Costumes you hope never to see again | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Costumes you hope never to see again

C

cianni

Re: outfits

Irinas , the one she wears every year in different colors, the one that looks like a torn rag.

L

Lcp88

All of Irina's outfits look like torn up rags!:lol: :D
Laura
GO SHAE AND VIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

spyralz

I agree with Lcp88 on Irina's dresses. it always looks like the skirt was put through a paper shredder.

~Spyralz

P

proudskatemom

I agree Irina's costumes usually look a bit shredded. But that costume at last weeks Sears Open...the blue one with the dangles..... had Las Vegas showgirl written all over it.

L

Lcp88

So lets see, we've got Irina varying from rags to Showgirl, Plushenco in thongs to suits, and Suzuka as Bjork. What an era we live in.:D
Laura
GO SHAE AND VIC!!!!!!!

S

sk8cynic

Re: Costumes that should be burned

I know this is an old thread, but I had to add a few (please forgive me if I repeat a couple - they're too priceless to not acknowledge):

Yagudin's Gladiator Getup - What is that, a sea urchin on his shoulder? Also, the black mesh - Bleah!! :p

Viktoria's GWTW - I'm from Atlanta, and she is NO Southern Belle. I couldn't decide if I should laugh or cry - that costume looked like my great-grandmother's bedside lampshade.

Petrova & Tikhonov - There's nothing that really stands out in my Hall of Shame, but they have the most depressing costumes and music of all the pairs out there.

Lobacheva & Averbukh's SP this season - Another Fox Promo: "When Wood Nymphs Attack." She scares me. And how does her getup tie into his wedding-cake-prince-charming outfit? Did I miss a meeting?!

Irina and the fringe: Good Lord, these two costumes take the cake. I think the reason she keeps flubbing jumps is that all that beadwork added ten pounds to her *frame*. Early bordello look at best.....come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my great-grandma had a lampshade like this one, too!

Sasha's LP from Crest Whitestrips - seems to me this outfit would work better with her R&J program........it did nothing to enhance the look and the program. Burn it, please, and bring back the Skate Canada costume!!!

Oksana dressed up as the Sheik of Araby - I swear, I thought I was watching a rerun of The Great Carnak!

Irina's LP from Hallmark - looked like a slip caught in a wind tunnel. Ever seen the car commercial with the guy trying to find an untattered tie? Same situation here (and for most of the ice dancing costumes, as well).

Can't remember which team it was (either A&P or L&A) that had one of the partners dressed up like the WTC. Poor taste beyond belief.

Still working on getting caffeinated....back later!

S

sk8cynic

oops left one out.

Have to add one more:

Maxim Marinin's LP to the Cotton Club. Men that big and bulky have no business wearing asymmetrical pinstriped suits. And not just a suit, but one of the aforementioned shirts that look like a suit (didn't they make tshirts like that back in the 70's? didn't Gallagher wear one?) And those spats?!?! :eek: They're blinding white, and make his shoes look like (take your pick) 1) gigantic pengiuns, or 2) large cinder blocks. All I see when they skate are his feet. Are we sure Mishin didn't come up with this idea?

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: oops left one out.

sk8cynic-L&A had WTC. LBJ took the IRT, from "Hair" comes to mind, both from the acronyms and Ilia's stringy hair. I don't care for their costumes in general, and don't like their OP costumes for this year. The white jump suit looks like Ilia works in food service somewhere. Maybe as the Good Humor man.

Totally agree on T&M's Cotton Club outfits-ROFLMAO.

You brought back some great memories of Gallagher, who for those who don't remember him would do this great rather cerebral patter while doing the dumbest food fight type of humor, smashing watermelons with a mallet, which he dubbed his Sledgomatic. Haven't thought about Gallagher for a while and wonder if he is still alive & working.

dpp

N

nthuz

Re: max

Just a note...Max's costume may be hiddeous, but he is not huge and by no means bulky. In fact, for a pair skater, he is rather slender.

I can say this from seeing him on a weekly basis...not just skating but sitting around the rink in normal clothes.

S

sk8cynic

Case in point..........he may be slender (and you're right on that one, he doesn't look nearly as bulky in the SP getup :) ), but the pinstripes and spats do not flatter him at all.

BTW, what is up with the asymmetry in the a lot of the Russian costumes? Between Plushenko, Abt, Irina, and Klimkin, I usually get a little off balance when they take the ice.......is this supposed to create a different effect on spins? All it does is distract me from the program itself.

L

Lcp88

I really really REALLY don't like any of the programs/outfits that TT&MM have been using. Allthough the extending sleave last year tops my list of most emmbarissing things to happen to you at a World Championship. I still laugh about it.

And What is up With VV's spider-web black outfit? I mean, I like it and all, but the music she uses doesn't really go along with it.
Laura

S

sk8cynic

Re: Vika

I haven't been impressed with any of her costumes this season...too much flesh-colored fabric, way too much cleavage, and again with the gloves.....she has beautiful long arms, but for me, the mid-forearm length gloves make them look a little too long and out of proportion with the rest of her body.

As for the music.....best I can see is that she's doing her interpretation of a black widow spider luring a victim into her lair. Trouble is, there's no 'hourglass'. I personally think her costume is more akin to a giant bat that collided with that plentious rack you can't help but notice (sorry I'm on a rant here but too low-cut comes across as trampy on the ice! :rolleyes: ).

She did get rid of the mouthwash-blue toilet paper dress for her LP. When she skated at SA (was there), it looked atrocious in person. Thing is, this bergundy thing she's got on reminds me of the 'dancehall dolly' costumes from the old westerns. Either that or early New Orleans bordello. :eek:

L

Linny

VV

Vica's costumes aren't going to make the "best dressed" list, but they certainly don't belong in the "never want to see them again" category.

OK, so compare one of her outfits to the appalling idea of dressing up like the World Trade Center, than collasping in ruins at the end of the program...

In this light, Vica looks positively smashing.

Linny

S

sk8cynic

Vika/WTC

ITA Linny....I mentioned on another post that the WTC costume was in absolute poor taste....I'm surprised the other one wasn't dressed up as a plane. :rolleyes:

On Vika - she's a stunning woman......if she had the costumes to match her amazing looks, she'd be an absolute vision on the ice.

T

tharrtell

Re: Vika/WTC

I know this is a thread about worst dressed, but I've got to say I like Sasha's costumes this year. She's got a very athletic looking body, and I think her costume choices work well with her figure.

Now to the ugly:

- breast plates of any sort - Dinev and Yag's Gladiator
- any neckline on a guy that looks like a leotard - like Yag's Gladiator
- Jamie's Journey number costume - she has no waist and should wear a dress that creates the illusion of a waist. the black and red outfit she wore for this number made her look like a tank even though I'm sure she is petite and very thin.
- empire waist dresses - makes the ladies look pregnant. Kristi seems fond of this type of dress.
- everything I've seen plushy in. I'd love to seem him in solid black and be able to focus on his skating rather than any flash.

That's all for now.
tharrtell

L

Lcp88

Re: Vika/WTC

Ok, this is probably the one and only time anyone will EVER see me critisize Shae-Lynn and Victor:

The outfits from either 1999 Canadians or sometime then; they are red and white and look basicly like torn up Canadian flags. Awful

The Original "Saddness" outfits; No wonder they eventually changed, these outfits could scare little kids. Vic is in all black execpt for this spinder web things over him, and Shae is in this black/purpel WAY too revealing dress that resembles something Irina would have discarded. Thank God they Changed.

Laura

P

Princess Leppard 625

Plush in black

Evgeni's SP costume is essentially all black, with some minor gold details. He looks lovely in it. But I love the flash of the Russian skaters, it's ever so much more interesting....

Laura :)

S

sk8cynic

And Another One.......

......I don't have confirmation on this, but I'm pretty sure that Tatiana Navka's LP costume (to Passions by Peter Gabriel) is Irina's Tosca costume from SLC with a sleeve cut off. Check it out. :rollin:

L

Lcp88

Re: And Another One.......

Isn't Tatianna Navka's coustume Reddish is color and Irina's Tosca Black?
Laura