Converting the Boyfriend | Golden Skate

Converting the Boyfriend

amazonprincess

Rinkside
Ok, so my mom (RavynRant) has bugged me to post about this for a while now, so sorry it took so long ma!

Anyways, I started dating my boyfriend a little over four months ago, and when he'd come over it almost always ended up being on a night where mom and I were watching figure skating. I knew that mom would let me know if anything big and shocking happened to my favorites skating, so I offered that we could go do something else if he didn't want to sit and watch with us. But he was okay with it, and watched, with absolutely no grumbling whatsoever. Then later on he started researching the sport on his own time (with no pushing from me) and has started developing favorties of his own, and comments with me when we watch at home. (he likes the Japanese ladies team, but he readily admits to it being because he's a 'Nipponophile' as he puts it.)

So now I won't have to drag him along at all when we go to mom's to watch worlds, he'll come willingly, and enjoy it. All because he wanted to learn about something else that makes me happy.

It's all so cute and sappy isn't it? *^_^* Now I'm just trying to figure out the whos-who of English Football. Edit: yup, that's soccer :)

Last edited:

Longhornliz

Final Flight
Thats so great that he is showing interest in things that you enjoy! Especially in something that is traditionally such a taboo for the alpha male. My ex liked that I had a hobby, but he certainly wanted no part of it himself. I bet he would have liked it if he had given it a chance.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Hi there Amazon Princess!

I think it's wonderful that your boyfriend has been willing to not only watch a sport that is a hobby of yours, but also take the time to learn more about it and develop some favorites! Having a few favorites makes watching any competition more interesting IMO.

Sounds like you might be returning the favor by learning more about English Football? (is that soccer? That's how much I know about it LOL!!) Life is always a 2-way street, and if you both continue to be considerate of each other in this way, you will have many wonderful times to enjoy together.

DG

Ok, but now, wait a sec. Just how much of a Nipponophile is he? My wife keeps threatening to turn the TV off whenever Yuka or Kristi come on.:laugh:

MM

Kurt's Girl

Rinkside
Congratulations! Good for you, and for him. It's wonderful he can take pleasure...and that you have added to the ranks of skating's fans. The more the merrier :)

JOHIO2

Medalist
It never hurts to learn a bit about the things your girlfriend (or boyfriend) likes -- especially if one or both parents also like them. If your SO likes dog shows, you learn about purebred dogs. But getting a guy to admit that figure skating is a sport and to actually develop his own favorites........way to go! Watch out, you may have to buy your own binoculars if you take him to a comp or show.

sk8erboy2

Spectator
well i don't much here, as you can tell... but i do view the forum daily. and i figured i had to reply to this post.
I am the "perfect" example of this situation as well ;)

My girlfriend got me into figure skating, as she has done it for years and years very competitively. It kinda grew on me you could say. I liked her, i liked her ambitions, and i supported her 100% all the time. I guess her sport kinda grew to beocme our sport! :agree: She no longer competes due to things she cannot control.. :cry: but it's great to sit down, and watch all the competitions, and it's funny cause i can name about 85% of the people that step on the ice!

Kurt

amazonprincess

Rinkside
Mathman said:
Ok, but now, wait a sec. Just how much of a Nipponophile is he? My wife keeps threatening to turn the TV off whenever Yuka or Kristi come on.:laugh:

MM

*chuckles*
Well...
He'll watch insanely cheesy reality tv just because it's being filimed in Tokyo(America's Next Top Model 3.) So it's not just Japanese women, it's everything Japanese. But when I asked him how much of a Nipponophile he is, his answer was just, "Quite the Nipponophile." We ended up watching NHK's Red and White Festival on New Year's, despite not understanding a word. Allthough while watching that I giggled and pointed "Oh! That's Shizuka!!" They had her as a judge or something I think. But she's really pretty in a Kimono.

And I'm rambling, so I'll stop. *^_^*

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
That is a very good sign that you have a great guy - he is willing to share your favorite pass times with you. I introduced my hubby to figure skating and he has become quite the "arm-chair expert." He has a good eye for talent and would make a good judge. He even went to the World's pro event when it was here in Vancouver and really enjoyed it. This was his first live competition. His favorite skaters are Kurt and Yuka - just like me!!!