SOI Orlando | Golden Skate

SOI Orlando

childfreegirl

Final Flight
It was a great show! We got there about 35-45 minutes early and it's a good thing we did. The place was packed, except for the nosebleed seats which were empty. Yeesh, those are high! We were in row L which was way too high for me. This was my third year going and last year we were on ice and the year before that like the third row. It made it really hard to see facial expressions and at times a little tough to figure out who was where on the ice, like in group numbers. It was about like I expected, but I don't know if the casual fan would've done as well or not with that.

I'm glad we did get there early b/c I got a great candid of Christopher Dean up in our section, checking out the setup or something. I just hope it turns out.

As for specifics about individual numbers, the flea sequence was one of the best things I've ever seen. It was hilarious! For those that just saw the bit on tv with Todd where he ends up killing it, later there is a whole funeral procession with about five or six skaters and later a grim reaper/smokey thing, that I think was related to it. I was laughing my butt off! :rofl:

Now about skaters, Todd was great. I just love everything I've seen him do recently.

Katia's first number was exquisite. She got very quiet, but not sudued applause during the program, as if too much applause would break the spell, or cause her to fall. It was like you were watching a crystal ballerina almost.

Koyoko and John were high energy and on!

In fact, I only saw three oopses the whole night. Katia singled an axel in her second number and there were a couple of doubled jumps from other people (maybe Weiss was one of them) that were clearly supposed to be tripples, but there were no falls.

Weiss skated a watered down version of his long program, but I thought it was much better than at Nat's and he seemed to be having a better time.

I liked Sarah more than I expected to. I think if she stays with this kind of skating that she'll grow into it more, but she was clearly having a blast out there.

B/S got huge applause for "If I Could". I've seen reviews in past years that said that B/S had gotten less of a reception than S/P, but not last night. They clearly got more for that number than S/P's first number. It was quite a program. Very very very nice.

Yag's "Passion" number was breathtaking. I think everybody in the whole arena thought the same thing. At one point my mom leaned over and said that he could almost be a gymnast, which I agreed with.

The first act finale got huge applause.

Katia's "Heartburn" I liked, and I'd seen it on tv. Nice.

Steven Cousins was very very nice. Where's the drool icon. I could watch him forever!

Weiss's "Faith" number was great! I wonder who choreographed that one?

B/S's second number was rockin! Wow, that was hot! Forget Brittany, give me Elena any day. Anton wasn't too shabby either. :agree:

Yagudin's "Shout" was okay. I'm not sure I remember that much of it.

S/P's "Who Wants to Live Forever was superb! Wow.

Sarah's "Over the Rainbow" was pretty good. I don't like that version of the song though.

Todd's last number "Forevermore" was by Allesandro Safina. I'd read somewhere that he skated to Josh Groban, but obviously not for this show. The two singers sound sort of similar, but as someone who listens to JG several times a week, it took me about a line to figure it out.

The finale was good, but IMO, not as good as last year. It still got a standing ovation though.

There were also a lot of cute interludes? between acts. I had a headache that came and went most of the afternoon and night, so I don't remember too much more.

Overall, it was a great show. I was not crazy about the 5-6 hour ride down there and back though. I wish b/c of that that they had come to Jax like the last two years, but I liked Orlando overall. I'm not sure if I'm willing to order tickets in advance for next year though. I'm sure I won't have much money left after Nats. That whole topic deserves it's own thread though.

I'm gonna go crash on the couch now.

Thanks for the great review, CFG. It sounds like a winner!

So, did that make you change your mind and decide to go to the Marshall's Skating Challenge, too, LOL? BTW, I notice that the ISU web site, on it's list of upcoming events, has downgraded the Marshalls Challenge to a "national" insted of an international event, since all the skaters are from the U.S.

Mathman

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you SO much for your review! We are SO excited to see this year's show. Our turn comes later this week in Trenton & Philly. :rock:

Thanks for the review! Makes me that much more anxious for seeing the show this coming Friday in Philadelphia!

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Thanks for the review. I saw the show in San Diego and enjoyed it very much.

Ya the the flea routine was really funny :laugh:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Childfreegirl, thanks for the review. I love the show and I thought the flea routine or demise was funny too. I loved the mourners who go around the rink wailing and sobbing. I, too, very much enjoyed Anton & Elena, they are exquisite.

I thought the show was one of the best I have seen over the last few years.

Dee

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Thanks for the great review, CFG. It sounds like a winner!

So, did that make you change your mind and decide to go to the Marshall's Skating Challenge, too, LOL? BTW, I notice that the ISU web site, on it's list of upcoming events, has downgraded the Marshalls Challenge to a "national" insted of an international event, since all the skaters are from the U.S.

Mathman

No, I can't go to Marshall's. :cry: Tampa's the same 5-6 hour drive and since it's on a Tuesday, it's a no go. And since my ride is unavailable (my brother, b/c I don't do that kind of traffic), it's definately a no go. :cry:

dmr65

On the Ice
Thank you for the review and the bit of gushing over B&S... They are my favorites, and it just makes me feel good to hear the American people are really warming up to them... Their two programs are just a hit!! I can't decide which one I like the best... Tracy Wilson stated Anton and Lena choreographed their "If I Could " program. Fans seem to be swooning over it (it's created an open door for fan rumors) :laugh: I don't know who did their "Dance Mix" But it is so true about the fan favortisms and participation with B&S this season. (The applause in St. Paul Mn was HUGE and I read the same in other places) They have two more yrs with SOI, I know Anton stated he and Lena are really liking this professional life vs their amateurs, and that it would financially make sense for them to continue on as professional skaters.. For my sake and theirs... I hope they continue on at least with SOI or back to COI... Either way I'll be there... :yes:

Denise...

Vash01

Medalist
dmr65 said:
Thank you for the review and the bit of gushing over B&S... They are my favorites, and it just makes me feel good to hear the American people are really warming up to them... Their two programs are just a hit!! I can't decide which one I like the best... Tracy Wilson stated Anton and Lena choreographed their "If I Could " program. Fans seem to be swooning over it (it's created an open door for fan rumors) :laugh: I don't know who did their "Dance Mix" But it is so true about the fan favortisms and participation with B&S this season. (The applause in St. Paul Mn was HUGE and I read the same in other places) They have two more yrs with SOI, I know Anton stated he and Lena are really liking this professional life vs their amateurs, and that it would financially make sense for them to continue on as professional skaters.. For my sake and theirs... I hope they continue on at least with SOI or back to COI... Either way I'll be there... :yes:

Denise...

'Dance Mix' was choreographed by Peter Tchernychev.

I thought B&S had just one year left with SOI. After the 2006 Olympics a new set of skaters will take the ice, IMO. Hard to tell if B&S will be invited back.

'If I could' got a HUGE applause in Phoenix also. When I saw it on the internet, it was just OK. In the arena it was mesmerizing.

Vash