Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: wish 4C's would be in.......

Medalist

wish 4C's would be in.......

Most of the time 4C's is in Asia. Twice it was in North America. I wish it would move around more. It's a slow day, so I was wondering why other places don't bid for it-----or anything else, for that matter......

Any place in Great Britain? Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Argentina? What's up with the Scandinavian countries: An Olympic every half century or so, and nothing else in between? Do Canadians have rinks in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or similar little provinces?

What do people in Iceland do?

People on the west coast of USA hold competitions in Alaska...but do they do so in Hawaii? Are people in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, to name a few, allowed to skate? I don't know that I've heard of anyone from there yet becoming a skater. Let's hear about some of these places

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pipsqueak
    Most of the time 4C's is in Asia. Twice it was in North America. I wish it would move around more. It's a slow day, so I was wondering why other places don't bid for it-----or anything else, for that matter......

Any place in Great Britain? Spain, Portugal, Mexico, Argentina? What's up with the Scandinavian countries: An Olympic every half century or so, and nothing else in between? Do Canadians have rinks in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or similar little provinces?

People on the west coast of USA hold competitions in Alaska...but do they do so in Hawaii? Are people in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, to name a few, allowed to skate? I don't know that I've heard of anyone from there yet becoming a skater. Let's hear about some of these places
    Well, Great Britain, Spain, Portugual or the Scandinavian countries aren't part of the 4C. They are part of the Euros.
    4C was designed as an alternative for Euros for NA and Asian skaters, and some more obscure skaters from Mexico or RSA etc.
    But, Canada & the US (rarely-although there are exceptions) send their top tier skaters/teams to 4C.
    I would like to see a 4C in Mexico-as it seems as if they have a good number of skaters-and their skaters always show up for the 4C. I'm just not sure if they have any facilties that could handle a huge skating event like the 4C.

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd

Iceland did have 1 figure skater at the 2005 Nordics, I noticed. I don't know how well she did, but I saw her on the entries list.

I'm from Oklahoma (another state that could be added to your list) and the reason you don't see skaters from those states is probably b/c they don't have the facilities. Even if they do have rinks, most of them are for hockey and not big enough for FS. That's one of the reasons SOI doesn't come to Tulsa anymore; the Tulsa Oilers hockey rink at the convention centre is just too small. Tulsa Ice Arena does a lot with FS, but the coaches there aren't really the kind that can prepare a prospective skater to a national-calibre level. If you really want to be a competitive figure skater, you have to go to the coaches, which means moving the family to one of the coasts. If you have the financial ability to do that, that is

I would imagine it's the same story up in Canada with the smaller provinces (although Shawn Sawyer is from New Brunswick). I would think the situation would be a little bit better with nationwide FS programmes like CanSkate, but I'm not entirely sure how that one works. Maybe our Canadian friends on the forum can answer that one for you

Custom Title

You asked the question if Canadians have rinks in Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island or similar little Provinces? Yes, All the provinces have rinks big enough to hold exhibition. I live in the province of Newfoundland(The province in Canada where all the planes were directed to when the air space was closed in the U.S. due the the attack on the Twin Towers on Sept. 11). Most all our big centers have standard size skating rinks. Our captitals have Olympics size rinks that hold NHL hockey teams. We have a few exhibitions in the capital city. Most of our skaters have to leave the province when they reach a certain level in skating. They have to go to Ontario or larger provinces to be where the big coaches are.
    Mainly the exhibitions that we have in our province are Canadians. If you go to the site Skate Canada, it will give you the information on all the skating levels.

Medalist

want to hear more

Thanks Matt and Millie--this is what I wanted to learn about....what are people doing (i.e. with skating) in all the places I (we?) never hear about? For instance, I've never heard a thing about Newfoundland. Now, I want to visit! Too, how cool would it be to go to/see a televised event in a place that few people get to see...like Newfoundland. (As in: who would ever think about visiting a place that has NO ice rink!!!!)

Also, I'm glad there are facilities in Tulsa. Are there coaches? So, in other words, in the USA and in Canada, there are facilities all over (even if mainly used by hockey), but well-known coaches congregate on the coasts or in major population centers? Does anyone know about Mexico? Where do skaters train? Who trains them?

What other parts of Asia could the 4-C's happen in? China, Japan, Korea...is that it? Are the ---"stans" that used to be part of the USSR a part of Asia or a part of Asia minor...or a part of Europe?

The idea of 4CC is strange because the only connection between the skaters is that they are excluded from Europeans. It is not much of a counterpart to Europeans because all the best skaters eligible for 4CC skip it to prepare for worlds. To me, the name Four Continents suggests that the ISU is acting like it is embracing federations from around the globe, when really a few large federations dominate. Also, presumably if there was ever a senior level skater from South America, they would change the name to 5 continents. Until then, the closest skating will get to South America is the back of Brian Joubert's LP costume.

http://p068.ezboard.com/bstrawberrycanyonfsc
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    The idea of 4CC is strange because the only connection between the skaters is that they are excluded from Europeans. It is not much of a counterpart to Europeans because all the best skaters eligible for 4CC skip it to prepare for worlds. To me, the name Four Continents suggests that the ISU is acting like it is embracing federations from around the globe, when really a few large federations dominate. Also, presumably if there was ever a senior level skater from South America, they would change the name to 5 continents. Until then, the closest skating will get to South America is the back of Brian Joubert's LP costume.
    It's strange, however, that there is a Brazilian junior skater somewhere, an adult competitor from Peru (she goes to the Coupes Des Alpes every year), and back in the beginning of figure skating competition, an Argentinian male finished seventh in the 1908 Olympics. I wish those skaters (the ones, of course, who are still skating) would be given some sort of publicity to show that there are skaters from those countries. Strangely enough, the Brazilian Skating Federation (ABBSL) is based in Boston.

Until then, the closest skating will get to South America is the back of Brian Joubert's LP costume.

Custom Title

So much more productive

The people of Iceland are kept busy doing something so much more productive than ice skating: breeding Icelandic horses! LOL!
    Linny

It's all about Plushenko.
    Are people in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, to name a few, allowed to skate?
    In addition to what Matt said ^^
    I know that in Louisiana, the closest rink to New Orleans is something like two hours away. I'm sure that deters any possible skaters. Figure skating is expensive if you're serious about it, and generally people with the resources to train live in and around cities. At least that's what it seems like.

Also, presumably if there was ever a senior level skater from South America, they would change the name to 5 continents.
    Why? North and South America are considered one continent.

It's all about Plushenko.
    Why? North and South America are considered one continent.
    I thought there were seven continents:
    North America
    South America
    Europe
    Asia
    Africa
    Austrailia
    Antartica

I could be wrong, though.

Custom Title
    What other parts of Asia could the 4-C's happen in? China, Japan, Korea...is that it? Are the ---"stans" that used to be part of the USSR a part of Asia or a part of Asia minor...or a part of Europe?

This year skaters from Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan (I think) were represented. Most of them train in Russia, where the coaches are. I don't even know if these countries have any decent skating facilities. Maybe Kazakhstan, which is the more affulent country. In fact Kazakhstan has a very respectible national hockey team.

Uzbekistan and Tajikistan still have some internal conflicts so I don't see them as potential candidates for 4CC in any future. I think that at the end of the day, it's all about the facilities and whose federation has more influence.

Geographically, Asian and European border is at the Ural mountain range. That makes all "stans" Asian. If I am not mistaken, "stan" means kingdom in either Persian or Arabic.

Yana

Quote Originally Posted by nicole_l
    I thought there were seven continents:
    North America
    South America
    Europe
    Asia
    Africa
    Austrailia
    Antartica
    Actually, we are apparently both correct. Click here for a discussion. Basically, in America they teach there are seven (like you said) whereas in most of Europe they consider the two Americas as one continent, and consider Antartica merely an island. That's why the Olympic symbol has five rings - one for each continent. I am not sure what they teach in Africa and Asia.

Custom Title
    I don't mean to appear ignorant, but wouldn't Austrailia be considered an island as well? There are no other countries on that land mass. Just a thought.

Anyway, I always thought that 4C is more or less a chance for the lesser known skaters of the world to go head to head against the mighty North Americans, and lately, the Asians. This sounds like a good idea, since we all know that Europeans usually win the big competitions. I would love to go to a 4C, to see all the skaters that never get shown on TV, so add Pittsburgh to the list of hopeful cities!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast