What is happening to Tara Lipinski??? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

What is happening to Tara Lipinski???

brad640

On the Ice
chuckm said:
Note how many of the appearances are as herself as opposed to actual acting roles.

Yes, and Tara is not even getting the best "celebrity skater as herself" roles anymore. Ice Princess is coming out in March, and Michelle Kwan is playing herself as a skating commentator. The trailer is at:

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/main.html?dlink=iceprincess

Michelle has the line "With a skater like this, anything is possible!" At least Tara can be consoled that Michelle is not a great actor either.

At least Tara can be consoled that Michelle is not a great actor either.
Hey, what do you mean? Michelle was great! :laugh:

Do you know who did the skating for Michelle Trachenberg?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It makes my skin crawl to hear that Kwan, too, is considering a career in acting. She shouldn't!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
How does a brief cameo in a film show that Michelle is considering an acting career? Also, IMHO, Sarah can get away without jumping because she is the reigning OGM.

euterpe

Medalist
attyfan said:
How does a brief cameo in a film show that Michelle is considering an acting career?.

Kwan once mentioned in an interview she might be interested in acting.

attyfan said:
Also, IMHO, Sarah can get away without jumping because she is the reigning OGM.

IMHO, it's unfair to audiences who are paying $$ to see Sarah as the headliner, and then discover that she isn't able to skate like an OGM winner any more. She's getting away with it monetarily for now, but in a year, she will no longer be the reigning OGM, and if the new winner is interested in joining SOI, Sarah could be out of a job.

lavender

Record Breaker
attyfan said:
How does a brief cameo in a film show that Michelle is considering an acting career? Also, IMHO, Sarah can get away without jumping because she is the reigning OGM.

Ok, I guess after next year Sarah won't be able to get away with it double jumps.

euterpe said:
Kwan once mentioned in an interview she might be interested in acting.
In several interviews Michelle has given the impression that she is looking around for something to sink her teeth into after she retires from figure skating competition. But so far she hasn't found anything that she likes nearly as much.

When you are the world champion at something (this goes for Tara, too), it must be hard to pursue a different interest that you are only just pretty good at.

Mathman

gezando

Final Flight
I miss Tara, I hope she is successful in whatever she choose to do.

Michelle's dad, is building an ice rink / training facility in Artesia CA. I think she will be actively involved in this project post 2006

mzheng

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
It makes my skin crawl to hear that Kwan, too, is considering a career in acting. She shouldn't!

Guess she is doing it just for some fun? She might seriously for coaching though.

IDLERACER

Medalist
I just watched the trailer for that Ice Princess film. It doesn't look too promising. Hey, wanna see the easiest picture in the world to write a caption to? Click HERE. Notice the people in the background, pointing at her and talking to that little girl. They're probably saying, "See? If you don't study hard in school, you're going to wind up like her!" :biggrin:

Margaux

Spectator
I hope Stacey and Clinton don't see this picture. Tara may end up on "What Not to Wear"! :laugh:

mpal2

Final Flight
I'm not quite sure where the "Michelle wants to be an actress" came in. But if she was ever quoted as saying that, I believe it was in relation to things like being one of the voices in Mulan II and things like that. If you're being asked to do them based on your name, I say go for it. Sounds like fun to me too. However, I never got the impression that she was going to be auditioning like crazy to make acting her next job.

I see her being primed to be one of the next skating commentators if she wants it. The cameos and voiceovers only help her get used to being in front of a camera in a different role than skater.

Linny

Final Flight
post skating acting careers

Katt Witt had said (way, way back after the 2nd Olys) that she wanted to be an actress. She had a cameo, playing a skater, in a film with Robert DeNiro... but that's all I remember. Accent probably held her back a bit in English language films... but she is certainly an incredible actress on ice.
Linny

My latest issue of Int'l Skating has a nice article with plenty gushing for you Taradicts. She's doing fine and gets plenty of gigs. She is now working on a film called Alpha Dog about drug smuggling starring Sharon Stone, Justin Timberlake, Bruce Willis and Harry Dean Stanton. It's directed by Cassavetes.
She's in good company but I'm curious as to what she will be doing in that film.

She also talks about how much goal oriented she is about acting. She feels she comopleted her skating goals so we are led to believe there will be no more skating.

Check it out.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm. "Goal oriented about acting"--what the heck does that mean? In figure skating, you progress through juvenile, intermediate, junior, senior, or make your way up the ladder to the top of the podium.

The only goal for an actor is to keep getting roles, and hope for a big break. But getting that big break requires two things: luck and TALENT. Tara was an extremely talented skater, but IMHO, she is a dismal actress.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Something tells me Tara's 'part' will either end up on the cutting room floor, or if you blink you'll miss her.

IDLERACER

Medalist
chuckm said:
Something tells me Tara's 'part' will either end up on the cutting room floor, or if you blink you'll miss her.
Not only is that probably true, but if one examines the I.M.D.B. credits for this film (which reportedly lists the actors in order of importance), we're probably not going to be seeing much of Sharon Stone or Courtney Cox either. As a side note, notice how many members of the Cassavetes family managed to snag bit parts in this thing:

Emile Hirsch .... Johnny Truelove
Justin Timberlake .... Frankie Ballenbacher
Anton Yelchin .... Zack Mazursky
Shawn Hatosy .... Elvis Schmidt
Ben Foster .... Jake Mazursky
Chris Marquette .... Keith Stratten
Dominique Swain .... Susan Hartunian
Fernando Vargas .... Tiko 'TKO' Martinez
Olivia Wilde .... Angela Holden
Lukas Haas .... Buzz Fecske
Bruce Willis .... Sonny Truelove
Heather Wahlquist .... Wanda Haynes
Amanda Seyfried .... Julie Beckley
Vincent Kartheiser .... Pick Giamo
Harry Dean Stanton .... Cosmo Gadabeeti
Matthew Barry .... Interviewer
Alex Solowitz .... 911 (aka Bobby Kaye)
Sharon Stone .... Olivia Mazursky
David Thornton .... Butch Mazursky
Charity Shea .... Sabrina Pope
James Finnerty .... Tim Foley
Danny A. Abeckaser .... Latino Youth #1
James Molina .... Latino Youth #2
Bobby Cooper .... Bob Nolder
Alexandra Cassavetes .... Jonna Kirshner
Holt McCallany .... Det. Tom Finnegan
Courteney Cox .... D.A. Erica Price
Veronica Ross .... 9-Year-Old Kirshner
John Ross .... 5-Year-Old Kirshner
Alex Kingston .... Tiffany Hartunian
Chuck Pacheco .... Chucky Mota
Chris Kinkade .... Juergen Ballenbacher
Alan Thicke .... Douglas Holden
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Joshua Alba .... Klemash
Neill Barry .... Officer Howard
Nina Barry .... Rose
Frank Cassavetes .... Adrian Jones
Sasha Cassavetes .... Santa Fe Kid #3
Shera Danese .... Abby
Nancy De Mayo .... Dale Dierker
Greg Fitzpatrick .... Detective
M.C. Gainey .... Mr. Johansson
Paulina Gretzky .... Santa Fe Kid #1
Amber Heard .... Alma
Janet Jones .... Elaine Holden
Vincent Laresca .... Doug Davenport
Lefty .... Adolf (Johnny Truelove's Dog)
Todd Lewis .... Mr. Hartunian
Tara Lipinski .... Diana Lake
Tzi Ma .... Coroner
Mycole Metcalf .... Sunshine Parsons
Frank Peluso .... Lumpy Yeager
Lizzy Press .... Saleslady
Regina Rice .... 911's Girl
Sadie .... Dale Dierker's Dog
Musetta Vander .... Connie Jones
Alec Vigil .... P.J. Truelove
Kristen Williams .... News Reporter
Will Wright .... Chester
Laura Nativo .... Elvis's Girl (uncredited)

She's there, listed towards the end. The cast is listed in order of appearance. and there are a lot of Cassavetes. He did leave his mother out. Not like in "Notebook". A nice film and should have given both actors a nomination.

Joe