Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 121

Thread: Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

  1. #46
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    132
    I used "chill out child" just like you used "get a grip". I apologize for interpreting ing you wrong. Sounding childish, acting childish and simply being a child are much different.

    Getting took to task for having your facts wrong is a part of life and it seems like you have a problem with getting called on wrong statements. And yes, yet again you have your information wrong. I have no involvement in Irina's official fan site, never have and never made any claim too.

    Hmmm. do I sense a pattern here.

  2. #47
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    696


    You're strange wvgal. You freaked out and took comments about Irina personally, and now you're seeing a pattern? I don't even hardly know you, except that I've read your board before and knew your name. Oh, and we're in the same class and if we keep it are going to get called to the office.
    Give it a rest sweetie. You're starting to really look ridiculous and I'd prefer not having to stay after school because of this issue.
    Last edited by Fossi; 02-21-2005 at 08:05 PM.

  3. #48
    Down With It
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,484
    It makes sense that Irina would want to leave after the Olympics (or worlds), but it seems that she has to do it "the Kwan way" and take it day by day because of her illness. Didn't it flare up again before the European Championships? Did it contribute in any way to her not-so-hot performance in the FS? I would have said before that she is a shoo-in for gold, but I'm not so sure anymore. I still think she is a shoo-in for the PODIUM though. She may or may not win, but she will be on there somewhere (barring withdrawal), I can almost shake on it.

  4. #49
    Da' Spellin' Homegirl Grgranny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,144
    I am getting my noodles out to soak!

  5. #50
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    Posts
    67
    Personally, I find the obsequious fawning of Irina fans to be as barf-inducing as the righteous indignation of rabid Kwanatics. Yes, we get it, Irina has earned the respect and admiration of many figure skating fans for her determination and courage to continue skating at the highest level despite her recent illness and adversity. No need to flog a dead horse all the way to Moscow and Turino. And for those who feel obliged to trot out Michelle's detailed list of accomplishments whenever someone mentions that she may not make the podium at this year's Wolds: the ice is slippery, and previous accolades are not an indication of how things will turn out. Yes, Michelle is probably the most decorated and successful ladies figure skater in the last twenty years, and possibly of all time. So what? There may come a time when her multiple records and wins will be surpassed (though realistically speaking, I don't think it will happen in the near future).

    As for wvgal57, yes we know you are Irina's #1 fan. Perhaps you should put it in your signature so you can save us all the time of reading your posts. Funny how you persistently emphasize the fact that you do not run her official forum and have nothing to do with her in any official capacity, yet everytime someone so much as makes a slightly negative comment or expresses an alternative viewpoint, you take it personally (as Fossi says) and launch into a diatribe against said poster, as if you feel compelled to "defend her honor". Irina may not be Cruella de Vil, but I doubt that she is Mother Teresa; she probably falls somewhere in between as she is human, like all of us are and therefore not perfect. Are you her PA? Or part of her PR team? Because you act very much like it.

    On the matter of Irina's supposed retirement from the eligible ranks, are you 100% sure that Irina will hang up her skates after the 2005/2006 season? Do you know her personally? Has she spoken to you about it? No. For all we know, Irina may be forced to retire earlier if her illness makes it impossible for her to go on competing. As Yana mentioned in her translation, "most likely" doesn't mean "most definitely". So why not give her the benefit of the doubt?

    BTW, just in case anyone needs to be reminded, this is Golden Skates forum, not "I like (insert name of skater) forum" or "let's bash (insert name of skater) forum". I joined this forum because I believe that through the interaction and exchange of opinions, ideas and information, my knowledge and appreciation of figure skating would increase (and thanks to all who have "enlightened" me!). I really don't care if Irina posed for those pics because she needed the money, or whether Sasha's journals are written by her PR team etc Why? Because these matters are just heresay and speculation, and they are not related to Irina and Sasha in terms of their skating. Oh sure, it can be fun sometimes to make irreverent and humorous posts, but when things degenerate to name-calling and "you said this and I did not say that", then I think it defeats the whole purpose of the original, lighthearted tone. Now can we get back to the discussion of figure skating?
    Last edited by michaelfsfan; 02-22-2005 at 10:34 AM.

  6. #51
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,101
    That was a powerfully presented post, Michael. But when it comes to outrageous gushing and rushing willy-nilly into the fray in defense of our favorites, to me, there is another point of view. For some reason, this sport arouses passions and personal loyalties far beyond reason.

    I know this, because, although I like lots and lots of skaters, in my secret heart, Michelle can do no wrong. Not that this has anything to do with reality, of course. But then, if I wanted reality, I wouldn't watch figure skating. In this Never-never land all the girls are pretty, all the boys are dashing, and fie (fie, I say!) on anyone who dares to suggest that Michelle needs to add more turns in the opposite direction in her straight-line footwork.

    Personally, I am glad that Fossi feels the same way about her Sarah and WVgal about her Irina (without, of course, feeling it necessary to tear down the other person's choice).

    JMO.

    Mathman

  7. #52
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,268
    Quote Originally Posted by tripleflutz
    If IRINA, MICHELLE, SHIZUKA, and possibly FUMIE all turn Pro after the Olympics(which is very likely), I think we'll see more Pro Competitions again. The way it is these days with only YUKA, OKSANA and KRISTI able to do triples, now that NANCY is doing the family thing, and MARIA isn't skating much, they just weren't able to fill the field for the Ladies competitions. Without full fields for the Ladies, the sponsors cut back, waiting for better times, and we lost a lot of Pro skating telecasts.
    I think for the good of skating, these Ladies should retire and turn the sport over to the younger ladies, SASHA, MIKI, JENNY, KIMMIE, BEBE, KATY, and the other young North American, European and Asian skaters. I think if they do, it should restore Pro skating and the new names on the ISU podiums will help bring new excitement to the elegible competitions. It is important that both the Pro and Elegible Worlds are healthy, because they promote each other, and if one catches a cold, the other gets sick too.

    tripleflutz
    I NEVER think skaters should retire "for the good of skating". Skaters should retire when it's in their best interest to do so, and then only if they want to. If Sasha, Miki, Jenny, Kimmie, BeBe and Katy can't win because they can't beat Irina, Michelle, Fumie and Shizuka, then maybe they're just not ready for the top of the podium.

    Certainly, Sasha, in her 6th season competing as a Senior, has had plenty of opportunities to win Nationals and Worlds. She hasn't won because she hasn't skated well enough. Even if Irina, Michelle, Fumie and Shizuka stepped aside, there's STILL no guarantee that Sasha would win.

    Shizuka won her first World title at the ripe old age of 22, and at that point she had been competing as a senior skater since 1993--12 seasons. Maybe some people thought it was time for her to retire, too.

    BTW, there are hardly any pro competitions any more, and there is little likelihood of them being resurrected any time soon. When you can't see the World Figure Skating Championships on network TV, you know figure skating has hit a low in popularity. There are really only two touring companies, COI and SOI, and SOI is becoming a hard contract to get for many skaters, especially the non-North American ones.

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Personally, I am glad that Fossi feels the same way about her Sarah
    Mathman
    No offense, Fossi is not lost he/she developed thick skin, she is still able to like other skaters who had been Sarah's majore competetors. I see his/her compliments to Sasha and Michelle sometimes. . JMO.

  9. #54
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    That was a powerfully presented post, Michael. But when it comes to outrageous gushing and rushing willy-nilly into the fray in defense of our favorites, to me, there is another point of view. For some reason, this sport arouses passions and personal loyalties far beyond reason.

    I know this, because, although I like lots and lots of skaters, in my secret heart, Michelle can do no wrong. Not that this has anything to do with reality, of course. But then, if I wanted reality, I wouldn't watch figure skating. In this Never-never land all the girls are pretty, all the boys are dashing, and fie (fie, I say!) on anyone who dares to suggest that Michelle needs to add more turns in the opposite direction in her straight-line footwork.

    Personally, I am glad that Fossi feels the same way about her Sarah and WVgal about her Irina (without, of course, feeling it necessary to tear down the other person's choice).

    JMO.

    Mathman
    Thanx, Mathman. I perfectly understand your point of view about how figure skating and certain figure skaters arouse passions and loyalties far beyond reason. I for one am thankful that the sport has such passionate enthusiasts and advocates. Very interesting to note that you are a Michelle fan; this is the first time I've seen you gush about her. It's fine when Irina's courage and determination to succeed in spite of her health problems are mentioned initially, but when it gets repeated ad infinitum on different forums, then it gets a bit nauseating. Why preach to the converted? As for Irina's decision to retire after Torino 2006, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to make an educated guess that she would want to try and win the Olympic gold next year, especially since she finished second in SLC. It bugs me that those who make "pronouncements" about her decision to compete or retire in such an authoritative manner have never even met her or know her personally.

    I have never understood why fans of Skater X have to bash Skater Y in order to make a point. As far as I'm concerned, that's just shows that they have a superiority complex or are insecure. Whether it's Irina, Shizuka, Michelle, Sasha etc I believe each skater has his/her own strengths and weaknesses, but it's more constructive to appreciate the former than to focus on the latter. For those who have given Sarah such a hard time, I can only say this: Sarah didn't have to resort to conspiracy or knee bashing to get her Olympic gold medal, she skated to the best of her ability that night and deservedly won it fair and square. The irony here is that the harshest criticisms have probably come from so-called "figure skating fans" who can't even execute a single toe loop, let alone attempt the triple combinations Sarah did. Oh well, you know how the old saying goes -- people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,356
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan
    The irony here is that the harshest criticisms have probably come from so-called "figure skating fans" who can't even execute a single toe loop, let alone attempt the triple combinations Sarah did. Oh well, you know how the old saying goes -- people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    If that's the qualifying for criticising, then 50% of posters in most fourums are disqualifying to post. :sheesh:

  11. #56
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,094
    You don't have to be a musician to enjoy a concert, or to notice when one of the reed instruments is off-pitch. You don't have to be an opera singer to know that Cio-Cio San's high note at the end of "Un Bel Di" is flat. You don't have to be an actor to notice that an actor's gone off book during a Broadway show, or someone's missed an entrance. And you don't have to be a figure skater to see that Irina double-footed a jump or Miki left off the 2T from the 3Z.

  12. #57
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    Posts
    67
    I was referring to criticisms of how Sarah did not deserve to be the SLC Olympic champion and not her general skating style or technical ability.

  13. #58
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,268
    Irina sure feels that Sarah should not have won the OGM, and she is a skater (Irina thinks she, herself, was the true winner).

  14. #59
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe
    You don't have to be a musician to enjoy a concert, or to notice when one of the reed instruments is off-pitch. You don't have to be an opera singer to know that Cio-Cio San's high note at the end of "Un Bel Di" is flat. You don't have to be an actor to notice that an actor's gone off book during a Broadway show, or someone's missed an entrance. And you don't have to be a figure skater to see that Irina double-footed a jump or Miki left off the 2T from the 3Z.
    But judges do!! Check out Baiul's LP on the double foot jumps.

    Joe

  15. #60
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Getting my tiffin' poodle perm at Peaches Beauty Salon during FSU downtime
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Irina sure feels that Sarah should not have won the OGM, and she is a skater (Irina thinks she, herself, was the true winner).
    True, but Irina also showed a blatant disrespect for the judges and an appalling lack of sportsmanship when she was caught on camera calling them "stupid pigs". Not exactly the qualities we would associate with an Olympic champion. At least Michelle gracefully conceded that she had not performed her best, and went on to win three more world championship medals after SLC. Unlike Irina who, three years later, still cannot let go and recently mentioned in a newspaper interview that her gold medal at Europeans was "perhaps it’s for all my suffering, for all those years when I was unfairly placed 4th, for the Olympics."

    ETA: It wasn't as if the LP results were a clear 5/4 split in favor of Sarah; Irina received two 2nd place ordinals (FIN, USA), two 3rd place ordinals (GER, CAN) and one 4th place ordinal (ITA).
    Last edited by michaelfsfan; 02-23-2005 at 09:03 AM.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Compilations on Hughes; Cohen; Nikodenov; Goebel; & Yagudin!
    By springerluv in forum 2012-13 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 11:59 AM
  2. Extensive, updated list of tapes for trading or copying...
    By springerluv in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 07:08 PM
  3. 2002 Olympics - Irina Slutskaya
    By BronzeisGolden02 in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-24-2003, 07:32 PM
  4. Newest list of tapes available for trading/copying
    By springerluv in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 01:39 AM
  5. List of Tapes available for trading/copying - updated 12-02
    By springerluv in forum 2002-03 Figure Skating archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-28-2002, 11:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •