Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Sorry, it is not really official..would hardly call it NEWS

Um, I read this article a couple of weeks ago, and the only thing she mentions is that the next season is most likely to be her last. She only mentions it in passing, in the context of preparations for the Olympic season: b/c it is most likely her last season, she wants to put heart in soul for her last set of programs.

I think it's no secret that Irina was planning to hang up the skates after 2006 - she has been talking about starting a family for at least 3 seasons now.

Anyways, the article is full of fluff. I would be happy to translate it this evening or tomorrow morning... Have to go to work!

Yana

I was under the impression she was going to retire after the Moscow Worlds but it makes more sense that she stay for the Olys. I can understand her wanting to skate another Worlds especially if she wins it. That'll be: The 2006 Olympic Gold Champion and 3 time World Champion. :p

Let's see

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does anyone know when Irina gave this interview? The reason why I'm asking is that I heard that Irina had a flare up of her condition before Euros and her doctors had to increase her medication -- and I think that Irina will let her health determine if she is going to Torino or not. (I want her to go, and have her and Michelle tie for gold)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yana, I would like to read your translation. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
ditzysk8r said:
Hope MK will notice and do the same, haha!

Michelle isn't preventing your favorite from moving up by any chance, is she? :biggrin:

Hikaru

Final Flight
Piel said:
Michelle isn't preventing your favorite from moving up by any chance, is she? :biggrin:

hmmm, I dunno, but for some time now (actually after watching the last performances given by both of them), whenever I see Irina or Michelle skating, I get this feeling that both of them will move on after Olys, or maybe 2006 worlds, to round up that season. :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Excidra2001

On the Ice
She's definitely done a lot to push this sport forward and the skating world will definitely miss her. Consistenly she's been one of the top ladies in the sport for so many years and her not being in the mix after next season is surreal to me.
I guess we are all wondering, what next Irina? I'm guessing SOI will give her a call, Scotty loves the personality and fire she brings to her exhibition numbers. Plus, SOI has hired top Russian skaters to do their tour and I think Irina will soon join that club. But considering that SOI skaters tour for a few months, I think Irina might just move to USA with her husband, since she doesn't have to train with her coach in Russian anymore. But I could also see her being a coach, helping the Russian ladies to the top and maybe even coaching a lady world champion.

My hat is off to her, We love you Irina. :rock:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ditzysk8r said:
Hope MK will notice and do the same, haha!

while I'm not a fan of MK, I hope she doesn't retire just because she's been around for so long, but because she'd rather just skate in shows...

if she retires I hope she would at least try to use her name to revive teh pro world... but I think that's been a reason in why she hasn't. I know she likes to compete, but if this were 10 years earlier she'd have plenty of competitions to be a part of in the pro world...

and now that I have made no sense at all I will just say that I hope Irina can last another season without medical problems and go out on a dazzling showing at teh Olys and Worlds!

mzheng

Record Breaker
OT, (but I'm not the first to mention MK in this thread.)

Well, Michelle has been talking about the plan of post her competetive career. I never heard her mentioned the show. She has been mentioning finishing the school, getting married, having family and coaching.

Other than that I heard she is very royal to Tom Collins (because Tom took her up in COI, when she was very young had not made the name of herself, which helped her with her skating expense), if she dose any toure I would guess COI instead of SOI and COI schedule will suit her better than SOI. She can have at least half year for herself to persue other interesting things in her life.

Back to Irina, base on what she said in one of her interview (I believe it was the one Fossi constantly mentioned), I doubt she will ever move to US. There is not too much in NA attractting her except the shopping. (I quite understand that. It took me quite a while to accustom the living here). But, also based on that interview, she will be happyly jump on any opportunity that any Rusian Ice Skating show/tours could offer.

Fossi

Final Flight
Who will take over as the queen of beillman packed programs when Irina retires? :laugh:
Excidra.....I don't think Irina will be moving to the US any time soon. She doesn't seem to like America or Americans very much. (based on her interviews where she has said America is only good for shopping and salads.) I don't think she would come to the US only to make $$, since according to you, she has plenty.
Maybe her home country, Russia, will offer her some tour spots? She would probably feel much more comfortable there.
It will be sad when Irina retires. To the person who mentioned Michelle Kwan retiring: has she made mention of this? It would be sad to see them both go at the same time if it happens that way. What would figure skating have left, really? Kimmie maybe? Bebe, possibly? What Russian up and comers are there though? Irina seems to be their only hope.
MZHENG: we must've posted at the same time! We think alike. :agree:

Last edited:

soogar

Record Breaker
I think Vika will probably hang around for the next Olympics. I don't think she's done all she could have done with her skating career. I wouldn't be surprised if Elena remained as well.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Fossi said:
Who will take over as the queen of beillman packed programs when Irina retires? :laugh:
Excidra.....I don't think Irina will be moving to the US any time soon. She doesn't seem to like America or Americans very much. (based on her interviews where she has said America is only good for shopping and salads.) I don't think she would come to the US only to make $$, since according to you, she has plenty.
Maybe her home country, Russia, will offer her some tour spots? She would probably feel much more comfortable there.
It will be sad when Irina retires. To the person who mentioned Michelle Kwan retiring: has she made mention of this? It would be sad to see them both go at the same time if it happens that way. What would figure skating have left, really? Kimmie maybe? Bebe, possibly? What Russian up and comers are there though? Irina seems to be their only hope.

I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Irina has plenty of money, I don't personally know her to know those type of stuff. What I said and she said is that she is financially comfortable, not the "poor" and "feel sorry skater" you and some others have made it out to be. I have read Irina say that she loves shopping in the US and loves cesar salad but would never move to the US because she loves living in Russia. Ask me if I would ever move to America, and my answer would be, NEVER. I love shopping there but I love Canada too much to leave it behind.Never have I heard/read anything about her hating Americans, I would be offended if that was the case. Do you have anything to back up the facts? As far as Irina touring/working in the USA, organizers/audience of COI love her and keep inviting her to be part of the tour(infact, she's already being advertised for the post-Olympic tour, thats star power) each year for the past 8 years. If she wins the Olympic title next season, i'm guessing SOI will really go after her.

Fossi

Final Flight
Excidra2001 said:
I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Irina has plenty of money, I don't personally know her to know those type of stuff. What I said and she said is that she is financially comfortable, not the "poor" and "feel sorry skater" you and some others have made it out to be. I have read Irina say that she loves shopping in the US and loves cesar salad but would never move to the US because she loves living in Russia. Ask me if I would ever move to America, and my answer would be, NEVER. I love shopping there but I love Canada too much to leave it behind.Never have I heard/read anything about her hating Americans, I would be offended if that was the case. Do you have anything to back up the facts? As far as Irina touring/working in the USA, organizers/audience of COI love her and keep inviting her to be part of the tour(infact, she's already being advertised for the post-Olympic tour, thats star power) each year for the past 8 years. If she wins the Olympic title next season, i'm guessing SOI will really go after her.

I have made her out to be poor and pathetic aka "feel sorry for me"? That's news to me. I'm not one of the posters that has gone from board to board during the past few years discussing how "poor" Irina is having to pay for the medical bills of her father, mother and self. I believe I even read some stuff about this on ISFF. (Don't mean to "board drag, but this is where some of the perception may have come from about Irina's financial situation) Also, every post I read by some of her uber fans praise her for skating while she is so sick. Sorry, but if that's not encouraging a "feel sorry for Irina" attitude, then I don't know what is. I am the first to step up and say that if she is so sick she shouldn't be skating and that nobody should feel sorry for her. I'm not sure why you think I am trying to make her out to be a poor and pathetic aka feel sorry for person.
If you're talking about the post I made about her posing for the photos, I only posted about something I read on another board. I never said that it was my thought that she was posing for $$.
As far as her not liking Americans, there have been several Irina comments made that have been negative towards Americans. She called Americans "stupid" at SLC, she criticized American skating fans, and American skaters Sarah Hughes and Michelle Kwan. She has also said comments suggesting the only good thing about America is shopping and salad. There was also an interview after Worlds '01 where Irina flat out refused to speak to the reporters in English. Those are some examples I have. I believe those are fact. I know you're a huge fan of hers, but her comments speak for themselves.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Fossi said:
I have made her out to be poor and pathetic aka "feel sorry for me"? That's news to me. I'm not one of the posters that has gone from board to board during the past few years discussing how "poor" Irina is having to pay for the medical bills of her father, mother and self. I believe I even read some stuff about this on ISFF. (Don't mean to "board drag, but this is where some of the perception may have come from about Irina's financial situation) Also, every post I read by some of her uber fans praise her for skating while she is so sick. Sorry, but if that's not encouraging a "feel sorry for Irina" attitude, then I don't know what is. I am the first to step up and say that if she is so sick she shouldn't be skating and that nobody should feel sorry for her. I'm not sure why you think I am trying to make her out to be a poor and pathetic aka feel sorry for person.
If you're talking about the post I made about her posing for the photos, I only posted about something I read on another board. I never said that it was my thought that she was posing for $$.
As far as her not liking Americans, there have been several Irina comments made that have been negative towards Americans. She called Americans "stupid" at SLC, she criticized American skating fans, and American skaters Sarah Hughes and Michelle Kwan. She has also said comments suggesting the only good thing about America is shopping and salad. There was also an interview after Worlds '01 where Irina flat out refused to speak to the reporters in English. Those are some examples I have. I believe those are fact. I know you're a huge fan of hers, but her comments speak for themselves.

I'm a huge fan but i'm not going to turn a blind eye when she makes negative comment towards some people(or people in general) but again, I have never heard/read the facts that your stating above. As far as not speaking to reporters in English, who said it was a must? plus there is two sides to a story and your telling me only one side. How come Irina decided not to speak english? what caused her to feel that way? Maybe she felt having a Russian translator there,she would be able to say more and express her feelings fully. I don't know, I wasn't there and i'm not making excuses for her but i'm not going to sit there and agree with one party without the full facts and without hearing what both parties have to say.

As far as Irina's comeback, I praise anyone who goes up against all odds and comes out on top. In Irina's case, that was it. Instead of feeling sorry for her self and sitting in a hospital room and crying her self to death, she decided being extremely sick and going in and out of the hospital was not the kind of life she set out for her self and she did something about it. The simple fact that she is doing what she loves is why her fans(including myself) praise her. She is a true inspiration for people who are going through trying times and who feel their life is coming to an end because of a disease they are battling. I'm a firm believer in "what can't hurt you only makes you stronger" look what it has done for Slutskaya, Armstrong(beat cancer) and many other top athletes who are helping change the face of sport.

Last edited:

millie

Medalist
:rock: :rock: I can recall when Irina first came onto the skating scene, she was a chubby, red cheeked little girl. She has blossomed into a beautiful young woman. I think that she is one of the most down-to-earth figure skaters and she is going to be sadly missed when she retires. She was always a good competitor and was always like a breath off fresh air when she was skating. I wish her the best of luck in whatever she does after she retires. :rock: