Four Continents Entries | Golden Skate

Four Continents Entries

Lots of Entries. I wonder who will be shown on ESPN.

The only top tier skaters among the men that I see are Chngjian LI, Min Zhang, Daisuke Takahashi, Evan Lysacek, Delmore (if you consider him top tier), Matt Savoie.

Among the Ladies: Yukari Nakano (don't know her), Yoshie Onda, Fumie Suguri; Amber, Jennie and Beatriza. Will there be a showdown between Jenny and Bebe?

There are some substitutes I'd like to see again.

Joe

Joe

Last edited:

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
It is strange that all the top ice dance couples from Canada have elected not to go. In the past they used to participate.

Yana

Matt

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Among the Ladies: Yukari Nakano (don't know her), Yoshie Onda, Fumie Suguri; Amber, Jennie and Beatriza. Will there be a showdown between Jenny and Bebe?

Joe

Joe

Nakano was the Japanese skater who created a lot of buzz at SA a couple of years ago when she landed the 3axel in competition (1st since Midori Ito). She has some promise, but from everything I've seen, is still pretty unpolished and inconsistent (she does have more artistry than Ludmila Nelidina, the other woman who landed the 3axel at that SA, but that's really not saying much)

Matt

On the Ice
SailorGalaxia518 said:
I predict a sweep of the pairs event for China and a possible sweep of the ice dancing event for the U.S.

Definitely probable, but I still wouldn't rule out some of the Canadian teams (Senft/Gislason have been doing rather well on the junior circuit)

I'm interested to know if any of the teams/skaters from the other countries do well enough to be shown (I'd love to see some of the Mexican skaters make it up there for a change of pace; probably won't happen though, nor would ESPN show them if they did :sheesh: )

Matt said:
Definitely probable, but I still wouldn't rule out some of the Canadian teams (Senft/Gislason have been doing rather well on the junior circuit)

I'm interested to know if any of the teams/skaters from the other countries do well enough to be shown (I'd love to see some of the Mexican skaters make it up there for a change of pace; probably won't happen though, nor would ESPN show them if they did :sheesh: )
ITA and I would like to see them judged more fairly.

Joe

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Inoue and Baldwin are Out of Four Continents

John Baldwin was injured (no official announcement yet) while practicing on home ice, and so Rena and John have withdrawn from 4CC.

They will be replaced by Brooke Castile and Benjamin Okolski.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Where in the WORLD is Song Gao? He had a good season last year, making the GPF and now he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet, rather similar to Binshu Xu, China's Ladies champion (tho she at least appeared in a few junior competitions.)

In the men's, I would LOVE to see Delmore on the podium, and with this field I think he might have a fair shot if he can hold it together.

I see Japan taking 2 out of 3 medals with Suguri and Onda, but I'm not sure I'd pick Nakano to complete a sweep. I'm with Joe thinking there's going to be a showdown between Kirk and Liang (hopefully Bebe will get the scores she deserves here, as opposed to being way undermarked the way she was at Nats). And I thought Mira Leung was going to be there as well, but she's not on the list.

Anything less than a sweep by the Chinese in pairs would be truly stunning.

I'm kind of thinking a possible US sweep in Dance as well, but I think it's more likely one of the Canadian couples will pick up the bronze. I'm rather rooting for Martine Patenaude & Pascal Denis -- I had no idea that Martine had been around so long (though not continuously); just LAST NIGHT, as a matter of fact, I was going through my Ice Dance History book and was startled to see her name in the standings from the 1990 Junior Worlds. Was also startled to see that Laura & Luke Munana (gee, do you suppose their mother was a General Hospital fan?? :laugh: ) are now representing Mexico; I seem to recall they were US junior or novice medallists several years ago.

coolio

Rinkside
The showdown between Liang and Kirk will be an interesting one. But I think Jennifer will come out on top and she can even contest again Suguri for the gold if she skates a clean program. I'm interested in seeing how well 2nd tier Canadian team will do in 4CC.

Thanks for posting, Coolio, and welcome. I agree, clean is the key for Jenny. She is capable of fine performances, but often makes just enough mistakes to keep her out of contention.

Mathman

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
I pray to god that Hongbo Zhao has a small injury so that he can have a full recovery by world. Otherwise Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin will definitely win their 2nd world title.

Hope someone has details to what happened to him :cry:

SailorGalaxia518 said:
I pray to god that Hongbo Zhao has a small injury so that he can have a full recovery by world. Otherwise Tatiana Totmianina and Maxim Marinin will definitely win their 2nd world title.

Hope someone has details to what happened to him :cry:
My money is on T&M anyway for Worlds. But I have serious thoughts about the Olys. The Chinese Federation, imo, want this, and S&Z want to retire. The Russian Federation want to regain their position as the sole possessor of the Olys.

Joe

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
dfj said:
Why would they want S/Z to retire a year before Olys?

I seem to recall S/Z mentioning having the desire to retire after SLC, only the Chinese federation wouldn't let them, in part because they were (and are) the team stars and they wanted their leadership -- and of course the results they can bring in. So in part they're staying thru Torino to try for the gold medal the federation would like to have.

I'm also thinking that T/M are probably going to win Worlds as well. Not because of home ice, but more because of COP. T/M have probably the most flawless technique on just about all maneuvers, and under COP that really racks in the points. Granted, S/Z have much better expression than T/M (and IMO so do about 75% of the rest of the pairs in the world), and more spectacular "tricks" but under COP as I understand it (assuming I do at all :sheesh: ), I don't think that counts for as much.