Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

chuckm said:
Having read pbps of the 4CC competition, I can tell you that Biellmann's are spreading like wildfire, for both men and women. I think it's only matter of time before the ISU puts limits on the number of times the Biellmann can be used in a single program. When the Biellmann is an element in every spin and in the Spiral sequence as well, it tends to wear out its novelty.

I can just see if a skater in competition thinks he/she needs an extra few points to win the competition, instead of adding another triple, he/she will just do a fancy footwork into a bielman spiral. How clever!! but it will get the extra points.

What I would like to see in a Bielman is the body arched and the legs way up there but not with the hands holding this position. That would really mean flexibility. The ability to raise your legs up in that arched position without the assistance of your hands. Think about it. Can't you see Lambiel doing that with different arm positions? :) I can see Sasha in a charlotte then raising her body to the bielman arch and have her arms move backward and upward (like a swan) and compliment that position soley on its own. đź‘Ť that to me would really be a toughie.

I think the same way as for the Y spin and the I spin, but hey, that's me. If you need support to hold up the leg, you are not all that flexible.

Joe

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
I can just see if a skater in competition thinks he/she needs an extra few points to win the competition, instead of adding another triple, he/she will just do a fancy footwork into a bielman spiral. How clever!! but it will get the extra points.

What I would like to see in a Bielman is the body arched and the legs way up there but not with the hands holding this position. That would really mean flexibility. The ability to raise your legs up in that arched position without the assistance of your hands. Think about it. Can't you see Lambiel doing that with different arm positions? :) I can see Sasha in a charlotte then raising her body to the bielman arch and have her arms move backward and upward (like a swan) and compliment that position soley on its own. đź‘Ť that to me would really be a toughie.

I think the same way as for the Y spin and the I spin, but hey, that's me. If you need support to hold up the leg, you are not all that flexible.

Joe

I think most of the skaters can do it as a stationary position (I know I've done it once or twice in ballet), but I think the laws of physics would be against that...

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Pro Competitions

If IRINA, MICHELLE, SHIZUKA, and possibly FUMIE all turn Pro after the Olympics(which is very likely), I think we'll see more Pro Competitions again. The way it is these days with only YUKA, OKSANA and KRISTI able to do triples, now that NANCY is doing the family thing, and MARIA isn't skating much, they just weren't able to fill the field for the Ladies competitions. Without full fields for the Ladies, the sponsors cut back, waiting for better times, and we lost a lot of Pro skating telecasts.
I think for the good of skating, these Ladies should retire and turn the sport over to the younger ladies, SASHA, MIKI, JENNY, KIMMIE, BEBE, KATY, and the other young North American, European and Asian skaters. I think if they do, it should restore Pro skating and the new names on the ISU podiums will help bring new excitement to the elegible competitions. It is important that both the Pro and Elegible Worlds are healthy, because they promote each other, and if one catches a cold, the other gets sick too.

tripleflutz

wvgal57

On the Ice
As a representative of Irina, running her official board,

Poor Fossi, telling someone to get a grip when it's you who is all hot and bothered! Chill out child because it's not good for your heart or health, perhaps mommy needs to check on you! I wonder why these same little phrases keep showing up! Get a grip why don't you?

And, here we go again ..You once again don't have your facts straight. Perhaps some one needs to return to school. I am not an offical at ISFF, not administrator, nor representative. Simply a fan and a poster. I represent me, myself and I! Why do I think you knew that already, just another excuse to board drag.

Something else you are wrong about too.. I have NEVER posted anything regarding Irina's finances. The "poor" rumor most likely started with the same crew that started the "she is retiring after Moscow" rumor and carried it from board to board..

As for her contributing to her mothers medical bills, she does make the big bucks so it is expected that she'd help defray her mothers medical costs. I would hope any child would do the same for their parent if financially able.

I've also never intimated anything to the fact that Irina was skating for money, I take Irina at her word that she missed the atmosphere, missed the competition. She's kept the same schedule this year that she always kept and the prize $ is nothing now compared to what it used to be. She's simply been out there doing what athletes normally do - compete! I don't think there is any doubt where her heart is.

As for her photos, any woman who is powerful enough to set her own conditions and demand her own price :agree: gets my kudos! She :rock:

Fossi

Final Flight
oh, you're right wvgal. I'm a child in school and you're my school mate. :p Unfortunately for you, you've missed your nap time and are especially grumpy today. Good thing for Irina that you're not a representative because you're looking awful ridiculous right about now. But don't you run her OFFICIAL board? :rofl:
You're acting like someone just stole your Halloween candy! If you insist on your childish name-calling and immature tactics, please take it to the personal messages, or I may have to tell the teacher on you. I'm sure you don't want detention :cry:

Last edited:

wvgal57

On the Ice
I used "chill out child" just like you used "get a grip". I apologize for interpreting ing you wrong. Sounding childish, acting childish and simply being a child are much different.

Getting took to task for having your facts wrong is a part of life and it seems like you have a problem with getting called on wrong statements. And yes, yet again you have your information wrong. I have no involvement in Irina's official fan site, never have and never made any claim too.

Hmmm. do I sense a pattern here.

Fossi

Final Flight
:rofl: :p :rofl:

You're strange wvgal. You freaked out and took comments about Irina personally, and now you're seeing a pattern? I don't even hardly know you, except that I've read your board before and knew your name. Oh, and we're in the same class and if we keep it are going to get called to the office.
Give it a rest sweetie. You're starting to really look ridiculous and I'd prefer not having to stay after school because of this issue.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It makes sense that Irina would want to leave after the Olympics (or worlds), but it seems that she has to do it "the Kwan way" and take it day by day because of her illness. Didn't it flare up again before the European Championships? Did it contribute in any way to her not-so-hot performance in the FS? I would have said before that she is a shoo-in for gold, but I'm not so sure anymore. I still think she is a shoo-in for the PODIUM though. She may or may not win, but she will be on there somewhere (barring withdrawal), I can almost shake on it.

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
Personally, I find the obsequious fawning of Irina fans to be as barf-inducing as the righteous indignation of rabid Kwanatics. Yes, we get it, Irina has earned the respect and admiration of many figure skating fans for her determination and courage to continue skating at the highest level despite her recent illness and adversity. No need to flog a dead horse all the way to Moscow and Turino. And for those who feel obliged to trot out Michelle's detailed list of accomplishments whenever someone mentions that she may not make the podium at this year's Wolds: the ice is slippery, and previous accolades are not an indication of how things will turn out. Yes, Michelle is probably the most decorated and successful ladies figure skater in the last twenty years, and possibly of all time. So what? There may come a time when her multiple records and wins will be surpassed (though realistically speaking, I don't think it will happen in the near future).

As for wvgal57, yes we know you are Irina's #1 fan. Perhaps you should put it in your signature so you can save us all the time of reading your posts. Funny how you persistently emphasize the fact that you do not run her official forum and have nothing to do with her in any official capacity, yet everytime someone so much as makes a slightly negative comment or expresses an alternative viewpoint, you take it personally (as Fossi says) and launch into a diatribe against said poster, as if you feel compelled to "defend her honor". Irina may not be Cruella de Vil, but I doubt that she is Mother Teresa; she probably falls somewhere in between as she is human, like all of us are and therefore not perfect. Are you her PA? Or part of her PR team? Because you act very much like it.

On the matter of Irina's supposed retirement from the eligible ranks, are you 100% sure that Irina will hang up her skates after the 2005/2006 season? Do you know her personally? Has she spoken to you about it? No. For all we know, Irina may be forced to retire earlier if her illness makes it impossible for her to go on competing. As Yana mentioned in her translation, "most likely" doesn't mean "most definitely". So why not give her the benefit of the doubt?

BTW, just in case anyone needs to be reminded, this is Golden Skates forum, not "I like (insert name of skater) forum" or "let's bash (insert name of skater) forum". I joined this forum because I believe that through the interaction and exchange of opinions, ideas and information, my knowledge and appreciation of figure skating would increase (and thanks to all who have "enlightened" me!). I really don't care if Irina posed for those pics because she needed the money, or whether Sasha's journals are written by her PR team etc Why? Because these matters are just heresay and speculation, and they are not related to Irina and Sasha in terms of their skating. Oh sure, it can be fun sometimes to make irreverent and humorous posts, but when things degenerate to name-calling and "you said this and I did not say that", then I think it defeats the whole purpose of the original, lighthearted tone. Now can we get back to the discussion of figure skating?

Last edited:
That was a powerfully presented post, Michael.:agree: But when it comes to outrageous gushing and rushing willy-nilly into the fray in defense of our favorites, to me, there is another point of view. For some reason, this sport arouses passions and personal loyalties far beyond reason.

I know this, because, although I like lots and lots of skaters, in my secret heart, Michelle can do no wrong. Not that this has anything to do with reality, of course. But then, if I wanted reality, I wouldn't watch figure skating. In this Never-never land all the girls are pretty, all the boys are dashing, and fie (fie, I say!) on anyone who dares to suggest that Michelle needs to add more turns in the opposite direction in her straight-line footwork.

Personally, I am glad that Fossi feels the same way about her Sarah and WVgal about her Irina (without, of course, feeling it necessary to tear down the other person's choice).

JMO.

Mathman

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
tripleflutz said:
If IRINA, MICHELLE, SHIZUKA, and possibly FUMIE all turn Pro after the Olympics(which is very likely), I think we'll see more Pro Competitions again. The way it is these days with only YUKA, OKSANA and KRISTI able to do triples, now that NANCY is doing the family thing, and MARIA isn't skating much, they just weren't able to fill the field for the Ladies competitions. Without full fields for the Ladies, the sponsors cut back, waiting for better times, and we lost a lot of Pro skating telecasts.
I think for the good of skating, these Ladies should retire and turn the sport over to the younger ladies, SASHA, MIKI, JENNY, KIMMIE, BEBE, KATY, and the other young North American, European and Asian skaters. I think if they do, it should restore Pro skating and the new names on the ISU podiums will help bring new excitement to the elegible competitions. It is important that both the Pro and Elegible Worlds are healthy, because they promote each other, and if one catches a cold, the other gets sick too.

tripleflutz

I NEVER think skaters should retire "for the good of skating". Skaters should retire when it's in their best interest to do so, and then only if they want to. If Sasha, Miki, Jenny, Kimmie, BeBe and Katy can't win because they can't beat Irina, Michelle, Fumie and Shizuka, then maybe they're just not ready for the top of the podium.

Certainly, Sasha, in her 6th season competing as a Senior, has had plenty of opportunities to win Nationals and Worlds. She hasn't won because she hasn't skated well enough. Even if Irina, Michelle, Fumie and Shizuka stepped aside, there's STILL no guarantee that Sasha would win.

Shizuka won her first World title at the ripe old age of 22, and at that point she had been competing as a senior skater since 1993--12 seasons. Maybe some people thought it was time for her to retire, too.

BTW, there are hardly any pro competitions any more, and there is little likelihood of them being resurrected any time soon. When you can't see the World Figure Skating Championships on network TV, you know figure skating has hit a low in popularity. There are really only two touring companies, COI and SOI, and SOI is becoming a hard contract to get for many skaters, especially the non-North American ones.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Mathman said:
Personally, I am glad that Fossi feels the same way about her Sarah
Mathman

No offense, Fossi is not lost he/she developed thick skin, she is still able to like other skaters who had been Sarah's majore competetors. I see his/her compliments to Sasha and Michelle sometimes. ;). JMO.

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
Mathman said:
That was a powerfully presented post, Michael.:agree: But when it comes to outrageous gushing and rushing willy-nilly into the fray in defense of our favorites, to me, there is another point of view. For some reason, this sport arouses passions and personal loyalties far beyond reason.

I know this, because, although I like lots and lots of skaters, in my secret heart, Michelle can do no wrong. Not that this has anything to do with reality, of course. But then, if I wanted reality, I wouldn't watch figure skating. In this Never-never land all the girls are pretty, all the boys are dashing, and fie (fie, I say!) on anyone who dares to suggest that Michelle needs to add more turns in the opposite direction in her straight-line footwork.

Personally, I am glad that Fossi feels the same way about her Sarah and WVgal about her Irina (without, of course, feeling it necessary to tear down the other person's choice).

JMO.

Mathman

Thanx, Mathman. I perfectly understand your point of view about how figure skating and certain figure skaters arouse passions and loyalties far beyond reason. I for one am thankful that the sport has such passionate enthusiasts and advocates. Very interesting to note that you are a Michelle fan; this is the first time I've seen you gush about her. :) It's fine when Irina's courage and determination to succeed in spite of her health problems are mentioned initially, but when it gets repeated ad infinitum on different forums, then it gets a bit nauseating. Why preach to the converted? As for Irina's decision to retire after Torino 2006, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to make an educated guess that she would want to try and win the Olympic gold next year, especially since she finished second in SLC. It bugs me that those who make "pronouncements" about her decision to compete or retire in such an authoritative manner have never even met her or know her personally.

I have never understood why fans of Skater X have to bash Skater Y in order to make a point. As far as I'm concerned, that's just shows that they have a superiority complex or are insecure. Whether it's Irina, Shizuka, Michelle, Sasha etc I believe each skater has his/her own strengths and weaknesses, but it's more constructive to appreciate the former than to focus on the latter. For those who have given Sarah such a hard time, I can only say this: Sarah didn't have to resort to conspiracy or knee bashing to get her Olympic gold medal, she skated to the best of her ability that night and deservedly won it fair and square. The irony here is that the harshest criticisms have probably come from so-called "figure skating fans" who can't even execute a single toe loop, let alone attempt the triple combinations Sarah did. Oh well, you know how the old saying goes -- people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ;)

mzheng

Record Breaker
michaelfsfan said:
The irony here is that the harshest criticisms have probably come from so-called "figure skating fans" who can't even execute a single toe loop, let alone attempt the triple combinations Sarah did. Oh well, you know how the old saying goes -- people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. ;)

If that's the qualifying for criticising, then 50% of posters in most fourums are disqualifying to post. :sheesh:

euterpe

Medalist
You don't have to be a musician to enjoy a concert, or to notice when one of the reed instruments is off-pitch. You don't have to be an opera singer to know that Cio-Cio San's high note at the end of "Un Bel Di" is flat. You don't have to be an actor to notice that an actor's gone off book during a Broadway show, or someone's missed an entrance. And you don't have to be a figure skater to see that Irina double-footed a jump or Miki left off the 2T from the 3Z.

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
I was referring to criticisms of how Sarah did not deserve to be the SLC Olympic champion and not her general skating style or technical ability.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina sure feels that Sarah should not have won the OGM, and she is a skater (Irina thinks she, herself, was the true winner).

euterpe said:
You don't have to be a musician to enjoy a concert, or to notice when one of the reed instruments is off-pitch. You don't have to be an opera singer to know that Cio-Cio San's high note at the end of "Un Bel Di" is flat. You don't have to be an actor to notice that an actor's gone off book during a Broadway show, or someone's missed an entrance. And you don't have to be a figure skater to see that Irina double-footed a jump or Miki left off the 2T from the 3Z.
But judges do!! Check out Baiul's LP on the double foot jumps.

Joe

michaelfsfan

Rinkside
chuckm said:
Irina sure feels that Sarah should not have won the OGM, and she is a skater (Irina thinks she, herself, was the true winner).

True, but Irina also showed a blatant disrespect for the judges and an appalling lack of sportsmanship when she was caught on camera calling them "stupid pigs". Not exactly the qualities we would associate with an Olympic champion. At least Michelle gracefully conceded that she had not performed her best, and went on to win three more world championship medals after SLC. Unlike Irina who, three years later, still cannot let go and recently mentioned in a newspaper interview that her gold medal at Europeans was "perhaps it’s for all my suffering, for all those years when I was unfairly placed 4th, for the Olympics."

ETA: It wasn't as if the LP results were a clear 5/4 split in favor of Sarah; Irina received two 2nd place ordinals (FIN, USA), two 3rd place ordinals (GER, CAN) and one 4th place ordinal (ITA).

Last edited: