Friends I need your help again | Golden Skate

Friends I need your help again

N@d&A

Rinkside
Hi everyone

OK here is the thing, My English teacher let us a homework about some information of Chicago I would apreciate If you help me answering this questions or telling me about any website where I can find information about it:

You are going on a date in Chicago and you need to find out some information. This is what you need to know to really make a good impression!

1. Why is Mrs. O’Leary’s cow so significant in Chicago history? What is the legend?

2. What is the Second City? Name three famous alumnis from there. What is going on
There this weekend?
3. Who is Chicago’s most famous gangster?

4. What is the “el”

5. Your date loves Greek food! Where is Papagus restaurant located? What is “Kiki’s
Mousakka”? What is “Tzatzki” What would you order from the menu?

6. You’re taking your date dancing and need to know who is the DJ that spins on
international night at Dino’s Taverna?

7. Where could you listen to some great Chicago Blues?

8. You are going to take your date to see a theater or dance perfomance. Choice either
A play or a dance performance for this weekend.

9. What is the “magnificant mile”?

10. Pick three other famous Chicago landmarks that you would like to go see.

11. Who is a famous architect that lived in Chicago and designed many buildings there and around the World?

This are the questions, please help me!! I can´t believe how hard is for me find this information
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING BYE!

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
I can help you with a couple.

1. Legend has it that Ms. O'Leary's cow started the great Chicago fire. Kicked over a bucket and knocked over a latern, and Chicago burned.

2. Second City is a comedy group. Um, a lot of people on Saturday Night Live came from there, not sure exactly who at the moment. If you google "second city" you should find your answers.

3. Al Capone is the gangster you are looking for, I believe

4. The "el" is the elevated train that runs through Chicago. Like a subway, but above ground.

10. One landmark you must see is Wrigley Field, where the Chicago Cubs play baseball. :)

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
5. Moussaka is a casserole of layers of eggplant, ground meat, and sauce
Tzatziki is a dip of yogurt, cucumber , and garlic

9. The magnificent Mile is an area on Michigan Avenue that has great stores, restaurants, and hotels...a shopper's paradise!

10. more landmarks Buckingham Fountain, The Sears Tower, Lincoln Park Zoo, Grant Park

11. Frank Lloyd Wright

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
OT maybe, but isn't this like getting someone else doing your homework for you? Not trying to scold but that is what I think of when someone has schoolwork and wants someone else to find answers for you. If I'm not thinking correctly, let me know.

Nadia, if you go to Google.com and type in "Chicago entertainment" it will list sixteen million wesites about that topic. Any of the first few should answer questions about where you can go on a date there.

MM

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Grgranny said:
OT maybe, but isn't this like getting someone else doing your homework for you? Not trying to scold but that is what I think of when someone has schoolwork and wants someone else to find answers for you. If I'm not thinking correctly, let me know.

She's just being creative in locating sources. She could google everything, but how much more interesting will her paper be if she has accounts from "real" people?

Laura, teacher :)

This question has bugged me for years. Does anyone know the answer?

12. What does " toddlin' " mean?

MM

ChiSk8Fan

On the Ice
N@d&A said:
Hi everyone

OK here is the thing, My English teacher let us a homework about some information of Chicago I would apreciate If you help me answering this questions or telling me about any website where I can find information about it:

You are going on a date in Chicago and you need to find out some information. This is what you need to know to really make a good impression!

1. Why is Mrs. O’Leary’s cow so significant in Chicago history? What is the legend?
***Mrs. O'Leary's cow, bu legend, started a fire in a barn which spread through the city due to high winds, etc. It is merely a legend.

2. What is the Second City? Name three famous alumnis from there. What is going on there this weekend?
*** Famous Comedy Club and school for Improv---John Belushi, Joe Piscopo and Eddie Murphy all did work at Second City, as have other SNL alums.

3. Who is Chicago’s most famous gangster?
***Al Capone.

4. What is the “el”
***"el" is short for the elevated train system.

5. Your date loves Greek food! Where is Papagus restaurant located? What is “Kiki’s Mousakka”? What is “Tzatzki” What would you order from the menu?
***Papagus is a Greek food restaurant chain with several Chicagoland locations. In Greektown, many such restaurants are there in the near-north side.

***Call Dino's and ask.

7. Where could you listen to some great Chicago Blues?
***The House of Blues.

8. You are going to take your date to see a theater or dance perfomance. Choice either a play or a dance performance for this weekend.
***Whatever is playing at Chicago's Auditorium Theater.

9. What is the “magnificant mile”?
***Upscale shopping district downtown.

10. Pick three other famous Chicago landmarks that you would like to go see.
***Sears Tower, Water Tower Place, Navy Pier

11. Who is a famous architect that lived in Chicago and designed many buildings there and around the World?
***Frank Lloyd Wright. You can take a tour of his homes.

This are the questions, please help me!! I can´t believe how hard is for me find this information
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING BYE!

Hope this helps!

heyang

Record Breaker
Don't forget that OPRAH is in Chicago!!!

The John Hancock Building is great for a view of Chicago at night. There's a bar on the top floor and every seat has access to a window view. It is truly spectacular.

Also, Chicago cuisine is famous for deep dish pizza an steak. Gino's East is supposed to have the best pizza - the walls have thousands of autographs. I have to admit to not going to a steak house, but Ruth Chris's is famous. We went to Charlie Trotter's, but don't get sick there because the only place to lie down is the settee in front of the entrance door.

The Water Tower is a landmark on the Magnificent Mile. Marshall Field's dept store is a Chicago landmark - just as Macy's Herald Square is to NYC

Can you guess that I enjoyed my visit to Chicago?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Our Girl Scout Council had a teen trip to Chicago for girls 12 to 18. One of the things the girls wanted to visit and we wanted to include was a visit to Harpo studios and a taping of the Oprah show because she is such an inspiring role model. We were VERY disappointed that she would not allow the girls to attend. I can understand that all of her shows are not geared for that age group but you would think that a few times a year there could be shows geared toward teens. Council was wlling to schedule the trip around Harpo's schedule but no luck. :disapp: :disapp: :disapp:

heyang

Record Breaker
Piel,

That's too bad for your girls. Her website does say that all attendees must be 18 years or older. The only people under age 18 in her studio are the occasional guest.

Perhaps you should e-mail and suggest they do a take-your-daughters-to-work type show. She is an advocate of women power and you would think she would want to empower young ladies somehow.

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
N@d&A said:
8. You are going to take your date to see a theater or dance perfomance. Choice either

Personally, I would pick something for the Joffrey Ballet. Here is their website:
http://www.joffrey.com/

I've been to Chicago a few times and it's a wonderful city. Good luck with your assignment!!!

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

Lcp88

On the Ice
Arg, I really need to start checking here more often (I only live about 25 minutes from the the city.) Everyone has given really great ideas, so heres just a few other suggestions (from a "native :p ")

You can try going to The Briar Street Theatre (www.briarstreettheater.com) and The Aragon Ballroom (www.aragon.com) for concerts, or try the brand new theatre in Milinium Park for more artisic dance preformances.

- DJ Mar, but don't ask me why I even know this...

Let me know if you need anything more detailed...