Westminster Dog Show | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Westminster Dog Show

I think the problem with German Shepards is that the back legs are supposed to be shorter than the front.

http://www.giftsforpets.ca/images/breedofthemonth/german_shepard.jpg

I have read that many purebreds of this breed suffer from arthritis in their hips later in life because of this. That is always the danger with too much inbreeding. Natural tendencies get more and more exaggerated. Like Siamese cats are all cross-eyed and many have serious problems with their sight.

Mathman

PS. There is a new beed showing this year, the Neopolitan Mastiff.

http://www.dog-breeders.biz/pics/_cache/28933_1_s.jpg

Last edited:

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi Toni!!

Tonichelle said:
my aunt says that that's the way ALL Shepherds are supposed to look, but that the more popular look is the "Western World" look... she explained it all to me, but ITA that those dogs look just weird lol

Well, there is no question I will Tivo the Westminster show and enjoy watching with Mr. Doggy.

As a GSD (German Shepherd Dog) owner, I do have some comments on the breed. (what a shock, right?? :))

First off, the "Stack" pose (front legs squared underneath the dog, back legs - one forward and one back) accentuates that "look" where the front end is much higher than the back end. That's mainly for pictures and judges in it's simplest form.

That being said, there are slightly different standards that "American" GSD breeders breed for, and that "German" or "American wanna be German" breeders breed for. Generally speaking, I think it's safe to say (and I'm being VERY GENERAL here) the American AKC breeders look for a bit more extremes (i.e. angulation - that slope) than the German standard calls for. There are probably other conformation areas that differ in terms of preference (American v. German) that I'm still learning about.

My GSD's are bred and the older one shown under what are essentially German SV breeding standards. We've been encouraged to show Kimba under AKC rules (she is AKC registered as well as SV registered - all US bred GSD's have to be AKC registered first) as she might just do OK there. Unproven concept at this stage but I'll let you know how it goes if we decide to try it.

My fondest hope is that the "myth" of breeding standards is real - that dogs who are highly rated for breeding truly do represent the best working possiblilities for the breed. I suppose that's a bit like hoping that FS judging is completely fair, and devoid of any national bias or personal preference. :):)

I'm just in it for fun, so take my comments lightly. Bottom line is...the side of the sport I find myself in is definately dominated by the German way. I suppose all sports go back to a root somewhere, right??

DG

Hi, Doggygirl, I was waiting for you to join in, LOL. I have a question. There are two different groups, herdng dogs and working dogs. What do working dogs work at that is not herding (and not sporting -- I understand that)?

MM

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Toni!! Get A Tivo!!

No kidding - something like $99 after rebate for the base unit, and $12.95 per month. We are SO glad we got it!!

Mathman, I can't really step out here as I don't show AKC and really don't know anything about it. GSD's are considered herding dogs as far as I know, because that's what they have done (and still do) very naturally.

In modern times, GSD's are talked about as working dogs in the German sense because they are titled based on demonstrated competency in three areas - Obedience, Tracking and Protection. (no herding LOL!) But that has nothing that I know of to do with the Westminster show.

I personally find tracking to be very interesting, although it's not a spectator sport (IMO) like Figures in FS were never really a spectator sport. One has to appreciate the details to appreciate what's going on.

OK - enough said. I'm going back to a home cooked meal and the dog show!!

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Yikes Mm...

Mathman said:
I think the problem with German Shepards is that the back legs are supposed to be shorter than the front.

http://www.giftsforpets.ca/images/breedofthemonth/german_shepard.jpg

I have read that many purebreds of this breed suffer from arthritis in their hips later in life because of this. That is always the danger with too much inbreeding. Natural tendencies get more and more exaggerated. Like Siamese cats are all cross-eyed and many have serious problems with their sight.

Mathman

That camera angle is quite extreme. :) Hip dysplasia is actually the big concern with GSDs as well as many other breeds. Interestingly, I'm taking Kimba to the vet tomorrow for her 1 year rabies and what-not-shots, and also her first hip X-ray. Responsible breeders DO NOT breed males or females that have bad hips. Before Mr. Doggy and I invest further in Kimba's training, we will have (based on vet X-rays tomorrow) a good idea of where she is at. Hips / elbows aren't certified as "good" (OFA rated - an "a" stamp is what we're hoping for when she's 2) until the dogs are 2-years old and fully developed.

Check out Kimba's Brag Page for a better angle on that GSD stack shot. :)

http://www.discounttechnologyworkforce.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/kimba.html

DG. Mom of Kimba, Cleopatra, Buck and Ferguson

katherine2001

On the Ice
PrincessLeppard said:
I'll be cheering for any dog but the poodle! Gads. I guess you could say I'm ABP...anyone but poodle.

:)

I agree, but I would add one other breed--the Chinese Crested.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Harry my cat is eagerly looking forward to rooting for the Tibetan Terriers (his namesake) and the Shelties (as a special favor to me) :p

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I love Coco - from the terrier group. I remember this dog from the last time it won it's group. I will also be a sucker for the retreivers - lab and golden.

According to the announcers, the bulldog is just that - the bulldog.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Mathman....The dogs classified in the working group are bred to perform jobs such as guarding property, pulling sleds or making rescues of people in water. They are large dogs with lots of strength such as Saint Bernards, Great Danes, Boxers, and German Shepards.

The herding group has only been in existence with the AKC since 1983; the breeds in it were formerly classified in the working group. All dogs in this group have the ability to control other animals. Some examples of herding dogs are: Australian Shepard, Briard, Cardigan Welsh Corgi, Collie and Border Collie.

In 1982 I owned a show quality Briard and at that time Briards were still classified in the working group. She never made it into the show ring because she had a flighty personality which was very uncharacteristic of the breed. She was even afraid of her own shadow, and she would get so scared when people came to the house to visit that she peed on the rug every time. :sheesh: :laugh: That sort of behavior just doesn't make the grade in the show ring. :laugh:

Blue Bead

Medalist
RealtorGal...what a great picture! Your pug is just precious.

Perhaps tonight I'll actually remember that the Westminster is being broadcast before the show of over. :rolleye: LOL

bronxgirl

Medalist
Harry the cat was thrilled to see that the Tibetan Terrier won the Non-Sporting Group for the first time in history. So was my cousin! That was a win for all of you ABP folks ;)

childfreegirl

Final Flight
A.H.Black said:
According to the announcers, the bulldog is just that - the bulldog.

Yeah, I heard that too. I thought the one last night was adorable and should've won the group. And of course I know everything about dog shows and am not biased at all. :laugh:

Many years ago I had a Kerry Blue who was just part of the family and insisted on attending every party; every stroll outside; being introduced to new people, etc., etc. But the Westminster has never had a Kerry Blue at a top Terriror. :cry:

Joe