Most Memorable Skating Moments Ever | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most Memorable Skating Moments Ever

L

lilicedancer

Re: Most memorable moments

The ending pose of Sarah's Olympic LP, she looked like she was gonna burst! Robin screaming "I love you!" at her from the boards, and then the look on Sarah's face when she saw the marks. Really the whole program, she skated it with such joy.

G

GBMalwayz

I have to agree AY with Sex Bomb. For a World's Goldwinner exhibition peice that was way over the top. The funny part was watching Michelle and the other skater roll their eyes or laugh, just look embarrased! The muscle part of the costume was funny, but why why why the gold lame bikini? Was THAT Mishin's idea?

Princess Leppard like knows!;)

And Mathman, no one can ever say your not a 'one woman kinda guy' ;)

T

Truth Hurts2

i didn't think it was over the top at all. thought it was funny as hell and very unexpected from him of all the skaters... priceless and unforgettable. people still talk about 'sex bomb' whether it made a good impression on them or not. i believe he was playing a part that's really not in his nature yet he gave it a try and suceeded in pulling it off quite convincingly.

P

Princess Leppard 625

<span style="color:fuchsia;font-family:verdana;font-size:small;">Gotta go with TruthHurts, here. People, Sex Bomb was supposed to be <strong>FUNNY</strong>. You aren't supposed to take it seriously, for God's sake. It's a parody of a male stripper. Do I really have to explain this?

And the first time I saw it, I thought it was sexy, funny and so completely unexpected. That's what Mishin was thinking...

cheers,

Laura :) </span>

A

Aloft02

Maybe he should've retired it before the 'woohoo' factor wore off, but I thought it was hilarious the first time I saw it!

J

JillLaQ

My top 10 moments, in no particular order are:

10. Rudy Galindo winning Nationals in 96
9. Nicole Bobeck winning Nationals in 95
8. Oksana Baiul winning the Worlds in 93
7 Surya Bonaly's tantrum at Worlds 92 when she lost to a deserving Yuka Sato.
6. Torville & Dean's Bolero at the Olympics in 84
5. Michelle Kwan winning her first Worlds in 96
4. Klimova & Ponomarenko's stunning freedance at the Olympics in 92, and the kiss they shared at the end just about melted the ice!
3. Gordeeva & Grinkov's Olympic win in 88
2. Gordeeva & Grinkov's short program at the Olympics in 94
1. Midori Ito crashing into the boards at Worlds 90 (or was it (91?)

Honorable mentions: Paul Wylie winning silver in 92, Chen Lu winning bronze in 98, and Kazakova & Dmitriev's first worlds. Oksana self distructed, but Artur was so cool about it. He just laughed and gave her a hug. What a guy!

And for the Hall of Shame Awards, the judging at the 2003 World Dance competition, and Sandra Bezic & Scott Hamilton for their obviously biased commentating at the Olympics.

Also, you can add me to the list of posters who thought "Sex Bomb" was a hoot! I mean it can't be Candeloro every time, right?

S

sloopie

I may be inventing a memory here... someone please correct me if so.

I seem to recall Isabell Brasseur skating with broken ribs at the same Tonya-Nancy Olympics... somehow it made an impression on me because there was so much fuss made about Nancy's knee, and the collision of Oksana and the other Tania, and here was someone doing lifts and throws with broken ribs.

I also loved Elvis skating with his injury... forget what year - not just skating with an injury, but keeping it "secret" (or at least unpublicized) until he finished his program.

And Todd dislocating his shoulder in the warmup, coming back to ? win?

And of course Janet Lynn's sit-down spin - or more specifically, the way she just picked up and went on.

G

Grgranny

You're so right about the broken ribs.
I think the year Elvis was injured must have been 98. I'm not sure.

G

GBMalwayz

Well, i agree Princess that Sex bomb was a memorable number. That's the point, it was supposed to be funny, but even corny Candelero couldn't really pull that off. My take is that plush fans just loved seeing him in tights and liked seeing the gold wrapped package! Funny my toukas!

Just voyeurs you plushenknics!;)

H

heyang

Sex Bomb had me laughing the 1st time I saw it. Just had to show it to then-boyfriend, too.

I'm enjoying this thread because it's prompted memories. I too recall Isabelle skating with cracked ribs. At the end of their LP, Loylld made a point of presenting her for additional applause by not bowing and clapping himself.

To add to the memorable moments list, there's Surya's doing a backflip at Oly's right in front of the judges.

B

Bleuchick

Re: Most Memorable Skating Moments Ever

Canadian Nationals - 2000(pairs) - 'nuff said.
Canadian Nationals - 2002(exhibitions) - a crown jewel.
Worlds 2001 - all disciplines were amazing and the exhibition.
Worlds 1984 - U&M(pairs). I became a fan of pair skating. Before that I used to watch only the singles. Since then, it is all pairs. Also T&D(dance) made me a fan of dance.
SLC 2002 - Feb 15 or 16. Seeing S&P get their gold medal. Finally.

N

nthuz

Re: Most Memorable Skating Moments Ever

Most memorable, but also saddest:
Watching Tai and Randy warm up at Olympics and watching them leave the ice.

C

CoCoNuTsiopatHic

most memorable

Not in any order, just ones that stand out in my mind:

Maria Butyrskaya's 99 World Title
Tania Szeweczenko at the 98 Skate Intl. Finals
The entire ladies competition in Lillehamar '94--how can you forget that soap opera?
Dance comp. at 99 Pro Worlds where Grishuk/Platov and Usova/Zhulin switched partners
Tonia Kwiatkowski's 98 Worlds FS
Katarina Witt's performances in the 1994 Olympics
The pairs scandal in SLC
Scott Hamilton's "Cuban Pete" at the 96 Ice Wars

Many others too.

Craig

P

Princess Leppard 625

Re: most memorable

<span style="color:purple;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">I am happy to be Plush voyeur, ha ha. ;)

I had to add another memorable moment, though I can't remember if it was Worlds or the Olympics, but I'm sure someone here will know. When Lu Chen finished her skate, she was down on her knees, pounding on the ice. There was so much emotion there, it was much more powerful to me than Tara's jumping all over the ice, because Lu had overcome so much. And then when she put her hand over her heart when the American National Anthem played...wow.

Laura :) </span>

I

icenut84

Laura - that Lu Chen thing was at the 98 Olympics.

Another moment that is certainly memorable, although not for a good reason, is Wotzel and Steuer at the 94 Olympics, Mandy Wotzel's horrible crash in the LP and Ingo Steuer having to carry her off the ice. One of the worst falls I've ever seen.

L

Lcp88

Didn't Mandy fall on top on Igor at the 1998 olympics and he got a bloody nose> I seem to recall this, where in an interview after the compotition he said he accually blacked out for a second, then hurried to catch up with the music and program. I think it must have been the SP. If this is false, why do I seem to remember it so clearly???:D :lol:
Laura

H

heyang

Hey, Laura.

I think Mandy did clock Ingo in the nose once, but I don't think it was at Oly's. They were very accident prone if I recall correctly.

J

Joesitz

But they were exciting - very exciting. They were not like the other psuedo ballet pas de deux. Skating does not have to be rooted in 19th century ballet. All it needs is the line.

Joe