Kimmie Meissner on theToday Show | Golden Skate

Kimmie Meissner on theToday Show

millie

Medalist
Kimmie Meissner was on the Today Show at Rockefeller Center for the Count down toTerino, Italy. Katie gave her a I Love NewYork charm. Kimmie showed Katie the basics of figure skating. Kimmie said her grandmother(in her 80's) still figure skates.She said that she was looking forward to the Olympics. She seems to be a lovely girl.Good luck Kimmie. Michelle was scheduled to appear but she wasn't on the show.

mzheng

Record Breaker
It was the real time show, right?
When I read the news posted at MKF, I doubt. Yesterday was chinese new year, Michelle might spend sometime with her family and friends doubt she will fly over to east coast again. Good for her, stay at base to trainning for the worlds.

Fossi

Final Flight
I think Kimmie might be National Champion next year. She is a great role model for skaters like Sasha Cohen. She has shown the girls that sometimes you just have to go for it if it feels right. She has upped the ante and didn't have all the hype Sasha did surrounding her at her Nationals debut. Good for Kimmie!

Fossi said:
I think Kimmie might be National Champion next year. She is a great role model for skaters like Sasha Cohen. She has shown the girls that sometimes you just have to go for it if it feels right. She has upped the ante and didn't have all the hype Sasha did surrounding her at her Nationals debut. Good for Kimmie!
Kwan can set a new record next year. Sasha can prevent that. Kimmie will have to wait for the Olys. :)

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I find it rather hilarious that they're talking about her as if she's a shoe-in for the Olympics. I think she is a talented kid, and have no doubt she's the real thing ... but one 3A landed does not a champion make.

But to be honest, I hope they hype her from here to the moon in the next year. Frankly, I would love to go into 2006 with someone else carrying all the expectations. And make no mistake about it ... if the USFSA and NBC promote her the way it appears they intend to ... she will NOT be that little girl with nothing to lose come next February.

Fine with me. :)

Crizzy

Rinkside
I just laughed my arse off with all the hype. Kimmie has potential and I see her as having a staying power over the next couple of years. But common, let's have a reality check here. Before she can win the gold in Turino, Kimmie would have to hurdle over these senior ladies. and the same goes for other senior ladies.

Irina S.

Michelle K.

Shizuka A.

Sasha C.

Joannie R.

Miki A.

Caroline K.

Susanna P.

Julia S.

not too mention that I have a feeling that the Japanese Federation would see to it that Mao Asada joins these ladies at Turino. Kimmie's main rival at Junior worlds and the future. That girl is so light years away that it gives me chills.

IDLERACER

Medalist
People are always talking about Sarah Hughes & Reba Mckintyre and Elena Sokolova & Hayley Mills...I just noticed something. Kimmie Meissner bears an absolutely uncanny resemblence to Jennifer Love Hewitt when she was that age (at least from the neck up).

Margaux

Spectator
Fossi said:
I think Kimmie might be National Champion next year. She is a great role model for skaters like Sasha Cohen.

Kimmie is doing very well and has lots of potential. However, I doubt Sasha Cohen is looking to Kimmie as Sasha's role model.

sk8pics

Rinkside
Red Dog said:
Umm...assuming she'll make it there?

Kimmie herself said, "Hopefully!" or something like that during her Today appearance when Katie said something like, "see you in Torino," which to me indicated she has a better grip on reality than some of the media.

millie

Medalist
nymkfan51 said:
I find it rather hilarious that they're talking about her as if she's a shoe-in for the Olympics. I think she is a talented kid, and have no doubt she's the real thing ... but one 3A landed does not a champion make.

But to be honest, I hope they hype her from here to the moon in the next year. Frankly, I would love to go into 2006 with someone else carrying all the expectations. And make no mistake about it ... if the USFSA and NBC promote her the way it appears they intend to ... she will NOT be that little girl with nothing to lose come next February.

Fine with me. :)

History may repeat itself with the Olympics! Look at the past Olympics, Skaters won the gold that weren't expected to win--Oksand Baiul, Tara, Sarah--Kimmie will probably do the same in the next Olympics. The same things were said about the past three champions, they have nothing to lose or prove and they go out and skate the skate of their lifetime andthey always win the Gold. The same thing will happen to Kimmie.

swannanoa54

On the Ice
Yep, she did a 3A. Yep, let me see her do it in competition again. Yep, let me see her win Nationals with the skating she did at this past Nationals under COP. Sorry, don't get it. I think she has a lot more work to do. She can jump all over the place (just like Kwan when she was younger), but, darn it all, there's more to skating than some 3A. :rofl:

I don't get the hype. And I don't think she will win the gold in Italy. I think there are too many better overall skaters ahead of her. And this time, I certainly hope it isn't a teenager that wins but an older, more experienced woman, ie Irina, Sasha, Michelle, Shizuka. All I know is COP is different ballgame for the Olys.

lavender

Record Breaker
After Tara and Sarah split after winning I don't think the federation USFSA or ISU wants another kid winning. This didn't exactly help figure skating. COP is here to prevent a once in a lifetime teenager winning a competition like the Olympics. A skater like Kimmie would get decent tech marks but she would be blown away on the other marks. Look at how Irina (Europeans) came in 9th on tech but still won the long program on the other marks. There are too many better overall skaters internationally for this to happen but Katie doesn't know what's going on.

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
lavender said:
Look at how Irina came in 9th on tech but still won the long program on the other marks.

You mean the long program at Europeans? 9th on jump scores, but 3rd on Technical Element Scores, on the strength of her spins, steps, and spirals. (And, of course, 1st on components, which is where the dispute mainly lies)

BTW, Mao Asada will still be too young for ISU championships and Olympics next season. Don't look for her at Worlds before 2007.

Hikaru

Final Flight
gkelly said:
BTW, Mao Asada will still be too young for ISU championships and Olympics next season. Don't look for her at Worlds before 2007.

That's what I wanted to know, I'm confused. I read somewhere that if girl wins junior worlds she can go to senior worlds, but she would still need to have the age to go, regardless of a victory at juniors, is that right? Because Mao-chan is very young, isn't she? I've heard a lot about her but I haven't had the chance to see he skate. Is there a video of her on the internet?

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
The perception of FS judging is REALLY bad...

lavender said:
COP is here to prevent a teenager winning a competition like the Olympics based on one night. .

The perception (and some reality) of collusion and corruption in the judging is REALLY over the top if this is the type of speculation going on about why the CoP was implemented......

DG

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
millie said:
History may repeat itself with the Olympics! Look at the past Olympics, Skaters won the gold that weren't expected to win--Oksand Baiul, Tara, Sarah--Kimmie will probably do the same in the next Olympics. The same things were said about the past three champions, they have nothing to lose or prove and they go out and skate the skate of their lifetime andthey always win the Gold. The same thing will happen to Kimmie.

Oksana Baiul won two Europeans silver medals and the 1993 World Championship before she won Olympic gold.

Tara finished 13th at 1996 Worlds, won two Grand Prix Final titles, and won the 1997 World Championship before she won Olympic gold.

Sarah skated in three World Championships: 1999, 2000 and 2001, and won a World bronze medal and two bronze medals in the GPF before she won Olympic gold.

The bottom line is that every Ladies OGM winner had appeared on the World podium at least once before winning Olympic gold.

Kimmie will be skating in the JGP again next fall, so if she makes the Olympic team, the Torino Olympics will be her very first Senior international event. Top ISU judges will be seeing her for the first time, so even if she performs very well, it is highly unlikely that she will even make the podium.

Kimmie's lack of Senior international experience will also make US judges hesitant to make her the 2006 US Champion. They will want to send a US champion who has a real chance to win Olympic gold, and that means Kwan or Cohen.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Linny said:
Perhaps Kimmie is thinking 2010? She'll be 21... right?
Meissner turns 16 in October, so she would be 20 in 2010. But I imagine she is going to give it her all in 2005-06. 2010 is far away at this point.

chuckm said:
Kimmie will be skating in the JGP again next fall, so if she makes the Olympic team, the Torino Olympics will be her very first Senior international event.
I'm assuming that Meissner will very likely be on the Sr. Grand Prix this fall, especially if she can medal at Junior Worlds again and continues to move up the ISU World rankings. She's at #22 right now and the top 36 after Worlds are eligible to be selected.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hikaru said:
That's what I wanted to know, I'm confused. I read somewhere that if girl wins junior worlds she can go to senior worlds, but she would still need to have the age to go, regardless of a victory at juniors, is that right? Because Mao-chan is very young, isn't she? I've heard a lot about her but I haven't had the chance to see he skate. Is there a video of her on the internet?

The rule that allowed underage ladies to skate at Worlds by medaling at Junior Worlds expired in 2000. Sasha Cohen, who won US silver in 2000, was the last skater who could have qualified for Worlds under that rule, but she finished 6th at Junior Worlds 2000 and could not go to Senior Worlds that year.

Mao Asada turned 14 in September 2004; this season was the first she was even eligible to skate in the Junior Grand Prix. .Mao will not be eligible for Senior internationals until the 2006-2007 season.