Movies That You Didn't Like, But Others Did.... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Movies That You Didn't Like, But Others Did....

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Hate Star Wars, Star Trek, Rocky, Jason, Freddie, Micheal Myers, James Bond, Matrix.

Love Howard's End, Enchanted April, Rob Roy, Pulp Fiction, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Steele Magnolias, Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, The Cutting Edge, The Others, Muriel's Wedding, Best In Show, Grease, The Exorcist, The Omen, The Big Chill, Bull Durham, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Love Actually, Circle of Friends, The Commitments, The Joy Luck Club, True Lies....

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Robert Massie wrote a wonderful book that was truly a labor of love because of his interest in hemophilia. Anya have you read "Journey" by Robert and Susanne Massie?

SingAlto

On the Ice
Pretty Woman - Don't understand why so many people love this movie.
Sophie's Choice - I fell asleep in the theatre.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - The scene where they're eating monkey brains is disgusting.
Risky Business - Boring.
Ice Castles - Asinine plot and just dreary.
All James Bond movies - Not only are they lame, but they cater to all mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging Neanderthals everywhere.

Jill

On the Ice
THE #1 movie that I just can't stand and just don't get: Moulin Rouge! The camera work made me nervous and the music sophomoric.

Also on my walk of shame,
Love Story-I mean could they have found two actors with less onscreen chemistry than Ali Magraw and Ryan Oneal?
Titanic-Loved the costumes, the music, set design and cinematography, but IMHO, if you don't buy into the premise, the film is going to go flat. I didn't buy into the love story. There's no way, even in this day and age, that those two ever would've hooked up.
A Christmas Story-I liked it the first time I saw it, but I think it's way over-rated.
Breakfast at Tiffanys-As much as I loved both George Peppard and Audrey Hepburn, I thought this film was dopey. Maybe it's just outdated, but her character annoyed the heck out of me.

Now, I'm glad someone mentioned Nicholas&Alexandra. That film sparked my interest in Russia and their revolution, flawed as it was. Ditto for Dr. Zhivago, which is one of my all time favorites.

As for the Godfather, as much as I love that movie, I think Part 2 is the best of all the series, and I couldn't sit thru Godfather Part 3.

Jill

On the Ice
Oh, I forgot Beaches, that yawner with Bette Midler and Barbara Hershey. It seemed to go on and on forever, about nothing in particular.

anya_angie

Final Flight
Jill, I promise you, the actual score of Moulin Rouge is worth hearing, even if you don't think you'll like it. If you love piano, contact me somehow and I will send you the promotional album not available in stores and scarcely heard in the film.

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
anya_angie said:
Whoa, Kurt did The Passion last year? or was it this year?

It's impossible for him to have done it before last year, because the music was never released before then.

Yeah, he did "The Feeling Begins" from Passion; same music Yagudin is using at SOI this year. Only time Kurt has perfromed it that I'm aware of is World Team Challenge 2004 (instrumental in winning it for Canada :) ).Personally I think it's an incredible program; one of my favorites. The music is so...well...passionate, pardon the pun. I have the WMV file from off rinkside, and I'd be more than pleased to send it along to you if you like. o...well...passionate, pardon the pun.

Last edited:

anya_angie

Final Flight
Wrong Passion.

The Passion Of The Christ, the Mel Gibson film, had music composed by John Debney, a born-again Christian who is famous for doing Cutthroat Island and Seaquest DSV. He is nominated for an Oscar this year for Best Original Score.

The music you are referring to is Peter Gabriel, from his album The Passion. I don't know if this is from a movie, but filmtracks has no information on it.

mpal2

Final Flight
anya_angie said:
Whoa, Kurt did The Passion last year? or was it this year?

It's impossible for him to have done it before last year, because the music was never released before then.

Kurt's music was Peter Gabriel's "The Feeling Begins", but he called the program itself Passion.

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
anya_angie said:
Wrong Passion.

The Passion Of The Christ, the Mel Gibson film, had music composed by John Debney, a born-again Christian who is famous for doing Cutthroat Island and Seaquest DSV. He is nominated for an Oscar this year for Best Original Score.

The music you are referring to is Peter Gabriel, from his album The Passion. I don't know if this is from a movie, but filmtracks has no information on it.

Oops. I knew that... :eek: . *coughs in embarassment*

Thank you for setting me straight. I will try not to sound quite *that* stupid in the future. :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Speaking of "Love Story".....cheesy yes, but I think this movie put Ali McGraw at the top of the list of "Worst Acting by an Actress in a Single Role".....who discovered her and who told her that she could act? 42

Eeyora

Final Flight
Titanic (It was way to long I knew what was going to happen)
The English Ptient ( I couldn' take it)
The Lion King
Eyes Wide Shut ( Sex or no sex that was extremely boring)
Four Weddings and A Funeral
Ice Castles

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
1. "Chicago" - I didn't hate this film, but I was WAY underwhelmed after hearing all of the hype. It didn't move me all that much.
2. "As Good As It Gets" - Good, but again, I certainly didn't understand all of the
awards and hype.
3. "Billy Elliot" - I just couldn't get into it no matter how I tried!
4. "Nicholas & Alexandra" - ABSOLUTELY, Anya! Massie's book was so beautifully written and alive. The film was cold and ponderous.

Some that I absolutely love, but that others hate with a passion:
"Solaris" - the Clooney version
"Moulin Rouge"
"Dogville"

anya_angie

Final Flight
*swoon* Moulin Rouge, sigh!

This endin's silly. Why would the courtisan go for the penniless writer? Whoops! I mean SITAR PLAYER!

Sorry to combine this thread with Oscar, but some things go together like peas and carrots.

"The Feeling Begins" is from Peter Gabriel's CD "Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ," which is Martin Scorsese's 1988 film. Peter Gabriel scored "Last Temptation," for which Gabriel was NOT nominated for Best Original Score. Dave Grusin won for scoring "The Milagro Beanfield War." Scorsese, however, was nominated for Best Director, but true to Academy form, he didn't win. The winner was...ahem...the Oscar went to Barry Levinson for "Rain Man," which also won Best Picture.

You can order the CD "Passion: Music for The Last Temptation of Christ" and/or see the list of tracks and /listen to 30 seconds of each at Tower Records

As for movies I hate that others do, my list is at least as long as 4DogKnight's. Since it's late and "Night of the Iguana" is almost over, I'll just list some of my most hated that were most beloved by others:
--Forrest Gump: This is not a movie to many who love it, but rather a religion. I think a lot of people love it because the message is "You do great things in life even if you're stupid as long as you have heart." Americans love this kind of crap.
--Schindler's List: Toni, you are not alone. The main reason I hate "Schindler's List" is that it takes a completely horrific time in history and sugar-coats it.l It's the Disneyland version of the Holocaust, IMO. Oscar Schindler's motives are good from beginning to end, when he was just as interested in exploiting the Jews as the Nazis for years as the Jews worked for him. There are too many cute exchanges, such as, "Schindler, the pressing machine is not working!" "Good, the Nazis will lose the war sooner." Ha ha ha. The metaphors were also way too obvious and hit the viewer over the head like an anvil. The girl in the red coat, for example. Don't get me started.
--Every movie Steven Spielberg has directed EXCEPT "Duel" (made for TV), "The Sugarland Express," and "Catch Me If You Can."
--Every "Rocky"
--"Terms of Endearment"
--"As Good As It Gets"
--"Broadcast News" -- pretty much all those James L. Brooks jobs.
--"Pulp Fiction" but like "Resevoir Dogs" and think it's the superior film compared to "PF."
--"Moonstruck" Couldn't understand the fuss about Cher. When I thought she was really great was as the stringy-haired lesbian in "Silkwood."
--Love/Hate "Breakfast at Tiffany's." Hate it because it has nothing to do with the spirit of the book. Love it because Audrey Hepburn is at her peak, as far as romantic comedy. Her acting peak is in "Two for the Road."
--Another hater of the sentimental schlock of "Sling Blade"
--"Shakespeare in Love" What a waste of Joseph Fiennes fine...well, you know.
--"Top Gun"
--"Days of Thunder"--though most others don't like it either
--"The Bridges of Madison County"
--"Mystic River"
--"Million Dollar Baby"
--"Moulin Rouge"

I'm giving myself a headache. More later, maybe. One's health comes first.

Rgirl

anya_angie

Final Flight
No matter how much I wanted to like it, I always fall asleep during Lost In Translation, and I am a huge Bill Murray fan!

Clint Eastwood's films put me to sleep too.

I know there was more, but I can't recall what else.

Kasey

Medalist
Most recently, "Lost in Translation" and "Terminal".

All time movie I despised (still do) and everyone else loves...."E.T."

Yeah, color me weird.

Kasey

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Tonichelle said:
Titanic....
Couldn't agree more!

eliza88 said:
The English Patient
A soapy mess IMHO.

anya_angie said:
I'll add Doctor Zhivago to the list. Never read the book, but I actually had to turn off the movie during the first part, and did not finish it until some months later when I was absolutely bored to death anyway.
I couldn't finish the movie either. However, you shouldn't let that prejudice you against the book. While I like Pasternak's poetry better than D.Z., it is a worthy book. Especially for you, since you obviously have an interest in that period of Russian history.

Tonichelle said:
Schindler's List.
This is a tough one. There were several things that I seriously disliked in that movie. One was the idealization of Schindler once he undergoes those changes. Overall, I think Spielberg was more concerned with educational value rather than artistic one. I am glad that movie was made, but I don't consider it great art. Just read RGirl's opinion about the movie and don't really have anything to add to what she says.

The suregarcoating is what makes me really hate Sweet Life. I just don't see how you can have a comedy about that tragedy. Especially since the reality was so much more horrific than how it is protrayed.

I won't really go on, since I have odd taste and my list would be way too long.

Jill

On the Ice
Rumour has it that Schindler armed those Jews. I haven't read the book, so I don't know for sure, but that sounds like something that Speilberg would choose to leave out.