Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: David Wilson

On the Ice

David Wilson

This question has been bugging me for a while.

David Wilson choreographs for Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Chynthia Phaneuf, Nicholas Young, Shawn Sawyer, but who else? any other skaters? any pairs? any lower level skaters?

I just love watching his work because each program is so unique and suits the skater's personality.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by missBella
    This question has been bugging me for a while.

David Wilson choreographs for Jeff Buttle, Joannie Rochette, Chynthia Phaneuf, Nicholas Young, Shawn Sawyer, but who else? any other skaters? any pairs? any lower level skaters?

I just love watching his work because each program is so unique and suits the skater's personality.
    Sebastien Britten, Josee Chouinard, Brian Orser, one or two of the current Japanese female skaters and L/F(former pairs skaters).

Custom Title
    I didn't know about Shawn Sawyer, but I know he does Ben Ferreira.

Go NJ Devils
    He's been working with Rochette and Buttle for many years, and I'm assuming the same pattern for the other up-and-coming skaters. He starts with skaters when they're young, and brings them along as the develop more advanced technique.

I suspect he has been learning his craft for some years and it is now reaching full bloom with Joannie and Jeffrey. Unfortunately, we don't get to see that many elligible Canadian skaters on American TV, so I am not aware of other skaters using his choreography. He is a talent.

BTW, Did he do Josie Chouinard's routine in that cheesefest where she beat MK? It was a very cute number who ever did it.

Joe

Custom Title
    Was it "The Sweater"? I loved that program and everytime I see Josee name I think of that program! I think Joanne reminds me of Josee but a much more compact, powerful package.

Custom Title
    I am pretty sure that program was choreographed by Lori Nichol.

Josee's programs for the World Challange 2004 were choreographed by David Wilson.

That was the Canadian Open. Josee's two programs were the Jewel Thief and Harlequin, both by Lori Nichol. Josee fell on her triple Lutz attempt and Michelle skated cleanly. But the judges gave Josee the higher marks because it was supposed to be an "interpretive" program. Michelle skated a generic program, while Josee's told a story (teaching a baby bird to fly).

Mathman

Custom Title
    Does Wilson choreograph for anyone outside of Canada?

Custom Title
    David was a competitive skater ... not a high profile amateur career, went to skate in Ice Capades for a few years. He began doing choreography as soon as he left the show. I believe Sebastien Brittan was one of, if not David's first choreography clients. He has been doing Cynthia Phaneuf's choreography for many years now, since she was 9 or something. Not quite as long for Joannie or Jeff. David did do one of Ben's programs this year. David also did Jacinthe Lariviere & Lenny Faustino's pair programs. Although David has, and is continuing to develop quite a name for himself, his clients don't need to be the most talented nor the most high profile, he works with tons of everyday ordinary (for lack of a better way to phrase it) competitors.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland
    He has been doing Cynthia Phaneuf's choreography for many years now, since she was 9 or something. Not quite as long for Joannie or Jeff.
    I thought he had been doing Jeff's choreography since he was like 12 or something, which would make it like 10 years

Custom Title
    When I say,
    He has been doing Cynthia Phaneuf's choreography for many years now, since she was 9 or something. Not quite as long for Joannie or Jeff.
    I mean he didn't start working with Jeff or Joannie when they were as young as Cynthia was when he began doing her choreograhy.

Sorry, should have worded it differently.

Just an average girl
    Does anyone have a photo of David Wilson?
    I am very curious what he looks like.

Custom Title
    To answer wvgal57's question: does David Wilson ever do work for people outside of Canada? The answer is yes.

David Wilson did Nobunari Oda's (Japan) program. I just looked at Nobu's bio and I don't know why, but it lists Yukako Sugita as his only choreographer ... but I am positive David did at least one of Nobu's programs this competitive season.

You can also check out the Jr. Worlds results to watch Nobunari Oda (and everyone else) because he is competing this week in Kitchener.

http://www.isufs.org/results/wjc2005/

On the Ice
    He also does choreography for Dubé/Davison and Marc-Olivier Bossé.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast