Requiem for The Ice Channel | Golden Skate

Requiem for The Ice Channel

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Re: UAA/UAF/Kurt's Girl

Kurt's girl... WELCOME to the forum... and :eek You're from Alaska! I am not the only one after all LOL (and I love your choice in skater :love: )

Last edited:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
Well well, thank you for the fine welcome Tonichelle :). Obviously if you live in Alaska and are a Kurt fan, you have impeccable taste! :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Kurt's Girl said:
Well well, thank you for the fine welcome Tonichelle :). Obviously if you live in Alaska and are a Kurt fan, you have impeccable taste! :biggrin:

ha ha! I had no choice in teh matter, born and raised in Alaska... was born into a figure skating lovin family (well my dad's side anyway, though I am definitely the most obsessed LOL)

Reading your bio I have to wonder... why Fairbanks? LOL I have family in Tok and I hate the interior.... so EXTREME in weather LOL I prefer the coast... Kenai to be precise. I'm going to UAA right now so I'm stuck in the city BLEH :sheesh:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
UAA?! SPAWN OF THE DEVIL! I am a UAF Nanook. Nanook is Inupiaq for Polar Bear...but what on Earth is a Seawolf?! :rofl:

Just kidding of course (mostly ;) ). I'm sure UAA is a fine school, but its too urban for me. I was born in San Antonio, TX rasied in San Diego, CA...I've had enough city to last me a lifetime. Give me Fairbanks (and I hope, Alberta Canada one day). I don't need running water, just wide open spaces, mountians and snow :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I honestly don't care about the rivalry between our schools. My school spirit is still with my high school LOL I am pathetic when it comes to that ;)

I have no idea what a seawolf either.. but it goes with the UAA chant I guess...

when I was little I was big on UAA... now it's just a place that I can get my major for cheap LOL :laugh:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
Lol, yeah. "Seawolf" does go nicely with your school chant. Of course, it also goes nicely with our anti UAA chant :biggrin: :

WHAT'S a SEA-wolf? WHAT's a SEA-wolf?

I love hockey games :) I don't care much about school rivalries either, but it is a lot of fun to go cheer your team on.

It's funny you should mention high school too; that's who I'm really loyal to as well. Of course, I've only been up here a couple semesters, so I suppose I will grow more attatched as time goes on, :)

Do you think that "Sea Wolf" was taken from the Jack London book of that name? Wolf Larsen was a famous crazy sea captain and whaler, and this name sort of means a fearless seaman. (?)

Mathman

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Do you think that "Sea Wolf" was taken from the Jack London book of that name? Wolf Larsen was a famous crazy sea captain and whaler, and this name sort of means a fearless seaman. (?)

Mathman

I've never read that book (I don't even think it came in my collection of Jack London books) but I don't think so...

http://www.uaa.alaska.edu - this has a few graphics of teh seawolf mascot

and I think they have a costume... and it looks more like a huskey...

I guess I should ask my dad where the heck they got the idea, but I am not sure if even he would know LOL :laugh:

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
OMG Mathman, stfu! Don't *tell* them where their mascot came from, or UAF will have nothing left to make fun of them for during sports games :mad: !

Oh yeah. Except the fact that we consistantly whip them at hockey. But other than that.... ;)

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly where it came from. I never even connected the London story with the mascot. Which is lame since I'm an English major, but the two never clicked in my head. London is so big up here, it would make perfect sense. Of course, that still doesn't make it a real animal, but I guess if UC BErkely can have a mythical Bruin as its mascot, UAA can have a Seawolf.

Of course, if a Seawolf *did* exisit, I'm sure a polar bear would be able to kick its butt. (Kidding! Only kidding!)(Mostly! :) )

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know... as lame as a seawolf may be, the Palmer highschool mascot is the moose... their cheers are sooooooooooo pathetic... the first time we heard it my best friend and I almost fell off the bleachers laughing hard...

Palmer *clap clap* MOOOOOOSE! (and they put their hands up on their head making antlers... so dumb looking)

OK, now that I see what it really is, forget Jack London, LOL. As is obvous if you look at the artistic style of the logo -- hrrrumph -- *goes into college professor lecture mode* -- this is one of the creatures of Innuit and Pacific Northwest mythology, the kind you see celebrated on totem poles. Here is a Seawolf dancer's mask.

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach...k/mk0006/res500.html+seawolf+totem+pole&hl=en

I wouldn't be too sure that a polar bear could whup him:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dungeon/8511/seawolf.html

MM;)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
isn't it sad that Larry seems to know more about my school's mascot than I do? I think it is...

so, tell me, MathMan... would I fall asleep during your lectures, or are you a cool prof? ;)(considering you teach math I have a feeling I'd fall asleep no matter how much fun your class is LOL) :rofl:

(Since nobody after the second post has mentioned the Ice Channel, LOL, I am tranferring this thread to the Cafe, OK?)

Toni, I have been called many things by my students, but "cool" isn't one of them. :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
(Since nobody after the second post has mentioned the Ice Channel, LOL, I am tranferring this thread to the Cafe, OK?)
I was thinking about doing the same thing, you beat me to it! LOL

Toni, I have been called many things by my students, but "cool" isn't one of them. :laugh:
awwwwwwwwww well you're a COOL Online Prof in my book :) :rock: