USFS - Looking to the Future | Golden Skate

USFS - Looking to the Future

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
U.S. Figure Skating Acting President Provides Update to Membership and Delegates to last year's Governing Council

Looking to the Future​

Due to the changes of the past weeks and the sudden resignation of former President Chuck Foster, I felt it was important to write a letter to the membership expressing the current status of the organization.

U.S. Figure Skating is operating in a professional manner and looking toward the future with a positive attitude in order to reach our overarching goals: medals, money and membership.

To that end, our Strategic Planning Committee, working with our Finance Committee, has worked on the strategic business plan. The 2005-2006 strategic direction is currently posted on the U.S. Figure Skating web site (www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?cat=7&id=2089), and in May the Board of Directors will receive an overview of the quadrennial plan for 2006-2010. These plans are the culmination of work that started more than five years ago.

With regard to our financial planning, we have transferred more than $10 million to the U.S. Figure Skating Foundation over the past five years to provide income and resources for the organization in the future. We are also trimming our budget by $1.5 million over the next two years so that we may properly plan for our probable income from existing sources.

We have also just begun to look at other revenue enhancement possibilities, and staff personnel, including new hires, are assisting in this effort. We continue to look at ways to decrease expenses and to trim our governance structure to make it more flexible, manageable, responsive and cost-effective.

We remain, as always, committed to our athletes. This past year we have given more funding than ever to U.S. figure skaters and U.S. Figure Skating programs, from member clubs to international competitors. We stand behind our 171,000 members and the wonderful programs that create the backbone of our organization: Basic Skills, collegiate, synchronized, adult and other developing programs.

These actions clearly show that we have been neither unconcerned nor inattentive in making plans for our future, about the management of our resources, and the success of our athletes.

I believe that the dedication of our volunteers and members, such as all of you, is unmatched by any other NGB. That is just one of the reasons that I remain optimistic about the future of U.S. Figure Skating. I hope that you share my optimism and will continue to work to make that optimism a reality for U.S. Figure Skating.

Sincerely,

Ron Hershberger 1st Vice President, U.S. Figure Skating