WSF Lawsuit Tossed out | Golden Skate

WSF Lawsuit Tossed out

Sad. This will give the ISU all the power it needs to dictate what it wants in anonymous judging and squelch any hint of foul play by the judges in any which way it deems. Crooked Federations march on.

Joe

soogar

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Sad. This will give the ISU all the power it needs to dictate what it wants in anonymous judging and squelch any hint of foul play by the judges in any which way it deems. Crooked Federations march on.

Joe

Puhlease...the WSF was backed by IMG. Like International Management Group is going to be more objective than the ISU. IMG is only looking out for its own pockets. I think IMG should just concentrate on marketing tennis stars and SOI.

That judge should make the WSF pick up the legal fees that the ISU had incurred. They could have used those legal fees for prize money.

I am disappointed that the WSF wasted its meager resources on frivolous legal posturing. With the initial support of names like Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button and Peggy Fleming, it seems like they could have made some effort toward actually organizing some events. The federation seems to be finished altogether now.

In a related story, we had a thread a while back about USFS president Chuck Foster, who resigned abruptly after less than a year in office. Foster is featured in an interview in the latest issue of Blades on Ice magazine. In this interview, obviously given in more hopeful days, Foster emphasized that USFS had no interest in starting a revolution, but rather wanted to work for reform of the ISU from within.

A few months later, a barely older but apparently much wiser Chuck Foster has concluded that this is impossible, and he wants nothing further to do either with the ISU or with USFS.

Foster also mentioned in that interview that a major key to the continued success of USFS is maintaining their lucrative contract with ABC television. They make more from this -- the centerpiece is the U.S. Championships -- than the ISU does from it's new ESPN deal. But the contract expires in 2007 and with viewer interest on the decline, USFS will have to make some (unspecified) changes as it negotiates a new contract.

(Look for Michelle to unexpectedly decide to stay on until 2007 Nationals, LOL.)

Mathman

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
(Look for Michelle to unexpectedly decide to stay on until 2007 Nationals, LOL.)
Hey, she's a Disney endorser, and Disney and ABC and ESPN are the same company...

Mathman said:
I am disappointed that the WSF wasted its meager resources on frivolous legal posturing. With the initial support of names like Scott Hamilton, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dick Button and Peggy Fleming, it seems like they could have made some effort toward actually organizing some events. The federation seems to be finished altogether now.Mathman
ITA. Without a single event sponsored by the WSF it never got its blades on the ice. However, it is understandable since Speedy's threat to disembowel any skater who would skate under that banner. Foster came too late for reforming the ISU.

We're just stuck with this ISU and if we lose ESPN we will only get US Nats because it makes money.

(Michelle will stay for at least three more Olys.)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
However, it is understandable since Speedy's threat to disembowel any skater who would skate under that banner.
Which is why I'll never understand why they didn't try to create a pro circuit to give skaters an option for leaving eligible skating and ISU rules and judging behind at the first possible moment. Right now, eligible is the only game in town. Why try to take it over, when you can make something better? How many favors were the collective group of Yamaguchi, Hamilton, Wylie, etc. owed to get the thing started?

sk8m8

Final Flight
There is another way of looking at these legal posturings....

In the regular court system lawsuits are pursued in whichever venue will yield the best results OR to preclude having to "go down that road again". So, if you view this as a judgement which reads " this is not a suitable venue to persue this matter (this, being US civil court) and should not be tried here." Once could also assume that if itis to procede at all, it must procede at a International level. That could mean that the ISU could be sued by the WSF in the World Court of Sports Arbitration or even the International Court of Justice. In other words, since the courts in the US have deemed the suit as inappropriate for jurisdiction in the US Court, a higher or more International body could rule since the chief offender towards the WSF was initiated by the ISU and followed as "protocol" by member unions. It's happened in other sports, and unless someone owns a "franchise right" for a specific sports,such as the NFL for American Rules Football, initiating threats and sanctions upon any fledgling organization is contrary to most international law. Also, since most of the participants in the international world of Figure Skating come from participating nations of these bodies, something at some time will eventually have to give. Wheather the WSF is this entity or not only remains to be seen.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMHO, there needs to be a new organization that can start with the pro ranks, hosting and judging pro events. When fairly judged events begin to command better ratings than the ISU events, the IOC might listen to reason.

mpal2

Final Flight
Mathman said:

She's already hinted at 2007 in one interview. I don't know how serious she was, but it wouldn't surprise me. If she feels like she is still capable of competing, she just might. You have enough people begging her to bail them out and you never know what will happen. I for one would be thrilled to see her keep going. :yes:

Linny

Final Flight
World Pro

Wasn't Scott Williams involved with an organization that attempted to have open competitions that were for non-eligible skaters and not covered by ISU?
Linny

The idea of Professional Figure Skating competitions would be the answer to the ISU if it was handled properly. Eligible skating would become as popular as Tennis is at the Olympics if Pro competitions become more than a reality. It would have serious competitions with serious competitors (leave the props to show skating). It must clean up the judging scandals and have active referees and serious paid judges. Any hint of collusion would be acted on right there in front of the public. Results would be pending on a ruling on any accusations. Guilty judges would lose their judgeship and their salaries. hmm.

Joe

Tereza

Match Penalty
:yes: Finally those monkeys are off our backs and can climb back into their caves and mope all they want. They should suck it in and deal with it. The ISU is the one and the ONLY TRUE governing body of figure skating. Hearing about it was like hearing about the 9/11 attacks. Give me a break. Cinquanta isn't perfect, but is anyone. Plus the guy who started it pissed me off, so I hope he gets the message loud and clear. I am so glad the EVILLE uprising was chucked because some people have no lives. Long live the ISU. :p