Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 121

Thread: Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,977
    I think Vika will probably hang around for the next Olympics. I don't think she's done all she could have done with her skating career. I wouldn't be surprised if Elena remained as well.

  2. #17
    Minority member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    Who will take over as the queen of beillman packed programs when Irina retires?
    Excidra.....I don't think Irina will be moving to the US any time soon. She doesn't seem to like America or Americans very much. (based on her interviews where she has said America is only good for shopping and salads.) I don't think she would come to the US only to make $$, since according to you, she has plenty.
    Maybe her home country, Russia, will offer her some tour spots? She would probably feel much more comfortable there.
    It will be sad when Irina retires. To the person who mentioned Michelle Kwan retiring: has she made mention of this? It would be sad to see them both go at the same time if it happens that way. What would figure skating have left, really? Kimmie maybe? Bebe, possibly? What Russian up and comers are there though? Irina seems to be their only hope.
    I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Irina has plenty of money, I don't personally know her to know those type of stuff. What I said and she said is that she is financially comfortable, not the "poor" and "feel sorry skater" you and some others have made it out to be. I have read Irina say that she loves shopping in the US and loves cesar salad but would never move to the US because she loves living in Russia. Ask me if I would ever move to America, and my answer would be, NEVER. I love shopping there but I love Canada too much to leave it behind.Never have I heard/read anything about her hating Americans, I would be offended if that was the case. Do you have anything to back up the facts? As far as Irina touring/working in the USA, organizers/audience of COI love her and keep inviting her to be part of the tour(infact, she's already being advertised for the post-Olympic tour, thats star power) each year for the past 8 years. If she wins the Olympic title next season, i'm guessing SOI will really go after her.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Excidra2001
    I would appreciate it if you don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Irina has plenty of money, I don't personally know her to know those type of stuff. What I said and she said is that she is financially comfortable, not the "poor" and "feel sorry skater" you and some others have made it out to be. I have read Irina say that she loves shopping in the US and loves cesar salad but would never move to the US because she loves living in Russia. Ask me if I would ever move to America, and my answer would be, NEVER. I love shopping there but I love Canada too much to leave it behind.Never have I heard/read anything about her hating Americans, I would be offended if that was the case. Do you have anything to back up the facts? As far as Irina touring/working in the USA, organizers/audience of COI love her and keep inviting her to be part of the tour(infact, she's already being advertised for the post-Olympic tour, thats star power) each year for the past 8 years. If she wins the Olympic title next season, i'm guessing SOI will really go after her.
    I have made her out to be poor and pathetic aka "feel sorry for me"? That's news to me. I'm not one of the posters that has gone from board to board during the past few years discussing how "poor" Irina is having to pay for the medical bills of her father, mother and self. I believe I even read some stuff about this on ISFF. (Don't mean to "board drag, but this is where some of the perception may have come from about Irina's financial situation) Also, every post I read by some of her uber fans praise her for skating while she is so sick. Sorry, but if that's not encouraging a "feel sorry for Irina" attitude, then I don't know what is. I am the first to step up and say that if she is so sick she shouldn't be skating and that nobody should feel sorry for her. I'm not sure why you think I am trying to make her out to be a poor and pathetic aka feel sorry for person.
    If you're talking about the post I made about her posing for the photos, I only posted about something I read on another board. I never said that it was my thought that she was posing for $$.
    As far as her not liking Americans, there have been several Irina comments made that have been negative towards Americans. She called Americans "stupid" at SLC, she criticized American skating fans, and American skaters Sarah Hughes and Michelle Kwan. She has also said comments suggesting the only good thing about America is shopping and salad. There was also an interview after Worlds '01 where Irina flat out refused to speak to the reporters in English. Those are some examples I have. I believe those are fact. I know you're a huge fan of hers, but her comments speak for themselves.

  4. #19
    Minority member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    I have made her out to be poor and pathetic aka "feel sorry for me"? That's news to me. I'm not one of the posters that has gone from board to board during the past few years discussing how "poor" Irina is having to pay for the medical bills of her father, mother and self. I believe I even read some stuff about this on ISFF. (Don't mean to "board drag, but this is where some of the perception may have come from about Irina's financial situation) Also, every post I read by some of her uber fans praise her for skating while she is so sick. Sorry, but if that's not encouraging a "feel sorry for Irina" attitude, then I don't know what is. I am the first to step up and say that if she is so sick she shouldn't be skating and that nobody should feel sorry for her. I'm not sure why you think I am trying to make her out to be a poor and pathetic aka feel sorry for person.
    If you're talking about the post I made about her posing for the photos, I only posted about something I read on another board. I never said that it was my thought that she was posing for $$.
    As far as her not liking Americans, there have been several Irina comments made that have been negative towards Americans. She called Americans "stupid" at SLC, she criticized American skating fans, and American skaters Sarah Hughes and Michelle Kwan. She has also said comments suggesting the only good thing about America is shopping and salad. There was also an interview after Worlds '01 where Irina flat out refused to speak to the reporters in English. Those are some examples I have. I believe those are fact. I know you're a huge fan of hers, but her comments speak for themselves.
    I'm a huge fan but i'm not going to turn a blind eye when she makes negative comment towards some people(or people in general) but again, I have never heard/read the facts that your stating above. As far as not speaking to reporters in English, who said it was a must? plus there is two sides to a story and your telling me only one side. How come Irina decided not to speak english? what caused her to feel that way? Maybe she felt having a Russian translator there,she would be able to say more and express her feelings fully. I don't know, I wasn't there and i'm not making excuses for her but i'm not going to sit there and agree with one party without the full facts and without hearing what both parties have to say.

    As far as Irina's comeback, I praise anyone who goes up against all odds and comes out on top. In Irina's case, that was it. Instead of feeling sorry for her self and sitting in a hospital room and crying her self to death, she decided being extremely sick and going in and out of the hospital was not the kind of life she set out for her self and she did something about it. The simple fact that she is doing what she loves is why her fans(including myself) praise her. She is a true inspiration for people who are going through trying times and who feel their life is coming to an end because of a disease they are battling. I'm a firm believer in "what can't hurt you only makes you stronger" look what it has done for Slutskaya, Armstrong(beat cancer) and many other top athletes who are helping change the face of sport.
    Last edited by Excidra2001; 02-18-2005 at 09:24 PM.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    989
    I can recall when Irina first came onto the skating scene, she was a chubby, red cheeked little girl. She has blossomed into a beautiful young woman. I think that she is one of the most down-to-earth figure skaters and she is going to be sadly missed when she retires. She was always a good competitor and was always like a breath off fresh air when she was skating. I wish her the best of luck in whatever she does after she retires.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    821
    Ifr she wins the Olympic gold or not she will still be courageous in my book.

  7. #22
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Excidra, thanks for the news that Irina has signed with COI through the 2006 tour. She is certainly well recieved by American audiences. She got especially rave reviews for Cotton Eyed Joe.

    I can see her staying with COI more so than SOI. It seems a lot less grueling, plus all of her friends are there.

    Mathman

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    778

    Here's the translation

    I couldn't find the right words in few cases, I am sorry.

    Here is the article:

    How do you explain the not so confident skate?

    Because the FS is a sport. I was capable of successful skates at a couple of competitions early in the season – the GP qualifiers and the final. It was not the case in Turin. I will work on mistakes, so that my showing at the WC in Moscow is respectable (? – struggling for a right word here, Yana)

    After a one year absence, you started competing at a higher level…

    Well it just that I missed FS. Also, this year I had very successful competitions where I got myself prepared with full physical training program (FPT).

    Could you elaborate on your physical training?

    My physical trainer, Viktor Vasilievich Kozlov, has a special program for me. We began training in the mountains, and as the season progressed we started working out using FPT a couple of times a week. Also, the intensity of the training depends on my competitive schedule and health. The program included various types of athletic exercises.

    This current season you have an original musical arrangement for both of your programs. Who was selecting the music?

    The merit belongs to my coach and choreographer. Of course, I had a say as well, but mostly for the final approval.

    Where there any moments when you didn’t approve?

    When we try to come up with the music – all the time. Work on the program is an artistic process. At the start I didn’t feel that Shostakovich part was fitting. I was actively persuaded to give it a try and then they had to convince me to use a composition. They kept saying, “it’s you!”. During the process of putting the program together, I got to like the character I was portraying on the ice. Now I am in love with that program. It’s mine!

    After several seasons of skating to classical music, you have decided to try something new. Why?

    I had skated to all the classics already! Just kidding. It is just that I consider myself a versatile athlete, so I want to try something new at all times. There are quite a lot of classical programs in use currently. It is timeless, you can’t go wrong. But after a number of years of “paying respect” to classics, you have this deep desire to try to experiment.

    Do you have any ideas for the Olympic season?

    My coach Zhanna Fedorovna Grommova has some ideas; she even shared them with me. We are already looking for music, etc… I think we will find the right version. Next season is most likely be my last, I will try to put all of my soul into the Olympic programs. It was very handy to skate in Turin a year ahead of the Games, to test the ice, to get familiar with local specifics.

    Isn’t it a shame that ladies always skate last in all FS competitions?

    Sure is! You can’t even imagine how great it is to finish first and to watch how others are skating.

    The new judging system seems to garner 2 opinions. One is that it forces a program to have a limited number of elements, not just jumps. Others are convinced that faceless scores are killing the art (not clear on this one, very confusing, sorry – Yana).

    Quite on the contrary, programs have become not only more difficult but more interesting too. But the problem is that we still have a subjective judging. You still have the humans scoring and assigning the difficulty levels of the elements. The sport is subjective. We don’t race to make the time like in the athletics, we don’t hit the ball in the court like tennis – everything is up to judges’ free will. But the programs still have all opportunities to increase artistry levels.

    What amongst the new rules in FS do you like the most?

    To skate in pants. I really like these types of outfits. They allow a lot of creative work for the designers and you can even look more unique and original. Not too mention that it hides my bandaged knee.

    End.


    as you can see, she mentions it in passing. No official statement here.

    Yana

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by ditzysk8r
    Hope MK will notice and do the same, haha!
    US national gold medal will hopefully be in the good hands of some of the best young skaters e.g. BeBe, Kimmie. or Katy in the next olympic cycle, 06 - 10 if MK retires right after olympic 2006. Cohen will probably win many more silver medals at nationals. So by the time Cohen retires, she will go down in US history as a skater who wins the most # of national silver.

    Actually there is an article about Arakawa thinking about retiring after 06, so internationally young skaters e.g. Miki, Mao Asada etc will probablly give Kimmie, Katy, and BeBe some stiff competitiions. Hope the skating gods smile upon Cohen and don't let her self destruction too much, and bless her with a world bronze from time to time
    Last edited by gezando; 02-19-2005 at 12:28 PM.

  10. #25
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,253
    Thanks for the translation, Yana. I found the part about selecting music and working with the choreography to be very interesting. Also the part about pants, LOL. I have to agree -- she looks good in them!

    Mathman

  11. #26
    Figure Skating Fan Hikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    854
    Thanks for the translating Yana. I enjoy reading and watching Irina's interviews, she seems in a good mood, and I also liked what she said on the music, how she didn't like it at first and then at the end she was in love with it. It is good that the athletes try new things like that. Although I always like the skater dresses, I think the pants given them more variety as well. It was a nice interview

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Thanks, Yana. Always enjoy your translation.

  13. #28
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossi
    Who will take over as the queen of beillman packed programs when Irina retires?
    Oh, I think Evgeny gives us plenty of Biellmanns!

  14. #29
    SkateFan4Life
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Excidra2001
    As far as Irina's comeback, I praise anyone who goes up against all odds and comes out on top. In Irina's case, that was it. Instead of feeling sorry for her self and sitting in a hospital room and crying her self to death, she decided being extremely sick and going in and out of the hospital was not the kind of life she set out for her self and she did something about it. The simple fact that she is doing what she loves is why her fans(including myself) praise her. She is a true inspiration for people who are going through trying times and who feel their life is coming to an end because of a disease they are battling. I'm a firm believer in "what can't hurt you only makes you stronger" look what it has done for Slutskaya, Armstrong(beat cancer) and many other top athletes who are helping change the face of sport.
    IMHO, Irina deserves high praise for getting back on the ice and getting herself back into competitive shape. I hope she skates her best at the Worlds, Olympics, and any other competitions she participates in. This woman's spirit and tenacity is outstanding, and I applaud her for it. Do I think she's the best skater in the world at this time? No, but that doesn't diminish one bit in my admiration of her for coming back to the sport she so obviously loves.

  15. #30
    Figure Skating Fan Hikaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Panama
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan4Life
    IMHO, Irina deserves high praise for getting back on the ice and getting herself back into competitive shape. I hope she skates her best at the Worlds, Olympics, and any other competitions she participates in. This woman's spirit and tenacity is outstanding, and I applaud her for it. Do I think she's the best skater in the world at this time? No, but that doesn't diminish one bit in my admiration of her for coming back to the sport she so obviously loves.
    I agree with you. I think Irina has decided to take control of her life, instead of letting her illness take control of her. It takes a lot of strength and will power, and I applaud that.
    Last edited by Hikaru; 02-19-2005 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Compilations on Hughes; Cohen; Nikodenov; Goebel; & Yagudin!
    By springerluv in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 11:59 AM
  2. Extensive, updated list of tapes for trading or copying...
    By springerluv in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 07:08 PM
  3. 2002 Olympics - Irina Slutskaya
    By BronzeisGolden02 in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:32 PM
  4. Newest list of tapes available for trading/copying
    By springerluv in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 01:39 AM
  5. List of Tapes available for trading/copying - updated 12-02
    By springerluv in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2002, 11:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •