Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Irina Slutskaya will retire after the 2006 Olympics; possibly 2006 Worlds

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan
    True, but Irina also showed a blatant disrespect for the judges and an appalling lack of sportsmanship when she was caught on camera calling them "stupid pigs". Not exactly the qualities we would associate with an Olympic champion. At least Michelle gracefully conceded that she had not performed her best, and went on to win three more world championship medals after SLC. Unlike Irina who, three years later, still cannot let go and recently mentioned in a newspaper interview that her gold medal at Europeans was "perhaps it’s for all my suffering, for all those years when I was unfairly placed 4th, for the Olympics."

ETA: It wasn't as if the LP results were a clear 5/4 split in favor of Sarah; Irina received two 2nd place ordinals (FIN, USA), two 3rd place ordinals (GER, CAN) and one 4th place ordinal (ITA).

What qualities do you preceive that an Olympic Champion should have. Also, how do we know what the skaters are saying when a cameraman is not lurking around corners trying to get negative comments. I hope that at World's, the skater that skates his or her best, wins the Gold, not because of favourtism, dramatism, flapping arms or cheering and over-the-top screaming fans.

Do you think that Tara or Sarah had the qualities to be an Olympician? I though thought the years and years of long hour practicing and practicing in a cold rink, some people scrounging to get money to pay coaches, through sickness and determination, that's what makes a true Olympican.
    Last edited by millie; 02-23-2005 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfsfan
    True, but Irina also showed a blatant disrespect for the judges and an appalling lack of sportsmanship when she was caught on camera calling them "stupid pigs". Not exactly the qualities we would associate with an Olympic champion. At least Michelle gracefully conceded that she had not performed her best, and went on to win three more world championship medals after SLC. Unlike Irina who, three years later, still cannot let go and recently mentioned in a newspaper interview that her gold medal at Europeans was "perhaps it’s for all my suffering, for all those years when I was unfairly placed 4th, for the Olympics."
    I don't see anything wrong with Irina calling the judges "stupid pigs" or saying her European title was payback for the Olympics. Maybe her anger is a driving force for her comeback this year.

Custom Title
    Anger and resentment at outside forces beyond your control are not useful emotions--they can actually be damaging to the body. Vasculitis is an autoimmune disorder where the body wages war against itself. All these negative emotions can't be helping Irina.

From her comments, it's clear that she has been seething over perceived injustices for years. If Irina feels that she loses only because judges have failed to recognize her superiority, then she is a perpetual victim, because no one, no matter how good, wins every competition.

It's one thing to be mad at yourself for messing up, because you can do something to improve yourself or change the way you do things. But being angry at judges doesn't accomplish a thing.

I find it very interesting that Irina doesn't want her husband to see her performances in person. Is it because she's afraid he might be more objective than she is?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm
    Anger and resentment at outside forces beyond your control are not useful emotions--they can actually be damaging to the body. Vasculitis is an autoimmune disorder where the body wages war against itself. All these negative emotions can't be helping Irina.

From her comments, it's clear that she has been seething over perceived injustices for years. If Irina feels that she loses only because judges have failed to recognize her superiority, then she is a perpetual victim, because no one, no matter how good, wins every competition.

It's one thing to be mad at yourself for messing up, because you can do something to improve yourself or change the way you do things. But being angry at judges doesn't accomplish a thing.

I find it very interesting that Irina doesn't want her husband to see her performances in person. Is it because she's afraid he might be more objective than she is?

I find it very interesting also the Irina's husband doesn't travell with her at her competitions!!! There may be a reason for that::::He's probably not in the position to do that! He probably has a job that doen't permit him to take the time off from his job!!!Probably they are two separate individuals, that are not joined at the hip, she has her work and he has his!!!!There are couples that are nervous when their spouce is around watching them work, whose to say that is a negative aspect of their relationship. Probably he staying at home helping out with her sick mother!! There could be a thousand good reason why he doesn't.

Custom Title

Well, that's a bit uncalled for. Not everybody has to be like Lisa Thornton Weiss. Plenty of skaters' families are nervous and don't want to watch a competition live. Plushenko's mother, for example, has never seen him skate live either.

Yana

Custom Title

Pictures

What does Irina's husband look like? Has anyone seen any pictures of the happy couple?
    Linny

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny
    What does Irina's husband look like? Has anyone seen any pictures of the happy couple?
    Linny

IFS mag published their wedding photo a couple years ago. He is ok looking. Looks tall and is a bit follicle challenged

Yana

Custom Title
    Irina doesn't want Sergei to have anything to do with figure skating.

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...5&pagenumber=1

"..I never wanted my other half to have something to do with our sport."

Isn't Irina's hubby some kind of gym coach or something?

Custom Title
    chuckm, I've read this translated interview. At least she sounded positive in this interview.

Here is a cute interview with Irina and Sergei about how they met, etc. I think her pesonality come through here.

http://www.irina-slutskaya.com/article3.htm

Mathman

Custom Title
    I recall reading he was a boxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman
    Here is a cute interview with Irina and Sergei about how they met, etc. I think her pesonality come through here.

http://www.irina-slutskaya.com/article3.htm

Mathman

that was really a funny interview!! very nice!

Custom Title
    But here it is again, that anger and resentment:

"It was a very stressful time for me- I skated my program very clean, but was left out of the top three and, as a result, didn't make the cut for the Europeans and the Worlds! My whole world collapsed"

This must be the "wrongfully placed 4th" she keeps talking about. She placed 4th in both 1998 and 1999 Russian Nationals, but it was in 1999 that she was left off the World team. As I recall, she had gained weight and couldn't land her jumps. I remember seeing her at the GP competitions, falling on one jump out of 3. In the 1998-1999 season, she won two bronze medals and a silver, and was 3rd at the GPF.

But here it is again, that anger and resentment:

"It was a very stressful time for me- I skated my program very clean, but was left out of the top three and, as a result, didn't make the cut for the Europeans and the Worlds! My whole world collapsed"

This must be the "wrongfully placed 4th" she keeps talking about. She placed 4th in both 1998 and 1999 Russian Nationals, but it was in 1999 that she was left off the World team. As I recall, she had gained weight and couldn't land her jumps. I remember seeing her at the GP competitions, falling on one jump out of 3. In the 1998-1999 season, she won two bronze medals and a silver, and was 3rd at the GPF.
    I'm sorry, I don't see any anger in that comment. She said she felt bad for not making the team, and who can blame her for feeling bad about herself? I would actually find it strange for any athlete to think "oh, ok, I didn't make the team, yeepy!". I don't watch russian nationals, but however she skated, I'm sure that not making the team made her feel frustrated. Don't take this the wrong way chuckm, but I feel that you just want to find anger in anything Irina says. If she wants to think she was unfairly judge or placed or whatever (whether she was or not) that's her thing. Lets not make a big deal out of it... unless you really want to make a big deal out of it, in which case, do as you please (who am I to forbid anything anyway? ). I can understand how she felt at that time, because I've been in situations when I didn't achieved what I wanted and felt really bad about it.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast