Canned Hunts | Golden Skate

Canned Hunts

4dogknight

Final Flight
I just got this press release and thought I'd share it with the folks who are interested in the preservation and protection of animals.

"CSI" SHEDS LIGHT ON CANNED HUNTING
Hit Show’s Plot Line Focuses on Killing Animals in “Pay and Shoot” Operations

WASHINGTON (February 9, 2005) – CBS’s top-rated drama “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” may be fiction, but the scenarios depicted on the show are often based on reality. The episode scheduled to air tomorrow draws attention to an increasingly controversial practice known as canned hunting, according to The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), which provided information for the episode.

In the episode, the CSI personnel investigate the killing of a Kodiak bear, found in the woods of Lake Mead, Nevada. Evidence leads them to discover that the bear was killed during the commission of an illegal canned hunt.

In reality, canned hunting is perfectly legal in most states and The HSUS estimates that there are more than 1,000 canned hunts operations in 28 states. Texas contains more canned hunting operations than any other state.

Canned hunt operators breed deer, elk, and other big game animals, hand rear the animals, and release them into a fenced enclosure to be shot by paying clients. The defining aspects of a canned hunt are:

• The animal has does not have the opportunity to escape, which violates the concept of fair chase.
• Native and non-native species are bred specifically to stock the hunting operations.
• Clients pay a fee to kill an animal; the most common arrangement is a “no kill, no pay” policy.
• Animals are acclimated to people by feeding and other practices that make the operations more akin to a cattle ranch than a preserve for deer or other animals.

Several states have banned or restricted canned hunting, including Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, North Carolina, Oregon, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

In 2003, New York Governor George Pataki vetoed a bill that had passed both chambers of the state legislature. According to The HSUS, the small but vocal canned hunting and game farm industries in the state pressured Pataki to veto the measure.

In Indiana, the legislature is considering a bill that would exempt the state’s canned hunting operations from the state’s wildlife regulations. The representative who introduced the bill has received campaign contributions from the Indiana Deer Farmers Association.

“Governor Pataki’s veto and campaign contributions to an Indiana state representative symbolize what we’re up against in our battle to stop canned hunting,” said Heidi Prescott, HSUS senior vice president of campaigns. “We believe the ‘CSI’ episode will educate millions of viewers about this little-known but widespread practice, which is reviled even by most hunters.”

The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal protection organization with more than 8.5 million members and constituents. The HSUS is a mainstream voice for animals, with active programs in companion animals and equine protection, wildlife and habitat protection, animals in research and farm animals and sustainable agriculture. The HSUS protects all animals through legislation, litigation, investigation, education, advocacy and fieldwork. The non-profit organization is based in Washington and has field representatives across the country. On the web at hsus.org.

-30-

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Karen L. Allanach (301) 548-7778
[email protected]"

4dk

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I guess this is the closest I'll ever get to having CSI: Alaska

seriously though this stuff happens way too much... I'm all for hunting... but canned 'hunting' is NOT hunting :mad:

This makes me sick.

But then, what is fair about the "sport" of hunting anyway. The idea of sport implies that the two sides have an equal chance. Animals don't have guns. Plus, in a sport it is assumed that both sides want to play.

But then again, I guess you could say the same thing about chickens that are bred for no other purpose than to be killed and eaten. But at least they don't call it sport.

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
not all sports are considered a 2 team sport though...

my dad sport fishes... he keeps enough to eat and then has fun catching and releasing as well...

with hunting he shoots to kill so we can eat... but the Antlers/hides are always a bonus :laugh:

and technically animals DO have an advantage... so many hunters are mauled by bears... or trampled by moose

and that's assuming you are able to track and get near the animal ;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Reminds me of the movie "Bless the Beasts and the Children." It's about a buffalo kill and a group of young men who try to free the buffalo - powerful message. Also where the theme now known as "Nadia's theme" originally came from.

We had a terrible episode here in British Columbia - twenty Bald Eagles were found dead - their talons and tail feathers were taken and likely sold on the black market.

Horrific crime.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Mathman said:
This makes me sick.

But then, what is fair about the "sport" of hunting anyway. The idea of sport implies that the two sides have an equal chance. Animals don't have guns. Plus, in a sport it is assumed that both sides want to play.

But then again, I guess you could say the same thing about chickens that are bred for no other purpose than to be killed and eaten. But at least they don't call it sport.

Mathman

This is why I don't eat meat. There is enough food in the world that no animal has to die a horrible death to satisfy my need to eat.

And :rock: to the bears and moose who trample hunters. That's Darwinism in action. :)

4dogknight

Final Flight
Follow-up to the Canned Hunt show on CSI.

"Last night, America's #1 rated TV drama, CSI, exposed the
brutality of canned hunting -- the killing of fenced-in animals
who have no chance of escape, for the sole purpose of obtaining
a trophy. In the show, the opportunists who created their own
makeshift canned hunt in Nevada, where these operations are
illegal, were brought to justice.

Yet in reality, nearly 1,000 legal canned hunting operations
exist in the United States, with no end in sight. As the graphic
video above shows, canned hunts are anything but fiction; they
are a very real nightmare for animals.

But there is something that you can do now to help put an end to
this despicable practice. Access the HSUS site to see what can be done about this problem.

1. Contact your U.S. senators today and ask them to co-sponsor
the Sportsmanship in Hunting Act, which will halt the interstate
traffic of exotic animals for the purpose of killing or injuring
them for entertainment or trophy collecting.

2. Then, spread the word. The more people who know about this
issue and take action, the closer we will come to STOPPING
canned hunting.

Neither CSI nor CBS has approved or endorses this message. All views expressed herein are those of The HSUS.

Copyright (c) 2005
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
All Rights Reserved."

4dk

Last edited: