Natalia Mishkutenok interview(she's getting remarried) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Natalia Mishkutenok interview(she's getting remarried)

Linny

Final Flight
Odd impression

That's quite odd. I did not get the feeling that Natalia was trying to turn Craig into a figure skater. Instead, I got the feeling that Craig wanted to hitch himself to Natalia's star by becoming her partner.

But I don't have any thing that was said or done to back up my impression. So don't make this into a big rumor <blush>.

Linny

curious

Final Flight
Linny said:
That's quite odd. I did not get the feeling that Natalia was trying to turn Craig into a figure skater. Instead, I got the feeling that Craig wanted to hitch himself to Natalia's star by becoming her partner.

But I don't have any thing that was said or done to back up my impression. So don't make this into a big rumor <blush>.

Linny

that's the impression I got from the fluff piece glad she put all that bizarre chapter of her life behind and moved on. One thing is for sure,the gal likes tall strong masculine men ala artur.:biggrin:

lulu

Final Flight
An actual skating question.
That I would :love: if someone could try to answer if for me!
Although don't get me wrong, Artur & Natalia's personal life is very interesting. :biggrin:

I'm not trying to "bash" anyone since I like both teams(although truth be told, I like M&D more).

But how would you compare M&D and K&D?

For example I'm hardly a skating expert-but it seems that M&D probably had better basics than K&D?
Or, am I totally off base?

I also remember in the 1998 Olys, Hamilton mentioning that K&D's lifts had better speed than M&D.

heyang

Record Breaker
I remember the interview with Natalia and Craig. She said they got the idea about skating together from watching The Cutting Edge.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Lulu, I agree with you. Natalia did have basic skills than Oksana. Also, I have felt that Artur and Natalia skated more as one unit, whereas Oksana was more of a prop for Artur's skating (this actually came out much harsher than I mean it). On the other hand, Oksana I think had a certain lightness that Natalia lacked, especially at the '94 Games.

brad640

On the Ice
soogar said:
My guess is that Artur might have been having something on the side with Natalia and that would be why she was "crushed/surprised" that he was marrying another woman.

If Artur did hurt her then her best revenge is that she looks great now and he does not. Natalia may have been criticized for weight gain in her competitive days, but Artur is much heavier now than when he was competing. At cup of Russia, Peter Carruthers did a fluff piece on the concession stand food at the Russian arena, and showed athletes and coaches. He showed Artur and Oleg Ovsiannikov waiting in line for food and I could not believe how much weight both of them had gained. Even though they are no longer competing, it seems like they would want to maintian their health since they are still associated with the sport.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
brad640 said:
Even though they are no longer competing, it seems like they would want to maintian their health since they are still associated with the sport.
It is common for former athletes to have big problems with weight since their bodies get so accustomed to heavy athletic load. Natalia is an active coach whereas Artur is a choreographer. My guess is that Natalia thus gets more of a daily workout than Artur.

Jill

On the Ice
SkateFan4Life said:
IMHO, if Craig had a problem with Natalia speaking Russian - why didn't he learn some Russian so he could converse with his wife in her native tongue? After all, she learned English. DUH!:

I hate it when people speak another language when they know English. I know what that's like first hand and it always bothered me, too. My opinion is, you want to live here, learn the language. Had I moved to my husband's native country, I sure as heck would have to learn theirs, just as I'm sure that had Craig moved to Russia with Natalia, he would'nt have much choice but to learn Russian. I guess they figured that perhaps they might have a better life here, where English is spoken.

Don't get me wrong, I love Natalia and her skating. I guess living in America sometimes isn't all apple pie and cultural differences are a reality.

76olympics

On the Ice
Artur is a big guy-build and height; he probably would have to really work out to maintain a slim physique. It made me feel empathy for Natalia when I heard that she had to work on this so much during her competitive days. Maybe that stress was tougher for her to handle whereas being out of the spotlight has made Artur relax his regime. Who knows?

I do know Liz Manley who is preoccupied with weight issues said in her second book that all of the physical exercise from skating didn't cause her to lose as her body was so used to that level of activity. Probably everyone has a "natural" figure and it is difficult to force yourself into a different mold (though all of the figure skaters even the "so-called bigger" ones are probably tiny compared to the average person. I know that is true of Liz who looks fine to me!)

lulu

Final Flight
Ptichka said:
Lulu, I agree with you. Natalia did have basic skills than Oksana. Also, I have felt that Artur and Natalia skated more as one unit, whereas Oksana was more of a prop for Artur's skating (this actually came out much harsher than I mean it).

I understand what you're saying. :)
Second question: was there any difference between Artur's basics when he skated with Natalia than when he skated with Oksana?

About K&D. I think that there is a big difference between their eligible skating and their professional skating. I think Oksana really came into "her own"(to use an old cliche phase) as a profesional. I also think that M&D and K&D both had different types of "rapport" with each other. I could not see K&D pulling off "Rach" like M&D did. But, I can't see M&D doing a routine like "Somewhere Out There" either. :biggrin:

As much as I like K&D, and truly admire Oksana, it would have been interesting to see what M&D would have thought of if they continued to skate together. My biggest regret about M&D is that they really didn't have that many routines to their name. While K&D really got more of a chance to really develop as professionals, with routines such as Spente Le Stelle, Fly Me To The Moon and the :rock: The Matrix.

lulu

Final Flight
brad640 said:
If Artur did hurt her then her best revenge is that she looks great now and he does not.

Again, did any of the commentators mention that Natalia & Artur were dating at the time(not if they ever dated in the past) Tatiana got pregnant?
Or is this stuff just assumptions people are making?
I mean that as an honest question, because I didn't watch every single fluff piece or read every interview etc.
I'm also not saying the guy's a saint or that I wouldn't believe it.
And if it is true, than it is almost as juicy as the Sasha-Pasha-Maya triangle, didn't see the day when THAT would happen. ;)

Anyway, M&D aren't throwing rocks at each other now. :laugh:
From what I've read Artur & his wife seem like a cute couple, and I hope that Natalia & Allan will be happy as well.

Natalia does look awesome! :rock: :rock:

Last edited:

Eeyora

Final Flight
I would definitely rank M&D over K&D. Their style was more innovative and original.

curious

Final Flight
revenge because the guy didn't fall for her is a big waste of time. she is doing the right thing now,I'm happy for her.

AMonger

Spectator
Jaana said:
Not wishing to defend the hockkey-player, but I can well understand if he was not happy to be in a room with all the other people speaking a language he did not understand. Besides, I think it was not polite towards him from the others to behave in that way. He apparently was no linguist, and my guess is that Russian is not one of the easiest languages, LOL.

As if English is easy to learn????

Effy

Rinkside
Chaig Shepard coach for WC pais

One of the lesser placed easteuropean pairs was coched by Craig Shepard Same guy???

Sabrine Tornston

Spectator
JillLaQ said:
I hate it when people speak another language when they know English. I know what that's like first hand and it always bothered me, too. My opinion is, you want to live here, learn the language. Had I moved to my husband's native country, I sure as heck would have to learn theirs, just as I'm sure that had Craig moved to Russia with Natalia, he would'nt have much choice but to learn Russian. .
Craig had a problem with Natalia speaking Russian to her family. Frankly, I don't know what he expected. Natalia's mother and grandmother (who lived in Russia, by the way) had other things to worry about. Not to mention, learning a foreign language at 50 and 70 ain't easy. Craig should have taken it upon himself to learn some Russian. Relationships aren't about "rules" ("she lives in my country so how dares she not speak English") - it's about making each other's lives better.

Kuchana

On the Ice
Thanks for the info! It's nice to hear the update on Natalia even after all this time. Makes me miss her and Artur's skating:( Pair skating hasn't been the same ever since :( Didn't care for his partnership with O.K.

Regarding the possible love connection, I also thought back then that Natalia seemed more in love or maybe infatuated with Artur than he was with her. I remember during one of their pro-skates, how one of the commentators was talking about their on and off skate life with each other. One of them went on to say that Natalia's feelings towards Artur was obvious as they skated.

Last edited:

dmr65

On the Ice
Nope, I never recalled anyone (i.e) Natalia, Artur, Moskvina or anyone else confirming anything between them.. As mentioned here, some of us felt or sense Natalia may have had eyes for Artur, but that does not mean she hated the guy because he had someone else.. (that's not his fault, nor can you blame her.. Artur was FINE! back them.. I still love him... ) If she hated him for any reason, why has she kept a communcation relationship with him to this day. Also, I recall an old fluff yrs ago where they were speaking to Natalia, and his husband to be back then.. She still kept pictures of Artur, and Artur and herself. I was very pleased back then to have seen that..

A little off topic: Anton S and Maria Petrova agreed to split, because Anton wanted to skate with Elena Berezhnaya. That did not stop Maria and Elena from seeming to be friendly and chatty off ice..

We just can't go around making confimations based on assumptions or emotions.. :yes:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
AMonger said:
As if English is easy to learn????

Well, I personally think that English is one of the easiest languages to learn quickly to speak and write somewhat, at least in that measure that one is understood and also is able to follow conversations. Of course it might not be grammatically correct English at all, but who cares... The main thing is that others understand the meaning, LOL. I would say that nobody (unless one speaks Esthonian) would learn to manage with e.g. Finnish in such a short time. And while thinking back that short time I tried to learn some Russian, LOL, it is not an easy language at all, in my opinion.

Last edited: