Spinning | Golden Skate

Spinning

Cmskater

Spectator
I have a problem of spinning literally on my toepick. What can I do to fix it? Also, my left heel raises from my boot inside the boot..what can I do?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Make sure when you step into your spin you are on the flat of your blade, not your toe pick. Really press down on your blade; you will notice the difference. Also center your spin really well - this will prevent you from travelling.

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
I had the same problem-my boots are too big and my heel was lifting up. You might want to really crank down the lacing across the top of the bend of the foot to hold the heel down. I eventually went on the internet and found a way of lacing my boot a different way to keep the laces from sliding a "lace lock" so they would stay tight. I also put in heel grippers just above my heels and that worked for me. Here is the link:

http://walking.about.com/library/weekly/aa120600b.htm

Also, make sure your leg is not straight, its should be bent. A straight leg will throw your weight to the front of the foot also. Try varying the degree next time you spin to see what works for you.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
When I spin I try and spread my toes out so that forces me back on my blade and not on my toe pick.

I have the same problem with my right boot and my heel slipping if I don't lace my boot tight enough. I use bungas and slid them down to the bottom of my heel. That makes my boot a little more snug.

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
Spinning techniques

To learn to properly spin in one place creating small circles on top of one another, no matter what the body position or which foot you are spinning on, one needs to understand what is being performed on the ice with the blade, foot, ankle and skating leg.

All spins have certain commonalities. Forward spins begin on an outside edge culminating in the toe pick stopping this forward momentum, and the direction of the skater changes to a backward inside edge. In many ways, a spin entrance is a three turn. Instead of skating away on the backward inside edge, as you would in a forward outside three turn, a spin is a series of small circles traced on this backward inside edge. Backward spins begin with a forward inside edge changing over to backward outside circles.

This is why in the CoP that forward outside edge spins and backward inside edge spins are given more points. They are harder to get into and they are not the natural edges for spinning.

Another commonality to all spins of all positions is that the spin position must be built over one spot, that created by the first forward outside edge (or inside edge for back spins) to toe pick into the backward inside edge (or outside edge for back spins). In a sit spin, the skating leg and ankle are bent to balance over this spot, in a camel spin, the skating leg and hip must build up to a straight position over this spot.

In a scratch spin, spinning is actually done over this backward inside edge and the most inner toe pick. If you examine the trace of a good scratch spin, you will see each circle has two parallel lines, which are the marks made by the edge and the toe pick. A backward scratch spin has an even stronger toe pick component. The skating leg must start out bent and then straighten up into position to secure the spin.

Foot movement is extremely important. The spinning foot must first step forward onto a secure outside edge, right under the body and skating hip, and execute the turn onto the backward inside edge. The skater must press up on all five toes---ALL FIVE TOES (do you hear me? all 5 toes) and the ball of the foot. In ballet, I think it is called a releve (rel-a-VAY).

So, you step in, strongly excecute your turn and releve up to the ball of your spinning foot. If you have kept to your arch and skate your circle correctly prior to pressing up, and you press up with all five toes into position, your spin will be fast and centered and of significant revolutions.

Simple, huh?

Skate@Delaware

On the Ice
The spin has been my nemesis since September (when lessons started again when the rink re-opened for the season).

I have had to break it down into each step and 'train' my body to get the position required. I would no sooner get one thing right then something else would go 'wrong'---back crossover, switch arms into position, step out, sweep arms, 3-turn with bent knee and free leg out, arms form V, bring free leg in, straighten supporting leg, bring arms in.... of course, this all doesn't work all the time (results may vary).

Luckily, everyone was willing to give advice! Bend your knees, tuck your tummy, keep your shoulders down, don't look down, keep your hips open and shoulders square...smooshing the toes while pressing the ball of the foot down helps a lot also.

My biggest thing now is trying to bring my free leg in across my knee--the increase in speed is scary and fighting the centrifigal force is something!