Your favorite program of all time? | Golden Skate

Your favorite program of all time?

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
I know this has probably been done before, but I looked through at least 7-8 pages and didn't see a similar thread. Besides, I'm curious as to what you all say since I'm just getting into figure skating myself--I figure programs you mention will give me a good list of things to go seek out. (Ulterior motives, bwahahaha!)

It's incredibly hard for me to pick...I think it's a tie between Kurt Browning's "That's Entertainment" and "Nyah." "Entertainment" is just so fun, lighthearted, and always puts me in a good mood, while "Nyah" is just beautiful and emotional and gives me chills every time I watch it.

What are your picks?

Hikaru

Final Flight
well, it's hard to choose an all-time favorite program, but one that I just love watching over and over is Xue Shen and Honbo Zhao's "Turandot" program. It's just so beautiful!!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
My new favorite program is Matt Savoie's short program, especially as it was skated at Nationals. Wow. Following closely is Evgeni's "Moonlight Sonata" SP and his "Adagio" SP from Bofrost 2002. And Alexander Abt's "Russian Sailor Dance" SP, also from Bofrost 2002.

I guess I'm just an SP kind of girl.

:)

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
PrincessLeppard said:
I guess I'm just an SP kind of girl.

Ironcially I'm totally the opposite--I love the technique in the SP, but its the artistry and open-endedness of the LP that I love the most. Different strokes, I guess. :)

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I may end up wanting to revise this later, but this is what comes to my head at the moment.

MEN:
Short -- "Les Patineurs", Brian Boitano, 87-88
Long -- "Three Musketeers", Philippe Candeloro, 97-98

LADIES:
Short -- "Culture", Irina Slutskaya, 00-01
Long -- "Concierto d'Aranjuez", Caryn Kadavy, 86-87

PAIRS:
Short -- Sale & Pelletier, 01-02, not sure of the music, but it was the one that was done as kind of a battle of wills type thing between a man and a woman.
Long -- "Love Story", Sale & Pelletier, 99-00 (Ironically, the only time they did it and it didn't thoroughly move me was at SLC)

DANCE:
Original Dance -- Spanish Medley, Anissina & Peizerat, 01-02.
Set Pattern (this goes way back) -- Bestemianova & Bukin, Paso Doble, 84 Olys
Free Dance -- "Barnum", Torvill & Dean, 82-83; I've seen some that I've liked just as much or more, but this is the program that got me truly excited about the possibilites of ice dance.

76olympics

On the Ice
I have a few favorites

. G and G: Vocalise and the 1988 Long program

Michelle K's long program in 1998 (especially at US nationals)--blue grey dress (angelica?)

Yuka Sato: Pro program to "I Love You always forever"

Brian B-1988 Long Program

B and S- Chaplin program-"City Lights"

I will probably think of more!

You are right, Johnny Coop. That Candeloro program was memorable. I was caught up in it. I wish it was more typical for him.

Eeyora

Final Flight
Long Programs
Michelle Kwan: Salome
Torvil and Dean Bolero
Annisina and Peizerat: Carmina Burana
M and D Liebestram
Gordeeva and Grinkov Moonlight Sonata
Alexei Yagudin: Lawrence of Arabia

Short Programs
Michelle Kwan: Rachmaninoff
Michelle Kwan: The Feeling Begins
Kristi Yamaguchi: The Blue Danube
Alexei Yagudin Winter

Exhibition
Michelle Kwan: Fields of Gold
Sasha Cohen: Romeo and Juliet

Pro Numbers
Kristi Yamaguchi: Doop/Doop as well as Madame Butterfly
Brian Boitano: Music of the Night

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
You know -- I have NEVER seen Doop Doop, but I have heard SO much about it; I would love to get my hands on a tape of it so I can finally see it.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Speaking of just programs, I'll go with:

Michelle Kwan: Miraculous Mandarin, The Red Violin, Ariane
Kristina Czako: The Addams Family 97 LP
Ilia Klimkin: Dr. Diesel
Jeff Buttle: This years LP Naqoygatsi (sp?)
Vanessa Gursmeroli: The Mask 97 sp
Kristi Yamaguchi: Malaguena 92 LP (sooo difficult, incredible)

Best performances

Kwan: Salome, Romanza, Aranjuez, Fields of Gold, East of Eden exhbition
Julia S.: Tango from last year at Europeans and Worlds
Anissina/Peizerat: Romeo and Juliet, Flamenco OD from 02
Krylova/Ovsianakov: Masquerade Waltz
B/S: City Lights, Olympic sp
John Curry: Don Quixote
Tonya Harding: Her winning LP (Send in the Clowns) when she landed her 3 axel at Nats
YeBin Mok: The Swan 03 sp

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm this is tough

I'd have to go with... *covers eyes*
Kurt's "Serenade to Sonia" because I fell in love with him from that moment... and it's just such a classic program
but then I want to say Casablanca, Nyah, Antares.... I should just say "Kurt's Pro Programs" LOL

but then there's Scott's numerous programs

and Jamie and David....

"Bet you can't like just one" ;)

None_Elf_ear

Spectator
This is one of the most difficul choices in FS I ever had to take.

But it will always remain Alexander Abt's SP on Armenian Selections.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
PrincessLeppard said:
My new favorite program is Matt Savoie's short program, especially as it was skated at Nationals. Wow. :)

I loved that program. :love: It took me forever to figure out where I'd heard that music, although I knew I'd heard it about a million times. In the last 10 seconds I figured it out. It's the music from the last scene of the movie "Platoon". It's one of dh's all time favorites, the movie that is.

Michelle Kwan: East of Eden, Washington pro-am version.

Rachmaninov short program.

The Red Violin, 1999 Worlds exhibition version.

Kristi Yamaguchi: Bridge over troubled waters.

Kurt Browning: Singin' in the Rain

Hey, None Elf ear, welcome to the forum!

Mathman

It is so hard to pick just one, but the one that always stands-out to me is Kurt Browning's "Brick House" which was so full of energy and fun and totally rocked the house when I saw it live in Philly during the 1996 Stars On Ice Show, so that is the one that I pick....probably mainly because of seeing it live.

Petlover

On the Ice
In no particular order, some favorites - could not pick just one.

Kurt Browning: Brick House and Lightning Crashes
Sasha Cohen: Last year's SP, Malaguena I think
Alexei Yagudin: Winter
Brian Joubert: Matrix
Kristi Yamaguchi: Smooth
Michelle Kwan: Aranjuez
Belbin & Agosto: Anything, but this year's FD is exceptional
Sale & Pelletier: Tristan and Isolde

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Ladies:

Michelle Kwan, Salome

Men:

Brian Boitano: 1988 Olympic Long Program

Dance:

Torvill and Dean: Bolero

Pairs:

No real favorite here.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Kurt's Girl said:
Ironcially I'm totally the opposite--I love the technique in the SP, but its the artistry and open-endedness of the LP that I love the most. Different strokes, I guess. :)

Um, have you seen the four SPs I mentioned? Because the reason I love them is for their artistry...the limited number of jumps forces the skaters, IMO, to concentrate more on the choreography. Check them out and then tell me if you think they are all about technique.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
PrincessLeppard said:
Because the reason I love them is for their artistry...the limited number of jumps forces the skaters, IMO, to concentrate more on the choreography.

I have to totally agree with this. I've seen so many skaters who put on really good, interesting shorts and then the long rolls around and it's 3 1/2 minutes of meandering about basically connecting jumps and about 45 seconds of anything remotely resembling artistry. Plus it would seem to be easier for some to put together an artistic concept for 2 1/2 minutes, as opposed to having to maintain one for 4+ minutes, which takes more concentration; plus there's all the extra jumps to have to worry about. Short programs often tend to be more rounded; so many long programs have a lot of dead weight in them.

I'm glad to see that there are others out there who liked Krisztina Csako's "Addams Family" program (truly one of the most clever long programs I have seen in "eligible" competition), and also Brian Joubert's "Matrix" -- I liked that one a lot last season but I read a lot of criticism of it. I think it's the best long he's had so far.