Custom Title

News Inoue and Baldwin Move Back to CA

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=29033&type=news

Their new coach is Peter Oppegard.

interesting...

all the other boards have been predicting they'd retire... :sheesh:

Skating enthusiast

They really are just staying at home

This was probably a good thing for them. They tried training in Arizona for awhile, they have their programs and elements, and need a coach with a great eye for the technique to watch over them as they continue to do run throughs and elements and keep them motivated. Peter O. understands Jill W. and everyone is adult enough to have valuable input and responsibility in training.

It is their future as a team that will change as a result of the coaching change, but they seem most comfortable staying where they have always lived, regardless of who their coach might be.

Medalist

??????

Great Balls o' Fire!

I don't know about this one, Miss Molly.

Of course Peter has his talents, I just never figured this team for being able to work with him, or visa versa.

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle
    interesting...

all the other boards have been predicting they'd retire... :sheesh:
    I heard that Rena was in the process (or the beginning steps) of applying for US citizenship with the intention of having it in time for the 2006 Olys (I think Peter mentioned that one during the Nationals)

Medalist
    I doubt she'll have enough time to get her US citizenship by 2006. If it was the election season, you can bet your bottom dollar she'll be a citizenship by Thanksgiving

Crazy Armchair Fan/Resident Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Crizzy
    I doubt she'll have enough time to get her US citizenship by 2006. If it was the election season, you can bet your bottom dollar she'll be a citizenship by Thanksgiving
    It depends on how long has she been living in the United States (she's been living here while going to medical school). It's prolly not been anywhere close to 14 years, though

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    It depends on how long has she been living in the United States (she's been living here while going to medical school). It's prolly not been anywhere close to 14 years, though
    Actually it depends on how long she has her Green Card. She could have a student visa when she went to the medical school. One has to have green card at least 5/6 years (I don't remember exactely the number) then he/she is qualify to apply the citizenship.

I have always thought there was something strange about John and Rena's relationship. He seems a little overbearing toward her when they are both giving interviews together like he is in control of everything they do. I wonder if he is afraid she will leave him to work with a different partner with more experience skating pairs. They have always seemed like two singles skaters on the ice together.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brad640
    I have always thought there was something strange about John and Rena's relationship. He seems a little overbearing toward her when they are both giving interviews together like he is in control of everything they do. I wonder if he is afraid she will leave him to work with a different partner with more experience skating pairs. They have always seemed like two singles skaters on the ice together.
    I don't think that's the case. I see it as John is the brash, loud guy and Rena is the quiet, reserved girl. Besides, Rena has put off completing medical school to skate with John. Also, she's already represented Japan at the Olympics twice: 92 (pairs - don't know the name of her partner) and 94 (ladies).

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by mzheng
    Actually it depends on how long she has her Green Card. She could have a student visa when she went to the medical school. One has to have green card at least 5/6 years (I don't remember exactely the number) then he/she is qualify to apply the citizenship.

5 years is right. It's shorter if married to a US Citizen.. it's cut to three years then, but you have to have been married the whole three years... can't be a resident for two then get hitched for one and qualify.

Guide for Naturalization is pretty handy for figuring this stuff out. Yay internet.

It'd be nice to see the change in locale and coaching do them good. US pairs skating is just... well... sad really.