Sasha's fans and nonfans | Golden Skate

Sasha's fans and nonfans

Peggy

On the Ice
Just thought there should be a tread for people who are sensitive about their position on Sasha and want to get the record straight.

I'll start by saying I'm a big skating fan and Sasha is my favorite.
Peggy

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a big skating fan, too, and have been for many years. I'm not particularly a Sasha fan because it's just too frustrating, and anyway I think her PR people are doing her a tremendous disservice. All the hype just makes the pressure on Sasha that much greater.

Linny

Final Flight
Anti-fan?

Is it OK to say I'm an anti-fan? I don't trash her and don't particular enjoy threads that mostly trash her... I just ain't interested. Since we only see 4 skaters per competition, I wish they'd televise someone else.
Linny

millie

Medalist
If you have a hard time telling flowers from weeds, when they first come up......Pull everything...... that which comes up again will be weeds. :unsure:

patsue1947

Rinkside
I'm very definitely a non-fan of Sasha's. Don't trash, bash or otherwise, don't get the hype, won't be buying her "autobiography", don't care for the flexibility--for me, she is that ever-lovin" kitchen/bathroom break at televised events.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Cohen's not among my top favorites, who all have more power in their skating, but I find much about her skating to be exquisite.

rain

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen is one of my favorites. Even when she's not entirely on I still enjoy watching her immensely due to the superb dance ability and interesting moves. I remember the first time I saw her skate - I thought immediately she would be somebody people were talking about for a long time to come. Prophetic no? I think oftentimes people are way too hard on her - sure her PR isn't always the most diplomatic, but then again, I've never been one who's particularly interested in the real lives of the skaters - I just like to watch the skating - and I remember saying a few dumb things myself when I was a teenager.

Many detractors say she will never be a great champion - personally I think she already is. She's won world medals and been top of the podium at any number of international competitions. I get that her skating isn't everybody's cup of tea - heck, I'm not a big Slutskaya fan - but nobody can deny she's a top-level contender. I'm hoping, in spite of her odd season, she can do really well at worlds.

Hikaru

Final Flight
ITA with you Rain. I love figure skating, and Sasha definitely is in my favorite list. I really like the details in her presentation, and for me it is a joy to see her skate, whether she wins or not. I hope she'll do well at worlds :)

Laura_B

Rinkside
Like her or not we sure do spend tons of time and thread pages talking about her! :) I'm not a huge fan, but I'm not an anti-fan either. There are some things she said that I don't necessarily like, but on the other hand I appreciate her honesty and competitiveness. I also adore her flexibility, and I love the fire she puts into her programs when she's on. Overall, she's somebody I'll tape when I'm watching competitions ;)

Fossi

Final Flight
I am not a fan of Sasha. Sarah's my girl. I do think Sasha is a good skater, and that if she doesn't pull it together at Worlds this year, she is going to be passed by the young up and comers. IMO, Sasha came the closest to a World title last year, and she blew it. I don't know if she'll ever get that close. She may win a National title, but it might be a "fluke" and I doubt she'll ever be a multiple winner. The up and comers are gaining on her and the judges won't be so generous if the mistakes continue.
I think some of her fans are hideously denying being a fan because of their past behaviors on the boards. Not all, of course. Some have been declaring her the new National/World champion for years and when she doesn't win they eat their words. Makes me feel bad for Sasha that SOME of her fans wouldn't be proud fans win, or lose.
I will always be a Sarah fan because she is a great competitor and person. I liked her before she won Skate Canada and The Olympics. I liked her because she was my favorite, not because of medals. Poor Sasha.

Jhar55

Medalist
I love skating, Sasha is not my favorite. But I do enjoy watching her, she is a very beautiful skater, who has a few moves I've not seen anyone else do.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Apart from the fan business, she's OK. Not great, not terrible. She gives off this cold feeling IMO and has said stuff that has turned me off of her though. I can't feel bad for her when she falls. I don't hate her but don't like her either. Kind of like how I feel about MK.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Other than Swan Lake the first time it was performed (whatever that early cheesefest was that year), I have found all of her performances quite dull. Granted, I have not seen the legendary 2000 SP, so possibly there are two programs that I might like.

Overall, I can name about 15 other women I'd rather watch than Sasha. But completely overall, I'd rather watch the men.

:)

bdreampixie

On the Ice
I am a non-fan. I love figure skating and have about 7 fave girls right now. I find Sasha's skating boring and lacking in power, depth and great, smooth edges (which I love). I've seen her 3 times in person and was left very unimpressed.

The only thing that bothers me really is the hype. We always hear from the commentators how she is the best skater in the world, how she's unbeatable if only she skates clean. That bothers, because for one it is simply not true, and two it is a major disservice to all the other girls out there competing who have better jumps, edges, speed, etc. For me, I would say a Julia Sebestyen has more potential, but of course she's not American, or classicaly pretty and I think that's a major part of it. Smacking you're own head with your leg does not make you the most talented.

lavender

Record Breaker
Not a fan. I don't root for her or against her. For the most part I just rather not say anything about her. One of the reasons is because I've come to feel uncomfortable about threads that are really negative regarding her. I rather not hear about the bumping incidents if the other skater is ok with it. I don't care if her journals don't make sense because I'm not a fan. Her journals are really for her fans who just want to hear something. I just rather she keep other skaters like Fumie (easy qual round) or Michelle out of them. I do enjoy some of her skating/programs. I don't care if she ever skates a clean program although I sometimes feel a little bad for her when she doesn't. I hate unwarranted hype for any skater and of course this includes Sasha.

Last edited: