What is happening to Tara Lipinski??? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

What is happening to Tara Lipinski???

gezando

Final Flight
millie said:
Sasha will be remembered as an excellent Gold medalist at the Olympics

Millie trash talking so soon, tempting skate gods so early. If Cohen wins Olys in 06, then you have bragging rights for 4 years, if she does not just know the rules of trash talk ;), and don't whine if others remind you

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Soogar - I can go along with your last paragraph but what is quoted in the article is that she is goal oriented toward acting. She wants that recognition, and there is nothing wrong with people having goals. But I don't think it is to satisfy a challenge without a goal. Acting is not a sport. It is a profession.

Joe

Well now that I've read the article (it's posted on Tararulz.com), her quote did not concern anything about recognition for acting. She basically said she wanted to "aspire to higher levels". That's not necessarily being famous. Perhaps she wants to take on more difficult roles and inhabit another character. If she just wants to be famous, she could be like Sara and skate on SOI and do ice shows. She doesn't want to do that b/c after her hip went bust, she can't reach higher levels in skating. So now she has new challenges.

As for those who say Tara can't act, are you implying that EVERYONE who is an actress can act? B/c there are loads of folks working the soaps and TV shows with zero acting talent. I don't think that Tara is a complete zero in the acting department. I'm a zero b/c there's no way I can even deliver a line. From what I've seen , Tara is pretty good (at least as good as the other teeny boppers). She's very natural on camera and has a nice voice.
http://www.tararulz.com/gallerytest/details.php?image_id=4146

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There are lots of people getting jobs in acting that can't act. But these women are either outstandingly beautiful or have voluptuous bodies, or both. While they are young, they get lots of bit parts and small roles because of their physical attributes, but they don't get any meaty roles because they don't have the talent to handle them. When they get past 35-36, the bit parts dry up because there are plenty of beautiful young women lined up to take their place.

I agree with others that Tara is a zero in the acting department, and as she is neither gorgeous nor voluptuous she hasn't much going for her other than the name recognition she gets due to her OGM. But as time goes by, the name recognition will gradually fade away.

What is driving Tara is the need to remain in the public eye. She has been a celebrity since she was 8 or 9 years old because of her skating. Since she can't skate any more, she wants to establish herself as an actress in order to maintain her status as a celebrity. Tara wants to be a STAR. That would be fine if she had even a modicum of acting talent. IMHO, she doesn't.

brad640

On the Ice
chuckm said:
What is driving Tara is the need to remain in the public eye. She has been a celebrity since she was 8 or 9 years old because of her skating. Since she can't skate any more, she wants to establish herself as an actress in order to maintain her status as a celebrity. Tara wants to be a STAR. That would be fine if she had even a modicum of acting talent. IMHO, she doesn't.

I could see Tara capitalizing on her name recognition in reality television. I bet she could get a part in The Surreal Life.

soogar

Record Breaker
chuckm said:

Well Tara said that her hip was okay. Surely she could pull a Sarah and skate with SOI just doing doubles. If she wanted name recognition, she could have done what Pasha Gritchuk did when she first got out to Hollywood and appear on every B list celebrity show (I still remember Pasha getting on stage on this celebrity singing show on the USA network uncomfortably warbling a tune).

As for beauty, that's in the eye of the beholder (I think Tara is pretty) plus makeup and lighting does wonders to make someone beautiful. There are lots of dogs in Hollywood who look fantastic when they're fully made up but when you see them in person they look horrible. As for voluptuous, there are lots of mediocre, average looking actresses with flat chests who are successful in Hollywood (Calista Flockhart, Lara Flynn Boyle, etc). Tara can always get implants if the flat chest is a problem.

euterpe

Medalist
Tara already has name recognition. It's just about her only trump card.

Pasha Gritchuk wanted very badly to become a movie star after the 98 Olympics and she made the usual rounds, trying to make contacts. It all came to nothing. AFAIK, she is coaching somewhere, and has a child.

Tara's hip is NOT OK. She has arthritis, and hanging around cold rinks exacerbates it. I don't think SOI would take her back even if she wanted to skate again. When they did the SOI promotion show back a month or so, they showed clips of all the big stars who ever skated in SOI---except Tara. Her omission was glaring.

Tara is OK-looking, but she is by no means a great beauty. Sure she could get implants (if she hasn't already done so) and have plastic surgery to improve her looks, but she is never going to be a statuesque beauty queen. But all the physical improvements in the world will not compensate for the fact that the girl simply cannot act.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
millie said:
Sasha will be remembered as an excellent Gold medalist at the Olympics

What Olympic games? Have you been playing a fantasy skating game online, and have Sasha Cohen as your skater? Did she win the Olympics there?

millie

Medalist
thisthingcalledlove said:
What Olympic games? Have you been playing a fantasy skating game online, and have Sasha Cohen as your skater? Did she win the Olympics there?

thisthingcalledlove, if you had read my thread correctly, you would have read this TARA DID, SARAH DID AND SASHA WILL WIN THE GOLD AT OLYMPICS 2006. My fantasy of Sasha winning the gold is just as real as your fantasy :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: skater winning the gold. I won't mention any names because I don't want to be accused of bashing. Goodbye and that all she wrote.

gezando

Final Flight
millie said:
t SASHA WILL WIN THE GOLD AT OLYMPICS 2006. My fantasy of Sasha winning the gold

You need to learn the difference b/w fantasy, i.e. a wish that Cohen will win from trash talking and tempting skategods i.e claiming ahead of time that Sasha will wiin.

Last edited:
I thought we settled that already. Joanne Rochette will win, with Miki Ando second and Susanna Poykio third.

MM

brad640

On the Ice
soogar said:
Well Tara said that her hip was okay. Surely she could pull a Sarah and skate with SOI just doing doubles.

Tara has made a better effort at becoming an actress than Sarah has made at becoming a doctor. Between Tara winning an Oscar and Sarah finding a cure for cancer, I would say Tara has a better chance.

soogar

Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Tara has made a better effort at becoming an actress than Sarah has made at becoming a doctor. Between Tara winning an Oscar and Sarah finding a cure for cancer, I would say Tara has a better chance.

I too think Tara is making a good effort at being an actress. Regardless of whether folks think she has talent or not, she's making the rounds and dealing with the rejections like all the other aspiring actresses. Tara is still a very young woman and she has a lot of options out there. If she wants to go to school she has her whole life to do so.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I do find it interesting that, so far, I have seen nothing about her maybe going to college. Seems to me that would be the best idea because you never know if you're going to make it in the acting business and should have a back up plan and get educated for it.

soogar

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I do find it interesting that, so far, I have seen nothing about her maybe going to college. Seems to me that would be the best idea because you never know if you're going to make it in the acting business and should have a back up plan and get educated for it.

Tara is from a wealthy family and has enough of her own money where she probably doesn't need to have a backup plan.

Besides, college isn't for everyone and there are lots of successful people who did not attend college.

I somehow can see Tara opening up her own Crafts store when she gets older as she is so into needlepoint.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
soogar said:
Tara is from a wealthy family and has enough of her own money where she probably doesn't need to have a backup plan.

Besides, college isn't for everyone and there are lots of successful people who did not attend college.

I somehow can see Tara opening up her own Crafts store when she gets older as she is so into needlepoint.

I remember her saying that one of the reasons she turned pro was cos she wanted to go to college one day. I think she can do it. I mean, I'm twenty-four and a returning college student. I'm realizing my dream one unit at a time =) Maybe one day she will do the same.

Linny

Final Flight
Good suggestion

Methinks the suggestion that she go to college is much more productive than calling unnamed Hollywood females "dogs" or suggesting that implants are necessary if a lady wants to be pretty. Snort to both of those.
Linny

Tara has an OGM in her resume and bit parts in several movies. While not all that impressive to make top billing in an non-skating film, it does get her consideration for more of the bit parts.

In skating mother pushed her daughter and father paid the bills. I presume they will do the same for movies.

Let's see.

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have always thought that Tara should have gone to college when she realized that her arthritis and figure skating were incompatible.

One thing that college gives you is a different perspective on the world. Tara's world has been very narrow indeed: skating from a very young age, then right into show biz at 15.

Maybe if she went to college, even if she majored in theater, she'd come to realize that as an actress, she doesn't measure up well against other students that have real, if yet unrecognized, talent. College would certainly expand her intellectually. I don't think she ever spent much time in a classroom, and I bet she's never been a prolific reader. There's even the possibility that some literature and psychology classes, as well as interaction with people her own age who are not in show business, might improve her acting.

TNT2012

Rinkside
What is all this hoopla about a girl who just want to do what she wants to do. She might change her mind in a few years and pursue something else....or not. Heck, she might even decide going to college when she's 40. It's her life...really. :)

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Tara's future

I think Tara just wanted to have some sort of a life that had nothing to do with skating. She spent her childhood in the rink every day practicing skating, and wore out her hip in the process. But, more than that, from both the mental and physical aspects, I think she was just burned out with skating. Like Jennifer Caprioti, something happened to take her away from the sport for a while, and since she's enjoying life, she's in no hurry to go back.

But, wait until the movie critics decide that she's no longer just a guest(guests usually aren't negetivly reviewed), but someone who claims to be an actor. When the time comes that they see her as fair game, well I don't think she's going to respond well to the sort of sharp criticism they can dish out.

I'll give her another year or two to sort things out and come to her senses, while watching her celebrity fade. I think by then she'll see the need to go back to her day job, I just hope its not too late.

tripleflutz