AI Judges - Thoughts.... | Golden Skate

AI Judges - Thoughts....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
We are always discussing skating judges and judging period here at golden skate, so thought I would ask what are people's thoughts on the American Idol judges and some of their choices?

For what it is worth here is my two cents worth:

Simon - He does not "pull any punches" when he does not like someone's performance. At least he is not afraid to turn some of the bad talent away.

Paula - Can't stand her. I think she is "stuck on herself." I also can't believe some of the "so called talent" she passes.

Randy - The least obnoxious of the judges pannel. He is a little more "low key" than Simon or Paula.

I can't believe some of the contestants they gave a pass to tonight. The group that completely did not know the lyrics to their song were awful as was "Cleveland boy" (don't know his name) scary looking dude. The guy with the teddy bear - did not make it - was nice, but I don't get why the Cleveland guy is still in there. He is wierd.

I still have not noticed anyone special in the group.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am guessing here, Lad, but it's not just a great voice. I think they are trying to decide what kind of "popular" appeal they will have with the voting audience. But I guess the voters can be manipulated in that respect, how else can a Ruben be chosen over a Clay or Kimberly........and how could a Fantasia be chosen over a Jennifer beats the heck out of me........42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jennifer Hudson annoyed me (as did Fantasia) and she just wasn't as personable... Latoya was more of a bad mistake than Jennifer, IMHO. And I still want to know where Elton John is for Jennifer. He's the one screaming racism, but he never signed her to a record deal so......... :sheesh:

anyway... Lad, this is the first year you're really sitting down to watch AI, right? Because by the end of the season you will find Randy to be annoying. TRUST me... he's been very low key so far, but when he starts doing the wanna be "cool guy on the street" talk he gets annoying. 'Dude, dawg, I was feelin' ya, that was tight, dude, ya know what I'm saying." :sheesh:

Simon is the only decent judge. I loved how he reams the kids saying 'look my company is paying good money for this so you wasting our time pisses me off'

Paula can just go away. She is so high maitenance, and is so overly dramatic that it makes ya sick :sheesh:

Last edited:

Tereza

Match Penalty
Simon: :love: He is eye candy, and he is honest and tells it like it is. Sometimes his cooments make me laugh.

Paula: She is really nice, and I like the chemistry between her ans Simon.

Randy: He is the least annoying of the three, I agree with ladskater that he is the most "low key" of the judges.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Interesting thread...

As Judges in the purist sense of that word, they all drive me nuts in some way. BUT... It's important to remember this is not a competition in the sense that National or World figure skating events are competitions. It's a TV show, where EVERYONE including the judges are performers. In fact, the judges are the MAIN performers in this show - not the contestants. Even the winning contestants are only presented VERY briefly compared to the judge performers.

So...I don't think any comparisons can be drawn with FS. Now that I think about it, it's almost funny. If Speedy could not only "not publish" the identities and home countries of the judges and take it a step further hiding them in a closet, he would do that. The judges being "center stage" in AI couldn't be more opposite!!

Mean time, I'm enjoying watching the show. The whole trio thing (maybe they've done that before, but this is the first time I've watched it) was SO interesting to see the competitors having to work together in that way. I'm sure the group dynamics said a LOT about the individual competitors.

That last boy trio that couldn't remember any lyrics puzzled me to. BUT...that was probably like CoP where they missed a bunch of jumps, but did other things "right" in their choice of music and group dynamic..... But who knows. :)

DG

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
That last boy trio that couldn't remember any lyrics puzzled me to. BUT...that was probably like CoP where they missed a bunch of jumps, but did other things "right" in their choice of music and group dynamic..... But who knows.

Hey Doggy, do you mean that they were "held up"...... :rofl: 42

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Lol...

Yep. I guess I think they were "held up." So that means some other trio, by default "wuzrobbed." Which one???????

:rofl:

I think Blue Hair Opera Singer picked the wrong song. I really liked her for some strange reason, maybe just because she's so different. She deserved to get the boot based on her performance, but I think she could have rocked the house with a different song. It would have been fun just to have her a part of things further down the line.

DG

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Simon is a middle aged, egotistical male. He tells it like it is to some contestants but not to all. He will put through the young, pretty little girls whether they are good or not. He definitely doesn't care for the younger men especially if they are good looking & can sing.
Paula is an airhead. Replace her with Gladys Knight. (Who was great as a judge on Jr. Idol).
Randy is ok if you can get past the fact that he has an extremely limited vocabulary.
The last group of guys that were put through even though they all forgot the words got through, I think, because they took a chance by trying to learn a song that dates back to WW 2. Now I don't know if it has recently been resurrected & made the Top 40 hits but I'm sure someone will tell me. If not, it was a huge risk on their part. Another reason could be because they were so late to perform. The judges were tired & had room to put through a few more people.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I agree about the group of three guys. They took a risk.

Not only that but they DID work hard. and I would bet anything the judges get to watch footage of them if they so desire...

Not only that but they blue the judges away in all other portions of the comp... they get one chance and then they better pray they remember the words from here on out.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
For Canadian Idol we have our three obnoxious Judges as well. We have a Simon wannabe in Zack Werner (can be really sarcastic); Sass Jordon (not quite as obnoxious as Paula, but can be annoying); and Farley Flex (similar to Randy - low key, but almost too nice at times) and finally Jake Gold - really, really too Mr. Nice guy sometimes.

I agree the judges are part of the "shtick" and add to the entertainment value - as they are always talking about. It's all a gimmick. In fact, I new Kalan Porter was destined to be the Canadian Idol from the start. The others could have packed up and headed home before the final showdown. It was obvious. Even when Kalan "blew" a song - he was spared the infamous "exit stage left" the others received. He was the "darling" of the judges. Kalan had "the look" of a pop star. I think that is half the strategy. Some of these people on American Idol may have some singing ability, but without "the look" they are not going to make it. I think the Rock guys probably know that end of things. The one guy in particular is pretty good.

Will be interesting to watch the rest of the show. I will keep you informed of Canadian Idol news.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
That last trio got a major gift, and, no, they did not deserve to be put through. They told us on a number of occasions that instead of working that night on their song, they went to bed, and figured they'd work it out the following day. Hello?! Everyone else was hard at work, and they thought they were so talented that they could throw it together the next day? Puh-lease. I hope they all get tossed out in the next round. :p

Talk about hypocrisy. Paula blasts Elizabeth Pha (fishnet girl) for forgetting words but smiles all sweetly at these idiot guys? What's up with THAT?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
were they the threesome? I thought that was a different group of three...

As for Elizabeth... this was not the first time she flubbed the words... she's flubbed them in ever single round... and her excuse was "but I'm pretty, and I sing great, so let me through" :sheesh: STUCK UP

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
For Canadian Idol we have our three obnoxious Judges as well. We have a Simon wannabe in Zack Werner (can be really sarcastic); Sass Jordon (not quite as obnoxious as Paula, but can be annoying); and Farley Flex (similar to Randy - low key, but almost too nice at times) and finally Jake Gold - really, really too Mr. Nice guy sometimes.

So that's what happened to Sass Jordan! I didn't even know she was Canadian! I used to have her first album and LOVED it.

As for the AI judges -- I really think that Simon and Paula have a major attraction for one another and both of them are too mortified by the prospect to even face it.... :laugh: :laugh: