Westminster Dog Show | Golden Skate

Westminster Dog Show

Who's up for the dog show? It will be televised on USA network on Monday and Tuesday, I think.

They have been running some really cool ads for it (you can see them if you watch Monk -- OT, do you like the new lady who took Sharona's part?).

Anyway, in the ad they show close-ups of all these champions of different breeds with their game faces on, like they're saying, "Bring it!" The last one is an Afghan Hound who looks like, "You want a piece of me?" Then the words come on the screen:

"Fetch it!" :rofl:

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'll be watching and rooting for the pug... I don't care how nice the other dogs look, pugs are always overlooked due to politiks...

this 'sport' is more subjective than Olympic ice dancing :laugh:

on another note, the agility competition is being shown tonight on Animal planet

4dogknight

Final Flight
Here's the url for the The Westminster Kennel Club. The site is loaded with all kinds of information.

I agree Mathman the ads on USA capture the attitude of the doggers to a "T". I loved the Afgan's shaking her head and throwing her hair, I mean ears, over her shoulder.

Apparently again the largest breed entry is the Golden Retriever. I find it strange that since this is the most popular breed in the US that it has not made group winner in recent memory, But then every year I'm rooting for the Irish Wolfhound for group winner. Someday my dreams will come true.

4dk - who is counting down the hours until 7:00 cdst on the 14th.
And Mathman about the replacement on Monk; I'm of two minds on this, while I miss Bitty Schram the new 'associate' is written as a bit edgy. Perhaps the role will smooth over when the season break takes place.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Re: the dogs: GO PUG!

Re: Monk: The show stinks without Bitty Schram. WHY, oh why, did she leave? There is no chemistry between Monk and the new chick, and she's not such a great actress either. Also, the whole "dead wife returns in visions" is just a bit too out there for me. Once, okay, I can understand, but the repetition of it I don't care for at all. TOO HEAVY!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I'll be cheering for any dog but the poodle! Gads. I guess you could say I'm ABP...anyone but poodle.

:)

bronxgirl

Medalist
My cat Harry is named for my cousin's Tibetan Terrier Harry (who's from show stock but didn't enjoy himself in the ring, so he ended up being the beloved and pampered pet of my cousin instead). The Tibetans are shown in the same group with the poodles, and they are always at a disadvantage against them. Though, to tell the truth, the male Standard Poodles always seem a little embarrassed to be shown in that fou-fou cut. It's as if they're saying to themselves that they can hear the French Bulldogs laughing at them all the way around the ring

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Abbey and I will be cheering for the Pembroke Welsh Corgi in the herding group. This is Abbey's favorite dog show because she is named after it...Westminster Abergale ( a town in Wales). :love: :love: :love: Good luck to all of the dogs, their owners, and handlers!

Johar

Medalist
I loved that Newfoundland that won last year. He was soooooooo cute :love:

As usual, I will be rooting for any large breed. Are pitbulls in this show?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johar - I don't think so... there've been quite a few dog shows lately and none of them have pitbulls...

my guess is since they've gotten a bad rap from people who think it's the breed of dog and not the dog's owner that can make it a killer 🇳🇴 that they just aren't that popular in the show circuit... I could be wrong though

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
childfreegirl said:
I'll be rooting for the bulldog. :love:

yes, yes, me too!

Bulldogs (and childfree life) are very dear to me!

I agree with Johar, Josh the Newf was great. I have to say that Mick the Kerry Blue Terrier is my favorite from the recent years.

apart fromthe bullies I would root for any large dog! (especially those with wrinkles!)

Yana

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Hey, I hear rumor that a pug won 3rd place. Anyone know if that's true? :love:

Would you not have awarded the dog below "Best In Show?" ;)

fe831039.jpg.png

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yuka wants me to get into a photo war with you, but my digi went belly up and I am in the process of uploading the last of my nationals photos, but I will be back :rofl:

not that Madelyn isn't cute, Yuka just thinks she's the cutest one ever ;) :rock: :laugh:

JOHIO2

Medalist
Bulldog? Which breed? American? English? Staffordshire? or my favorite, those egg heads, the miniature bull terrier? A bull terrier won the group at the Eukanuba Nat'l championship, shown ad nauseum over the past few weeks on Animal Planet. After repeats, I decided I liked "puppy bowl" better and that was just puppies playing.

As for "pit bull" -- it's been applied to any of the above except maybe my minis. Who really knows what people mean when they say that.

As for me, I'll be taping it as I have for the past few years. I love dog shows! (just had enough of AP showing that particular show -- although they did also manage to replay last year's show too)

Petlover

On the Ice
I used to have a beagle/greyhound mix with one ear up and one ear down. When Lacey walked around the bed, all we could see was the one up ear, it looked like a periscope! My husband used to say that we had the one and only member of the Periscope breed, and she would win best in show at Westminster!

Seriously, I'm rooting for dachsunds, shih tzus, shelties...... I guess all of them!

Johar

Medalist
I like German Shepherds, but not the way German Shepherd upscale show dogs look. The way they have been bred doesn't make them look right.

GoldenLady

On the Ice
4dogknight said:
Apparently again the largest breed entry is the Golden Retriever. I find it strange that since this is the most popular breed in the US that it has not made group winner in recent memory, But then every year I'm rooting for the Irish Wolfhound for group winner. Someday my dreams will come true.

About the Goldens, you're right - there are 53 Goldens entered, and that's the highest of any breed this year. The last - and only - time a Golden has won Group was way back in 1968, and no Golden has ever won Best In Show at Westminster. Maybe this'll be the year.... :love:

I'll be rooting for the Golden; I had a look at the list of Goldens entered and it should be a good competition. I'm going to try to watch the breed judging on streaming video tomorrow, through the Westminster website.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the show! Unfortunately, I won't get to see the televised coverage until Tuesday and Wednesday nights, since I'm in Canada and don't have digital/satellite. Hope you all enjoy it, and good luck to all your favourites! :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johar said:
I like German Shepherds, but not the way German Shepherd upscale show dogs look. The way they have been bred doesn't make them look right.

my aunt says that that's the way ALL Shepherds are supposed to look, but that the more popular look is the "Western World" look... she explained it all to me, but ITA that those dogs look just weird lol