Michelle will not win Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Michelle will not win Worlds

mzheng

Record Breaker
shi......kyla2, you broken the curse on this thread. Now, I really really hope you are the skatinggod. :p

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I wouldn't rule her out of a podium placement, but if she wins the thing she'll surprise me -- and I'd bet Slutskaya, Cohen, and Rochette on that podium first. 3/3 or no 3/3, I just don't think she's got the overall material this year; IMO "Bolero" is just out and out DULL and Michelle's put on so many brilliant programs over the years that I think the average judging panel would expect more out of her than that.

Michelle doesn't have a great track record in Europe, either. Part of the reason for that is, granted, that if you take away the Worlds' she competed in there, I think she's only competed there like 6 or 7 times, and most of those were 10 years ago or more. Only one out of her five Worlds wins was in Europe (Nice in '00), and she barely squeaked that one out.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if she kind of used this as a "biding time" Worlds to get acquainted with COP and just keep her hat in the ring until next season. I hope she just relaxes and has fun with it, just as I hope she will do in Torino -- win or lose, I don't want to see her go through another Olys uptight as she was in Nagano (to a point) and SLC (BIG TIME).

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
The question is: If she doesn't make the podium at Worlds this year, will she stick around for Turin or retire?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
RealtorGal said:
The question is: If she doesn't make the podium at Worlds this year, will she stick around for Turin or retire?

I don't think she's stuck around to this point WITHOUT intending to go to Turin, as coy about her intentions regarding this as she may have been over the last couple of years. I think, in a way, for her to NOT make the podium this year could be very beneficial to her -- she hasn't finished off a podium in 10 years and I think that would jolt her into stepping it up a little, if she wants to win that OGM. Now, if she just wants to go to Turin just to have fun (which she didn't seem to be having much of in either Nagano or SLC), that'd be cool, too.

RealtorGal said:
I definitely think she will hang around for the PreOly Nats and try to beat Owens record (not just tie it). What she does after that could be:

1. A grand Exhibition Skate signifying her retirement; or

2. Work harder for the olympics. JMO

Joe

millie

Medalist
kyla2 said:
Sorry, i disagree. I think Michelle has the momentum now and Irina and Shizuka do not. I also think Michelle is always a possibility in the minds of the judges to win gold-they never exclude her based on her longevity. Listen, even under CoP, Michelle didn't suddenly turn into a pumpkin. The same skills that won her the 6.0's will help her in the new system. I believe she will be on the podium and maybe at the top. I also believe she is coming prepared to do a triple-triple if needed (and it may well be). I expect Irina to be on the podium one way or another as well. She will fight for the gold, since it is being held in Moscow.

Michelle didn't turn into a pumpkin yet, she hasn't skated under the CoP yet. How will the same skills that won her the 6.0's help her in the new system? It's a totally different scoring system and until she skates with that new system, nobody can predict how she is going to do. In previous threads they were talking about certain skaters that hasn't had perfect seasons, I don't think that there isa skater that has a perfect season. With regard to Michelle winning or even getting on the podium---You shouldn't count your chickens before they are hatched.

kyla2

Final Flight
Millie

Millie, I think the wish is further to the thought. Geez, don't forget who we are talking about here. This is Michelle Kwan, the greatest figure skater of all time, in my opinion. She has plenty of skills which will be rewarded under CoP. I repeat, she didn't suddenly turn into a pumpkin. Unless she has a miserable, subpar performance, which comes out of nowhere, I expect her to be on the podium. BOLERO is a fine program and it is competitive with the other programs if she beefs it up a tad with stronger jump combinations. I also think the music is compelling and it suits her. If she nails it, she could win the gold with it. I . also expect Sasha to kick it up a notch. She has the potential to skate her best program of the season.

gezando

Final Flight
millie said:
. With regard to Michelle winning or even getting on the podium---You shouldn't count your chickens before they are hatched.

All kyla said was that Mk will be at the podium, and she has been on the world podium many times. OTOH you said Sasha will win olympics 06, talk about counting chickens before they are hatched :rofl:

Last edited:

Vash01

Medalist
You can never count Michelle out. I expect to see her on the podium. It is hard to say if she will be at the top of the podium, with so many talented ladies around. She is still the master of the nerves. The judges respect her, and they will give her high marks for skating skills. If she lands a 3-3 she has a very good chance of winning, regardless of what system is used (of course it is COP).

I am surprised that so many people are ignoring Shizuka- the reigning world champ- just like they were last year. If Shizuka is able to control her nerves, she could very well win.

I don't believe Michelle will pass up on an opportunity to win an OGM. She will be in Torino, regardless of what happens at worlds- barring injury, of course. I hope she stays healthy.

Vash

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
IMHO, some of the biggest factors in determining who will medal in Moscow are things that are totally independent of the new judging system. One such factor is whether the judges, in fact, are using the PCS scores the way they used to use the "presentation" scores under the old system. A second (and more important, IMO) factor is nerves. Shizuka is feeling the pressure of wearing the target; Sasha has been beaten by her own nerves before, whereas Kwan has some of the strongest in the business -- how do you think that Shiz or Sash would have handled things if a streaker disrupted their programs? Irina will be feeling the pressure as the hometown favorite, whereas Kwan is relatively free, especially since a really good skate and a silver will do a good job of silencing some of the critics.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
The main reason Michelle may lose to her rival Irina is - Irina is fast on the blade and covers the rink from one end to the other; European judges really look for that. Bolero is a slow piece of music so may or may not work in Michelle's favour. It's hard to say. Michelle is a "sure footed" jumper. Anything can happen.

Ladskater said:
The main reason Michelle may lose to her rival Irina is - Irina is fast on the blade and covers the rink from one end to the other; European judges really look for that. Bolero is a slow piece of music so may or may not work in Michelle's favour. It's hard to say. Michelle is a "sure footed" jumper. Anything can happen.
I have my own problems watching MK's Bolero, but is not speed. Her speed is in perfect sync with the music and you have to see her Live. She covers the ice better than most. However, I agree, the music does not show her off at her best.

Irina, has so many technical tricks in her routine that the only skating one sees is the footwork, imo. The speed she has is deceptive, imo, but she has a lot going for her otherwise. Way ahead of the others except maybe Sasha, if SC steps up to the plate.

Joe

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I have my own problems watching MK's Bolero, but is not speed. Her speed is in perfect sync with the music and you have to see her Live. She covers the ice better than most. However, I agree, the music does not show her off at her best.
Joe

Joe, were you at Nationals this year? Did you attend the practice sessions? According to someones were there MK was zoom fast and powerful on ice. And the clips USFSA posted on line shown her faster than the real performance of SP and LP on TV. But I know the clips sometime deceived at the speed.

Don't know why MK still kept her internet reputation of 'slow speed and small jump' these days. I thought having a Russian coach should have improved her power in skating. :scratch:

mzheng said:
Joe, were you at Nationals this year? Did you attend the practice sessions? According to someones were there MK was zoom fast and powerful on ice. And the clips USFSA posted on line shown her faster than the real performance of SP and LP on TV. But I know the clips sometime deceived at the speed.
I was there. Michelle's speed, like Yuka Sato, is entwined with whatever music she is skating to. MK is a very fast skater and I think she would medal in a speed race. But she is one with the music, and Bolero, doesn't allow for that beautiful flow MK has. Still the character of the music is brought to life. Check out her speed in the SP. There it is - in full glory. I wish Spartacus had been her LP. It's one of my favorites, now.

Joe

nymkfan51

Medalist
I agree about Spartacus Joe ... it's a winner for sure!

As for Worlds ... as has been mentioned in other threads, this year is wide open on who will win or even be on the podium. Any number of ladies could make it, IMO. I don't know that I specifically think MK will win gold, but I like her chances as well as anyone else. As kyla said ... she hasn't turned into a pumpkin. Her skills are there. I agree that this being her first try at COP, she could lose a point here or there ... but I just see her overall skating and presentation to be too good to suddenly see her scores take a nose dive.
I also think she can go into this Worlds with no great expectations on her. She has 5 titles ... doesn't have to win this one. I just want her to skate well and see her programs well received under COP ... and for the most part I believe they will be.

And I just LOVE it when people count her out! ;)

mzheng

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
MK is a very fast skater and I think she would medal in a speed race. But she is one with the music, and Bolero, doesn't allow for that beautiful flow MK has. Still the character of the music is brought to life. Check out her speed in the SP. There it is - in full glory. I wish Spartacus had been her LP. It's one of my favorites, now.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I was not suprised to hear those on site that Michelle had the power in her stroking and jumps. I heard Rafael had her practice those 'strange' stroking every day and tape measured her jump distances (Rafael tape measure jump distances for all of his students actually). The word from rink side had been "it's almost Nationals, but he still had her do those strange stroking every day". I thought all these are aimed to buildup the powerful skating.

I love and love the Spartacus, every thing in program is so well meshed with the musics. The most important, it was the first time MK skated to a powerful music with her powerful skating. Guess one year work with Rafael dose show the improvement in her skating. Rumor was that it had always been Rafael's goal, after hired by Michelle as her coach last season, that returning a 'new' Michelle to skating public.

I don't like the Bolero so far. The best one she skated was the Campbell one, but it was too 'simple' from the CoP view, I liked it because she 'sold' it, her performance was on, JMO. The Marshall (according to the rumor, the original Dean version) and National ones were a bit more CoP friendly, but she diddn't sell it (My guess is because it is someone else's choreo she hasn't get used to it yet). But how would I know, I never liked her Shenheraze, Aranjuez and Tusca until she skated at the Nationals. It is a difficult music to skate with, and it is hard to 'Sell'. I'll just have to wait and see the final product.

I also think she can go into this Worlds with no great expectations on her. She has 5 titles ... doesn't have to win this one.
Besides she had just tied the records with 9 US titles. If there had been any pressure, it's gone.

And I just LOVE it when people count her out!
Yeah. That's why I pray skating god looking into the thread. Oh, wait, I did trade her world gold for the #9 US title with skatinggod. So now I need to keep a good faith with skatinggod and start to count Michelle out. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

kyla2

Final Flight
Eating Crow

You know you all, I don't know whether Michelle will win the gold medal at Worlds this year, but I really like BOLERO and I hope that some people will be eating crow after she finishes her LP. I think the music suits her. Iit's compelling music, and it builds in momentum, and she is into it, which is crucial for her to really "sell" the program. I don't think she is slow at all and she covers the ice well. Who is it you all have been watching on the ice this year? It certainly wasn't Michelle. She needs to be in the top three after the SP and frankly that is my bigger concern. She skated Spartacus beautifullly at Nationals but it needs a stronger combination (lutz-loop). I don't love the music. I am worried that the others have stronger SP's.

mzheng

Record Breaker
With CoP, she dosen't have to be top 3 after the short. As long as top 4's points spread as little as couple of points. I'd expect there is not a big spread in points after the SP between the top 4 (Irina, Shizuka, Sasha, Michelle) They all had track record of skating a 'fire' SP.

That said, I'm expecting Michelle wow me up with Bolero at the world. Just like she wowed at 2003 and 2004 National.

Eeyora

Final Flight
At this point it seems like the best we can say is we don't know ho Michelle will do under COP's. I personally hope to see a better more improved Bolero. I think her overall goal should be to rem ain on the podium. Regardless of how she does she will still be one of the best skaters of all time. However as a Kwan fan I am very nervous. I liked Bolero the first time at Campbells. I think it would have done better a few years back as an interpretive program.

She does have a history of peaking at Worlds remember 200 and 2001. I totally expected Irina would take home the crown those years.

Last edited: