmie's but what she has is "personality". She skates with heart and conviction. Bebe is a very passionate skater and she'll do well in the international scene. Unfortunately, in the USFSA' s eyes there could only be ONE up and coming queen and I think we already know whom they have in mind.

Emily has a womanly body and I too wonder if mother nature is done with her. Her spins are good, her jumps are good. She needs major improvement in elevating her choreography. I hope she chooses a choreographer that will accentuate her womanhood and not fall trap of the girlie/cutesy figure skating programs. She lacks character on her skating but she's also not a slouch. I just don't see any spark in her unlike her sister. Sarah can be gawky at times, but she has the oomph in her skating.

Bebe is the comeback kid but I truly believe that Kimmie has the staying power barring injury. She's driven and yet remain humble. Emily is the dark horse like her sister in the 2002 Oly. She'll make her move slowly but progressively. Katy is the wild card. She has the talent to be competitive, it's really all mental now.

Matt

On the Ice
I definitely think Meissner is the American favourite for the successor to the "baby ballerina" crown. The puberty monster still has a little way to go with her, but her jumping technique is solid. She has the long limbs and the range of motion for interesting variations and gorgeous lines. Her carriage is good, but there are times when it leaves her and she rounds her back (running camels, illusions, etc).

Liang is my favourite, however. She took some real musical risks with the Harry Potter soundtrack and the Piazzola tango, but she pulled them off. I would say that Sarah Kawahara for her is what Lori Nichol was to MK; the choreography fits her perfectly. She may not have the back flexibility, but she got pretty supple hip-flexors for the Charlotte, so I think she's OK (remember, MK's back isn't all that flexible either) I don't think the edge jump issue will be a factor under CoP. You also have to remember that Liang is the only one of the "baby ballerinas" who has competed on the senior GP (Cup of Russia last year), so she has proven herself somewhat. I do agree that she needs a 3-3 to compete with Meissner's 3axel, but she could be one who could pull off the MK consistency factor.

I don't think it's fair to write Taylor off our list. She had a bad skate, it's her first year as a senior, and if everything I've read about her on the junior circuit is true, theen she's a contender. The triple toe is the big one for her; she needs to get the proper technique for it down pat. I think we need to see her skate clean before we judge her though.

Except for her final combination spin (in which she could be lower in the sit spin, IMHO), I haven't seen all of Emily Hughes's programme :cry:, so I can't judge

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like all of them! :) And I think all of them have the potential to do well.

I think Kimmie has the most potential mainly because I think she's got the competitive fire in her. She holds up under pressure and seems to skate better in the bigger situations. That will take her far.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You do have to admire Kimmie for her ability to hold it together under pressure. At the JGPF this year, she was all the way down in 7th after the SP, but then came back by placing 2nd in the FS to win the bronze medal.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Amen!!

purplecat said:
I like all of them! :) And I think all of them have the potential to do well.

I think Kimmie has the most potential mainly because I think she's got the competitive fire in her. She holds up under pressure and seems to skate better in the bigger situations. That will take her far.

The ability physically and mentally to do it when it counts is one of the most important qualities of a top competitor IMO. And Kimmie seems to be showing early signs of having that quality. ITA it will take her far if she's got it, and can keep it.

Now all Kimmie needs is about 10 well trained German Shepherd Dogs to stand between her and the Media between now and Turin.

DG

mzheng

Record Breaker
Doggygirl said:
Now all Kimmie needs is about 10 well trained German Shepherd Dogs to stand between her and the Media between now and Turin.

DG

:rofl: So true. Before she got lost in media hype like Sasha.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Im for BEBE and Kimmie all the way. BEBE for artistry and KImmie for her technical superiority,