Johnny Weir Journal | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Journal

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I just looked at the last entry inJohnny's journal . It's not often that you read a skater actually say his marks were too high. Imperssive.

Yes, Ptichka. He was quite candid about his skating at the Nats and was not happy about it, but this was all after the fact. I would have liked to read more on what his plans were for the Worlds: like a quad?, a change of program? a better costume?, etc.

Also he didn't mention his competitors at Nats or his future competitors at Worlds. Unlike the wonderful interview by Brian. I think Johnny is very introspective as is his skating - not unlike Michelle Kwan - both of whom get involved with their music and just skate for the love of skating and not for overwhelming the audience.

Joe

Vash01

Medalist
Johnny is introspective in his skating, but I don't see Michelle as being one. In fact she really reaches out to the audience.

Last year Johnny did comment on Plushenko not being that great but this year he seems to be focusing on himself, which will help him a lot.

BTW Johnny is not the only skater that said his marks were too high. Dmitriev said that about K&D's 6.0 in the 98 Olympics pairs LP. However, unlike Johnny, Artur was happy with his performance.

I am trying to think of other skaters that may have said that (publicly) about their marks as being too high, but can't think of any right now. I do remember Anton shaking his head (as if he disagreed with the marks) when he saw that B&S had placed higher than Pet-Tik after B&S made a disastrous mistake in their LP at the 2000 GPF.

Vash

Last edited:
Vash01 said:
Johnny is introspective in his skating, but I don't see Michelle as being one. In fact she really reaches out to the audience.Vash
I don't want to change this thread to an MK debate. But have you ever seen her East of Eden program? Totally quiet and without fanfare. The most beautiful skate I have ever seen. JMO.

It's not Michelle reaching out to the audience, it's the US audience going after her. Watch what happens in Worlds. No one will go after her and she will not go after them. Maybe she should. It has been said audience appeal does affect some judges subjectively.

Joe