4 new Irina photos... | Page 3 | Golden Skate

4 new Irina photos...

Justafan

On the Ice
Well she was hospitalized for a while and her mom is sick so maybe she needs the money for medical bills. I have no idea if they still have socialized medicine there or not.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Yes, I'm sure that this is exactly what Slutskaya or any other top skater would do if they needed money: photoshoots for a magazine LOL As if this pays anyone's bills. This is not Playboy who pays millions for a cover.

Some people...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
My opinion.
I'm sure that she is paying a lot for her mother's care. I don't remember at all what I had read but I'm pretty sure she was paying all her mother's hospital and Dr. bills and if you hadn't seen what kind of money it costs for something like that, it is tremendous. Her bills are also very large. Wasn't she hospitalized for a long time? I have no idea what there is for insurance over there or if they have any. But I am really thinking that is what the problem is.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Health care in Russia is not free. Irina's mother is on dialysis several times a week, and recently had a failed kidney transplant. Irina needs the money to get a second transplant for her mother, never mind the expense of her own medical care.

Irina was out of "work" for a year, and no money was coming in. I can recall reading a translation of an interview in a Russian publication where Irina said that if friends hadn't helped out, she wouldn't have known what to do.

Also, the Russian Federation takes a pretty big chunk of monies earned by skaters in GP and other ISU-sanctioned events, so that $50,000 paycheck may not have been $50K net to Irina.

And I think it is true that Irina doesn't earn nearly as much skating in COI as Kwan and Cohen do.

Because of her own health problems, Irina doesn't even know how much longer she will be able to skate, so she needs to earn as much as she can while she can. If she made a pile of $$$ posing for those pictures, more power to her! They are beautiful pictures and they do not take away in any way from her personal dignity.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I just have trouble in understand why people have the need to justify with money everything others do. If she got paid, fine, but I think it's a little over the top to speculate that the sole reason these photos came out was because she's "desperate" for money and she was paid tons. Gee, it's a photoshoot. It's done all the time, skaters do this all the time. Because of exposure, because the fans like it and buy this stuff, because the skaters themselves have fun doing it... You think Cohen's photos in her website were done because she needed money? Kwan's pictures for that fitness magazine a few months ago were done for money too? Maybe Johnny Weir posed for those shirtless pictures because he desperately needed money.

As it was explained, readers of this magazine voted Slutskaya as the sexiest woman. I think it's only natural that an article, interview or photoshoot on the winner follows, don't you agree? I think it's amazing how people read so much into something as simple.

ETA: I just realized it had not been posted here why the photoshoot took place... According to someone at another board (where I believe the article is translated), she won a sexiest woman in sports poll. I think sexy pictures go quite well with the theme of the poll LOL

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I read somewhere that Irina chose to do this photoshoot as a "gift to herself" on her 26th birthday -- a sort of "I'm not as old as everyone makes me out to be -- and I'll prove it"

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sure Irina was paid to do these pictures. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I am sure that Kwan, Cohen and all the other skaters who pose for pictures are also paid, although they don't need the money as much as Irina does.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
chuckm said:
I am sure Irina was paid to do these pictures. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Neither do I. But I find :sheesh: that people assume that only because she and her family have health problems, a photoshoot is done solely by the purpose of getting money. It's implying that if she didn't need money, she wouldn't take the pictures. And I doubt that would be tha case because as it has been proved over and over, "being desperate for money" isn't the main reason why skaters do photoshoots.

And frankly, I find all this victimization of Slutskaya and the "poor, poor girl" attitude very :sheesh: as well.

Last edited:

Nune621

Spectator
really nice pics of irina. she looks so beautiful... whow !!!
very interesting women - and the pics aren*t too sexy. thats good!

as to navka: this is a typical style to her !
i think its nearly the same style as the uses for her
figure skating clothes (ok, she wears a bit more...)
but in general her attitude seems to be "sex sells" and
thats why i don't like navka/kostomarov at all.
they're investing a lot more in show element and sexy things
in all the figure skating events ... but tooo much in my eyes.

Hi, Nune. (I was waiting for a chance to say that, LOL -- now if GS member "Thing1" would just post!) Welcome to the forum!

Mathman:)

R.D.

Record Breaker
RIskatingfan said:
And frankly, I find all this victimization of Slutskaya and the "poor, poor girl" attitude very :sheesh: as well.

You know what, I actually agree. And some people just love posing for pictures, and there's nothing wrong with that (even though I'm far from even being close to that type). And the photos aren't even half bad. There are far worse ones out there.

emeraldeyes

Spectator
Thanks, Mathman! It's good to be here.

While we're on this topic, didn't Pasha Grishuk (or whatever she goes by these days) do a spread in one of those "men's" magazines?

wvgal57

On the Ice
Looks like a "Million Dollar Baby" ;) She looks great! The men who voted her sexiest athlete were right.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
More hot Irina photos...

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would bump this one back to the top with some more photos I found. And these are higher-quality as well (albeit watermarked).

http://pingvins.ru/rubriki/gdream/03(27)/

Click on the "Photo" link below the picture at the top of the article. Those are some :eek: pics...

Crizzy

Rinkside
Those pictures of Irina are HOT! I don't care if she did it for publicity, for money or because she simply wanted to. She's a grown married woman and a beautiful one at that. And if Irina did receive some cash for those pictures, I say GOOD for her. Shoot if I had a body like Irina's and Michelle's I'll be standing in the frozen isle of the food section with all the freezer doors open and wearing nothing but a negligee. :rock:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do my eyes deceive me, or does Irina have a piercing in her navel? Look at the next-to-last picture.

southwest wind

Rinkside
Irina looks like Col. Sara "Mac" MacKenzie

In these pictures and thoseat the top of the thread, Irina looks like Catherine Bell, AKA Col. Sara "MAC" MacKenzie on the TV show JAG.
sww