Costumes you hope never to see again | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Costumes you hope never to see again

S

sk8cynic

Tatiana's Costume

The one she had on for the FD at Skate America was black, silver, and white...., but I did not see their FD from any of the other Comps, so they might have debuted new costumes. Either that, or I need to get a new color tv!! He had on some funky Rudolf "The Sheik" Valentino type thing on......did they wear this at SLC?

L

Linny

Couldn't fit

Whatever color it is or isn't, no costume that fits Tatianna N could ever have been worn by Irina. They aren't even close to the same size.
Linny

S

sk8cynic

Irina &Tatiana

Oh, I know.......I'm just making light, but I was surprised by the similarity between the two outfits.. :)

L

Lcp88

re:Irina &Tatiana

hmmmm, maybe they have the same designer. At least Tatianna Navka's hair color doesn't match her outfit (a la Irina Lobecheva.)
Laura

S

sk8cynic

Irina & Tatiana

No doubt. Tatiana's also looks clean, which is more than I can say about Lobacheva's a lot of the time. :rolleyes:

L

Lcp88

Irina & Tatiana

Someone described Lobecheva's OD outfit perfectly:"When Wood nyphs Attack" Why is it that she feels compelled to dress like she has absolutly no fasion sense? or maybe she really doesn't.
Laura

S

sk8cynic

Wood Nymphs

That was my comment!!! :rollin:

I don't know where they come up with their costumes. They're just awful. Garbage chic was posted here. How appropriate.

:p

L

Lcp88

re:Wood Nymphs

LOL!:lol: And don't they live in the U.S? You would think they could find someone with a sense of what colors blend together.
Laura

S

sk8cynic

Re: re:Wood Nymphs

It baffles me......only thing I can think is that they want to play to the European judges.....from what I've seen of the Russian dance teams, they're all pretty atrocious. And what is that thing Tatiana has woven into her hair?! :rolleyes:

L

Lcp88

re:Wood Nymphs

no idea. String? Rope? Sigh. Why can't the Euro judges try and change their ways? The spectators really don't want to see ragged clothes/hair and shredded outfits. At least the people in this thred don't.
LAura

L

Lady Lutz

Re: Costumes you hope never to see again

Ilia Kulik's 1998 Olympic Giraffe Costume

Shimizu Arakawa's Ugly White Swan Lake dress that she's wearing this season

Maria Butryskaya's 1996 dress--it was an aqua green with thick gold braid going around the breasts. It reminded me of something Madonna would wear during her Blonde Ambition days.

Sasha Cohen's 2002 LP dress--that was soooo ugly

Sarah Hughes's burgundy LP dress she worn at this year's Nationals. The sleeve length and design was very unbecoming

Olga Markova's Metallic silver dress

D

DaGurl

Re: Costumes you hope never to see again

Well, those ultra-conservative and always so stylish american skaters have also used terrible costumes you never wish to see again :evil:
for example:

Nancy Kerrigan´s 1994 SP and LP outfits, I don´t care if Vera
Wang did those, they just don´t look good on Nancy
every outfit Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler ever used, YUCK
Tai Babilonia´s 1979 shining ultra-short costume
Underhill and Martini´s 1984 Worlds purple outfits
Brian Boitano´s 1994 Olympics costume
Christopher Bowman´s I can´t get no satisfaction exhibition costume
every single costume Elvis Stojko has ever worn, except his 1994 Dragon-costume
Marie-France Dubreuil´s Madame Butterfly FD-dress
Michelle Kwan´s 2003 Nationals LP dress and that hideous neon yellow dress
Jill Trenary´s dresses
Tonya Harding´s 1991 Worlds LP dress + those horrible dresses she wore at Lillehammer-she looked like fried chicken, those dresses were a way too tight
Elisabeth Manley´s 1998 Olympics LP dress
Tara´s Olympics 1998 dresses
Sasha Cohen´s Olympics 2002 SP and LP costumes, 2003 Nationals SP and LP dresses
Naomi Lang´s and Peter Tscherneychev´s 2002 Olympics OD costumes, 2003 Nationals OD and FD costumes
Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz´s 2002 Olympics OD costumes and FD costumes, 2001 Worlds FD costumes

and many more...

D

DaGurl

Re: Vika/WTC

How obsessed can americans be with the whole WTC-attack.
Irina and Ilya´s FD was called Time for Peace and those costumes fitted the theme perfectly. Of course you can´t use terrorist attack / war as your theme in figure skating unless you are from America. Belbin / Agosto could skate their Sarajevo-themed FD in peace (nobody grumbled) and of course Sarah Hughes could *benefit* from the terrorist attack and used the incident in her exhibition, but hey! Nobody complained.

D

DaGurl

Re: max

Lcp88,you think *costume-incidents* are funny? What´s actually so funny about Totmianina & Marinin´s extending sleeve-accident? I felt very sorry for them, and they must have felt really embarrased. Perhaps you just had a good laugh because they are from Russia. How about north-americans and their troubles with their costumes. Melissa Gregory and her scattering dress at US Nationals, Marie-france Dubreuil and SLC Oympics when they had to start over again. And who can forget Shae-Lynn´s dress, which showed her nipple. But of course you would feel sorry for them, because they are north-americans...

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: max

DaGurl,
Actually, everyone here had a giggle at ShaeLynn's expense with her slippery sliding dress. And earlier in the thread, Tonya has taken heavy hits for everything she ever wore. This is a joke thread, and gives people a chance to be funny and vent a little.

Usually North Americans get more jabs for costuming here than non, because we get to see all their costumes, not just those at major events. For examples, refer to Fetal Attraction's joking thread about an interview with Sasha's fashion designer, a Miss Holly Would. There is also an entire thread devoted to Sasha's Nat's 2003 LP dress, which came in for a lot of criticism. In the Exhibitions thread under US Nationals, you will find Scott and Dulebohn catching it for the tasteless Pink Panther routine and costume. No one had anything good to say about Michelle's yellow outfit, and Fetal said that her LP looked like she had spilled oatmeal down her front (but he didn't care, because the skate was marvelous) So when it comes to costuming, we are equal opportunity goofers here.

So welcome to the thread and to Golden Skate.

But are you sure it was Brian Boitano's 88 LP costume that you didn't like? It was Brian Orser who had the red bellhop costume.

On the WTC, that's a tough question. You need to know that Sarah Hughes lived where she could see the WTC every day until it fell, and a large number of people from her community died, probably including people she actually knew. So for her to do an encore exhibition number that included laying a floral display on the graves of those people was wholly appropriate. And the way she did it was wonderful, but the people here in the media only broadcast this exhibition in the middle of the night (at least during the Olympics), and I wonder how many people here have actually seen it. It was not featured, possibly because the media wondered about its tastefulness.

Personally, I didn't think Belbin and Agosto's Sarajevo program was appropriate, although I have never before posted to criticize it here, and I always thought of it in my mind as the skating nebbish program. I felt they didn't have the emotional depth in that program to portray the right tone for so tragic a situation.

And as to L&A, no I don't think their WTC program worked, and done in Salt Lake, with the tragedies so raw in people's mind (only 5 months after), and the horrible images so clear, and what they recreated was people in rags running from the towers and the towers themselves coming down in their final pose, I felt it was in the worst of bad taste. To put this on neutral territory, it would be like Americans going to Tokyo and dancing to "On the Eve of Destruction", using costumes with mushroom shaped clouds on their fronts and recreating the Hiroshima atomic bomb explosion. And then announcing the name of the program is Time for Peace (which it was, because Japan was defeated. ) Just not done. It is not that the WTC is a forbidden subject to non Americans. There is just a way to do it and a way not to do it. And even more important, a time and place to do it. No one complains that Vica dances to Gone With the Wind, which is another American tragedy, the Civil War. It is long ago enough that no one minds although they kvetch that her costume is not in period is some way. The program is perfectly appropriate.

But this is an opinion thread, and please come early and often and post. We need people to stir up discussion!

Welcome,

dpp