Women Play for Stanley Cup - hmm..... | Golden Skate

Women Play for Stanley Cup - hmm.....

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
With the demise of the NHL hockey season naturally, there will be no Stanley Cup playoffs this season; so Canada's Governor General Adrienne Clarkson has proposed that our women's team play for the coveted Stanley Cup. Hey, why not!!! What a novel idea.

Of course, the male populace of the Hockey world would never approve. As one pundit put it: "It would be as repulsive an idea as letting female hockey players train for the NHL." More or less end of story.

Thanks anyway Adrienne - at least someone is thinking outside the box.

:agree:

There was also talk of allowing minor league or local teams to "challenge" for the cup. There was even a lawsuit. The Stanley cup predates the NFL, and according to the provisions of Lord Stanley's trust, the cup would go to "the best team in Canada."

If you thought you were the best team in Canada, you confront whatever team had the cup and challenge them for it.

Mathman

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Mathman said:
There was also talk of allowing minor league or local teams to "challenge" for the cup. There was even a lawsuit. The Stanley cup predates the NFL, and according to the provisions of Lord Stanley's trust, the cup would go to "the best team in Canada."

If you thought you were the best team in Canada, you confront whatever team had the cup and challenge them for it.

Mathman

I had not heard about the minor leagues going for it, but I am sure Lord Stanley would be appaled if he knew about the state of NHL Hockey today. I am sure he would be happy to know the fans are still out there playing the game.