Question for the COP enlightened.... | Golden Skate

Question for the COP enlightened....

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Well, I gotta figure out something to do between now and World's, so I'm digging into the Technical base values / scores etc. for the top skaters.

Since Sasha and Michelle are among the "top 10" contenders but haven't been scored under COP this year, I have a question. Of course no one can say for sure how their programs might change from Nationals to Worlds. But based on the non-jump elements they both did in the short and long at Nationals, I'm curious what levels are likely to be assigned.

Any opinions?

Thanks!!

DG

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
bdreampixie and I had a long discussion on Cohen's likely SP levels on this thread:

http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8535&page=2

I'm afraid I only have the very beginning of Kwan's SP, as the basketball game ran over, and TiVo cut it short. (I have basic service, not the service that readjusts the schedule for such happenings.) I deleted the repeat of the SP/Pairs LP/Ladies' LP telecast to make room for Worlds in a couple of weeks, so I can't comment on either, except for my overall impression that Cohen's program looked rather empty and Kwan's bored me to tears.

bdreampixie

On the Ice
Sasha at Nats short program:
L1 spins
L3 spiral
L2 ftwk

Long Program:
L1 spins, except for the first spin, which is L2
L3 spiral
L1 ftwk

This program not very well balanced, and may not get her the PCS that she's looking for. The pattern, and distribution of elements is not good at all. She does the last 3 jumps in the same spot basically. She also needs more transitions.

Michelle short program:
L1 spins
L3 spirals
L2 ftwk

long program:
L1 spins (at Marshalls she had one L2 spin, but she didn't do it at Nats)
L2 spirals (she needs to hold her spirals longer, if she holds them then they are L3)
L2 ftwk. (she should do the Marshalls ftwk. which is much more difficult it may get her L3)

Michelle's program is very well balanced and covers the ice fully throughout the entire program. The pattern of it is also interesting and not just straight lines down the ice. That should help her with the PCS. She does need a few more transitions here and there.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Thanks to you both...

...for your replies. How in the world did I miss the detailed Sasha analysis??? Probably because I got bored with the general thread topic - my apologies that you had to point me back to that thread. :) PLEASE take that comment in the light hearted spirit it is meant!

Mean time, I am just not knowledgeable enough to even guess what types of scores in each category Michelle or Sasha are likely to get at World's at their best, at their mediocre, or at their worst. So...my little analysis proceeds without them, unfortunately. That is NOT to say either of them aren't contenders - I fully expect them both in the final six barring disaster.

Thanks!!

DG

Michelle will do very well in the SP. The music has many variations in tempo and has that glorious theme in the middle of it for her trademark spiral. She will do the minimum requirements with solid flair. I would have preferred her to use this for her LP. She will not have the Bielman and that will keep her from lst place in the SP. The CoP is not geared to required elements and beautiful presentation anymore. Higher scores go to higher risks.

Joe