The Edges: Spiral Photos | Golden Skate

The Edges: Spiral Photos

R

rgirl181

The Edges: Spiral Photos

Since Icenut put up that great photo of Irina's edge on her spiral, I was wondering what other skaters looked like from that same angle. So far I've only found Sasha and another Irina pic. Interesting comparison. I think Sasha's got a darn deep edge going there, especially considering the height of the free leg. Looks about as deep as Irina's in this photo, but hard to tell from just one shot. Would love to see photos of all the top ladies from this angle, so if anybody finds any please add them. Edited since I found some more spiral photos.

Sasha Outside Edge:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...31n7b.html
Irina Outside Edge:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...31eok.html
Sarah Inside Edge:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...1&ncid=634
Michelle Inside Edge:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...2zxxu.html
No Way José Edge:p :lol:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...2zap6.html
Rgirl
PS No edge, no spiral, but just because this is such a great photo of "Why Sarah Won the Gold":
story.news.yahoo.com/news...2x4pe.html

S

sk8ing lady2001

Re: The Edges: Spiral Photos

I like all of them, but that picture of Michelle is especially great. :)

L

LADSKATER

Sasha and Irinas' are the best. Great picture of Sarah.

Ladskater

R

rgirl181

Idle, you be right. That is an amazing edge and we all know how high Nicole's leg gets. I must admit that "mothership" made me think "Titanic"--all that blue ice--but only in the sense that Nicole's got so much lean you're just sure she's going to scrape a glacier:lol: I think I once described the end of a COI program Nicole did where she truly spiraled her spiral, around and around until she finished in a final point. Must have maintained that deep-edged spiral for a good 30 seconds. Killer.
Rgirl

S

sk8guy2k2

Very nice. What's with the speed skater???

R

rgirl181

What's with the speed skater? A joke:p As in zero edge. Also, at the '94 Olympics, I think, a speed skater who won a gold medal was a former figure skater who left the sport because she got so sick of the unfair judging. So after she won her medal, she took off around the speed skating rink in a spiral that was quite lovely--a sort of "giving the finger" to figure skating.

Found a pic of Sarah's spiral:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...1&ncid=634
Rgirl

J

Joesitz

That split jump of Sarah is a true Grand Jete. My kind of jump. I'm not impressed with the so called Russian split.

Joe

S

SuChaMc

That spiral pic

I've seen this photo of Sarah's spiral before, but I wish there was one with her hands in a better position.

R

rgirl181

Re: That spiral pic

Welcome to GS, SuChaMc:D It looks like they caught Sarah as she was extending her arms. I like the shape though; I think it looks cool. But mainly I was looking for photos that showed the edges on spirals. Maybe there will be more by Saturday.
Rgirl

D

dizzydi7

I still like Sasha's spiral the best of the Ladies. Such beautiful extension, stretch through the body and lovely hand positions. I don't see where any of the other ladies have more edge depth.

It's a winner.

dizzydi7

S

SHINE2002

I thought extention and edge depth were two separate things?

D

DORISPULASKI

Idle, That Bobek in white picture is just gorgeous!!! dpp

E

Excidra2001

re:

Edge depth and extension are different. While Irina and Michelle might never achieve the extension Sasha gets on her spirls, Sasha might never achieve the deep edges the two ladies get on their spirals.

R

rgirl181

Re: MK photos

Shallah and Shine,
Thanks for adding all the photos to the mix. The one of MK in her split leap from FOG from the Japanese site is perfect. Her head and shoulders are in an odd position in the others, unfortunately. And I just don't know about that electric blue:eek: And Shine you're right, that spiral edge in the photo of "Sheh" is superb.
Rgirl