Outdoor Skating, Anyone??? | Golden Skate

Outdoor Skating, Anyone???

S

SkateFan4Life

Are any of you skating outdoors this winter? We haven't had enough cold weather to hard-freeze the many ponds and lakes in this area, so nobody has ventured outdoors to skate.

I have wonderful childhood memories of skating outdoors with my friends - whipping around the frozen lakes, having the wind blow us around, freezing our fannies off but having a blast!

The long-range forecast is for temperatures in the 30s and 40s, so I guess we can forget about skating outdoors this winter.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Not this winter. The lake in our town has not freez up yet this year. It was said it frozn every four years. But we were lucky for last a few years it was freezed three or four times, IIRC, during the 7 years we live here.

nicole_l

Final Flight
I haven't had a chance to skate outside this winter, but I love it.
It's way more fun than skating on a rink.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My fondest memories of learning to figure skate are on the outdoor rink my dad made for my brother and I when we lived in Prince George, BC. When I was not at the rink practicing, I was outside practicing - it was awesome. I love skating outdoors!

We did have a cold snap here in January and someone had made a large outdoor rink for anyone to skate on - unfortunately, the ice was already melting when I found out about it.

Drats.... :cool:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
I grew up in San Antonio and San Diego...the captials of the known universe, apparently, for no skating :( . I'm rather embarassed to say I've never strapped on a pair of ice skates in my life. (Although I am pretty damn good on a pair of roller blades :) ).

I've recently moved to Alaska for school however...which is much more favorable. It's actually been *too cold* to skate recently (-40 F, anyone :) ), but hopefully I'll get to go skating for the first time in my life in the next couple weeks. I can't wait. I'm way, way too old at 21 to think about competitive skating...but not too old to experience the joy of it. :biggrin:

S

SkateFan4Life

Kurt's Girl said:
I've recently moved to Alaska for school however...which is much more favorable. It's actually been *too cold* to skate recently (-40 F, anyone :) ), but hopefully I'll get to go skating for the first time in my life in the next couple weeks. I can't wait. I'm way, way too old at 21 to think about competitive skating...but not too old to experience the joy of it. :biggrin:

Haven't you heard of competitive skating on the adult level? Sure, it's not the same as Olympic-level competition, but I've seen some of the adults (over 25 and by then some) who compete in the singles, pairs, and dance competitions, and they are really, really good. They are talented, dedicated, and they skate with joy. These wonderful "oldies" are out there on the ice competing because they love to skate. They're not doing it for fame, glory, or money. My hat goes off to all of them. đź‘Ť

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
considering Kurt's Girl has JUST become a fan of figure skating, give her a break... I didn't know about Adult Figure skating until I got on this board and I've been a fan of skating since I was 3 or 4 years old. :rolleyes: LOL

Besides, skating in general is not as popular up here in the Great State of Alaska as it is elsewhere, so we really don't have as many options as those of you who are privileged to live in the lower 48, Canada or the rest of the world. :laugh:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
Hee, well Tonichelle is kinda right; I am still learning about the sport (like she said I just became a fan.) no I haven't heard of adult figure skating before. Now that I think about it it does make perfect sense, since there are obviously people out there who want to compete but can't do so on the Olympic or World level. Good for them; its wonderful they get to do something they love. And who knows, maybe I can join them...once I actually lean how to stand up on the ice that is. :)