Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

All Hail Queen Yu-Na!!!!!! SailorGalaxia518's Avatar

News Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

It's official

Here is the link:
    http://sport.gazeta.ru/sport/2005/01/a_232026.shtml
    (It's in Russian, be helpful if someone can translate it)

Thanks to FSU

Custom Title

Sorry, it is not really official..would hardly call it NEWS

Um, I read this article a couple of weeks ago, and the only thing she mentions is that the next season is most likely to be her last. She only mentions it in passing, in the context of preparations for the Olympic season: b/c it is most likely her last season, she wants to put heart in soul for her last set of programs.

I think it's no secret that Irina was planning to hang up the skates after 2006 - she has been talking about starting a family for at least 3 seasons now.

Anyways, the article is full of fluff. I would be happy to translate it this evening or tomorrow morning... Have to go to work!

Yana

I was under the impression she was going to retire after the Moscow Worlds but it makes more sense that she stay for the Olys. I can understand her wanting to skate another Worlds especially if she wins it. That'll be: The 2006 Olympic Gold Champion and 3 time World Champion.

Let's see

Joe

Custom Title
    Does anyone know when Irina gave this interview? The reason why I'm asking is that I heard that Irina had a flare up of her condition before Euros and her doctors had to increase her medication -- and I think that Irina will let her health determine if she is going to Torino or not. (I want her to go, and have her and Michelle tie for gold)

Custom Title
    she gave this interview right after the Euros (Jan 30, 2005).

Custom Title
    Take it to the bank, Irina will retire after '06 season.

On the Ice
    Hope MK will notice and do the same, haha!

Custom Title
    Yana, I would like to read your translation. Thanks.
    Last edited by mzheng; 02-18-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ditzysk8r

Michelle isn't preventing your favorite from moving up by any chance, is she?

Quote Originally Posted by Piel
    Michelle isn't preventing your favorite from moving up by any chance, is she?
    hmmm, I dunno, but for some time now (actually after watching the last performances given by both of them), whenever I see Irina or Michelle skating, I get this feeling that both of them will move on after Olys, or maybe 2006 worlds, to round up that season.
    Last edited by Hikaru; 02-18-2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Minority member
    She's definitely done a lot to push this sport forward and the skating world will definitely miss her. Consistenly she's been one of the top ladies in the sport for so many years and her not being in the mix after next season is surreal to me.
    I guess we are all wondering, what next Irina? I'm guessing SOI will give her a call, Scotty loves the personality and fire she brings to her exhibition numbers. Plus, SOI has hired top Russian skaters to do their tour and I think Irina will soon join that club. But considering that SOI skaters tour for a few months, I think Irina might just move to USA with her husband, since she doesn't have to train with her coach in Russian anymore. But I could also see her being a coach, helping the Russian ladies to the top and maybe even coaching a lady world champion.

My hat is off to her, We love you Irina.

while I'm not a fan of MK, I hope she doesn't retire just because she's been around for so long, but because she'd rather just skate in shows...

if she retires I hope she would at least try to use her name to revive teh pro world... but I think that's been a reason in why she hasn't. I know she likes to compete, but if this were 10 years earlier she'd have plenty of competitions to be a part of in the pro world...

and now that I have made no sense at all I will just say that I hope Irina can last another season without medical problems and go out on a dazzling showing at teh Olys and Worlds!

No way. MK has stated categorically that she will skate the 2014 and have won 3 consecutive Olys.

Joe

Custom Title
    OT, (but I'm not the first to mention MK in this thread.)

Well, Michelle has been talking about the plan of post her competetive career. I never heard her mentioned the show. She has been mentioning finishing the school, getting married, having family and coaching.

Other than that I heard she is very royal to Tom Collins (because Tom took her up in COI, when she was very young had not made the name of herself, which helped her with her skating expense), if she dose any toure I would guess COI instead of SOI and COI schedule will suit her better than SOI. She can have at least half year for herself to persue other interesting things in her life.

Back to Irina, base on what she said in one of her interview (I believe it was the one Fossi constantly mentioned), I doubt she will ever move to US. There is not too much in NA attractting her except the shopping. (I quite understand that. It took me quite a while to accustom the living here). But, also based on that interview, she will be happyly jump on any opportunity that any Rusian Ice Skating show/tours could offer.

Custom Title
    Who will take over as the queen of beillman packed programs when Irina retires?
    Excidra.....I don't think Irina will be moving to the US any time soon. She doesn't seem to like America or Americans very much. (based on her interviews where she has said America is only good for shopping and salads.) I don't think she would come to the US only to make $$, since according to you, she has plenty.
    Maybe her home country, Russia, will offer her some tour spots? She would probably feel much more comfortable there.
    It will be sad when Irina retires. To the person who mentioned Michelle Kwan retiring: has she made mention of this? It would be sad to see them both go at the same time if it happens that way. What would figure skating have left, really? Kimmie maybe? Bebe, possibly? What Russian up and comers are there though? Irina seems to be their only hope.
    MZHENG: we must've posted at the same time! We think alike.
    Last edited by Fossi; 02-18-2005 at 07:25 PM.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast